Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
Zach is the grad qb, Tyler is a sophomore OL.

It was said Tyler was in, then you all talked about Zach.

I figured Zach would go, and I wasn't sure Tyler would follow or not.

So - who is in?
Tyler is in. I’d guess because of Big Red and the newest OL commit

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
He's the QB who ran out of bounds on the last play against UVA during the 2022 season (I think that's what he did). There was a LOT of angst in the GT community about it but thankfully he overcame that and gave us some pretty good play after that once he was adequately prepared. The coaches said that they really didn't get him ready for that UVA game.
That’s Zach. The guy said that about Tyler

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
That’s Zach. The guy said that about Tyler
And if you read my reply I said I hadn’t realized the original poster wasn’t talking about Zach because I saw it mentioned he was a grad which I know Zach is and Tyler isn’t. I also said I didn’t mean to cause any more confusion. Again I didn’t mean to cause more confusion.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Dang I hate to lose a young 4-star OL
I suspect we had an idea he was considering leaving and feel good about our depth. We did recruit 10 linemen last year and this year. I think with Gibson leaving we will have no OL left from the 2022 class of HS recruits. But we’ve added some through transfer as well. So maybe we are getting to a point where all the OL on the roster are guys Key really wants?

Mattmc10

Jolly Good Fellow
I suspect we had an idea he was considering leaving and feel good about our depth. We did recruit 10 linemen last year and this year. I think with Gibson leaving we will have no OL left from the 2022 class of HS recruits. But we’ve added some through transfer as well. So maybe we are getting to a point where all the OL on the roster are guys Key really wants?
Is Brandon Best still on the team?

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Sheesh.

I think the one-and-done scenario has ruined...well, diminished college basketball, and I have a hard time believing that transfers with one year of eligibility left are good for our football program.

I never served in the military, but I suspect that in WWII there was a big difference between the unit which had been together since basic training and the one which was made up largely of replacements. Did any of the originals even know the new guys names?

Will we remember any of these one-year transfer portal guys five years from now?

Techfiend

Georgia Tech Fan
Sheesh.

I think the one-and-done scenario has ruined...well, diminished college basketball, and I have a hard time believing that transfers with one year of eligibility left are good for our football program.

I never served in the military, but I suspect that in WWII there was a big difference between the unit which had been together since basic training and the one which was made up largely of replacements. Did any of the originals even know the new guys names?

Will we remember any of these one-year transfer portal guys five years from now?
The difference is one and done in BB are all true Freshmen. Using a transfer FB player to plug a hole in his last year of eligibility gives you a better chance to win while recruiting/developing a young player for that spot. Then you have to work to keep that young player, lol.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Sheesh.

This is actually the bonus of the systems we are trying to run. Defensively one and dones are not an issue. If we have guys that know defense and are constantly bringing in grand transfers when needed we can benefit.

Its sorta no different than we would have done with grad transfers in the past and its a alot easier to keep a big nasty DT eligible for one semester as a grad transfer or one year senior thats pro bound than it is to keep them eligible for 3.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Is Brandon Best still on the team?
Yes he is. When I was looking at the roster yesterday I somehow missed his name. I even went so far as to look to see if he had transferred and didn’t find him so I thought it curious he wasn’t on the roster page but it turns out it was PBKAC (problem between keyboard and chair - ME ha hah). In this case I’m glad to be mistaken and appreciate your post making me look again.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Yes he is. When I was looking at the roster yesterday I somehow missed his name. I even went so far as to look to see if he had transferred and didn’t find him so I thought it curious he wasn’t on the roster page but it turns out it was PBKAC (problem between keyboard and chair - ME ha hah). In this case I’m glad to be mistaken and appreciate your post making me look again.
I saw his name listed on the "participated" list a few times this season. Unknown if it was significant time though.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Malcolm Pugh and Bryston Dixon in the transfer portal. both true Freshman DL. I think in this day with the transfer portal and such, I don't think these guys would have gotten play time anytime soon here. Apparently Dixon was injured all year tho.