Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m gonna give Key his props. The OLine is what wins games and allows the interchangeable skilled positions to work. Getting these portal Linemen is how GT will become a ranked team with sustainability so we actually become a viable choice for the kids out of high school. But that will take a 4-5 year cycle of winning so the middle schoolers of today give us a look in the future. In the meanwhile we gotta win the portal game.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I can list 10 WR’s and DB’s right now we can release from the football team. They can stay in school but not on an athletic scholarship. That may sound harsh but this is the new way to build a competitive team. Giving away scholarships to people for 4 years who minimally move the program forward is a relic from a bygone era. But I fully expect GT to continue to play the middle and stay in the middle tier.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Let's let past draft articles decide that instead of memory from almost 10 years ago:

Look at the actual draft. 3 QBs taken in the 1st round. Blake Bortals #3, Manzel #22 and Teddy Bridgewater #32.

Probably the worst QB group this Century. Bridgewater became a competent backup.

Again 21 of 32 teams passed on Jonny $$ for a reason. He was not a good QB.

Do these names ring a bell? Tim Couch, Brady Quinn, Brandon Weeden and Baker Mayfield. They are all Cleveland 1st round QB draft picks since 1999. Toss in Johnny $$ and it’s easy to see why they have been a terrible team this Century.

The team that drafts Williams will have a big part in how he develops. He has far more natural talent than any of the bad QBs Cleveland took. Mayfield is by far the best if the group. And yea he played for Lincoln Reilly. LOL

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Look at the actual draft. 3 QBs taken in the 1st round. Blake Bortals #3, Manzel #22 and Teddy Bridgewater #32.

Probably the worst QB group this Century. Bridgewater became a competent backup.

Again 21 of 32 teams passed on Jonny $$ for a reason. He was not a good QB.

Do these names ring a bell? Tim Couch, Brady Quinn, Brandon Weeden and Baker Mayfield. They are all Cleveland 1st round QB draft picks since 1999. Toss in Johnny $$ and it’s easy to see why they have been a terrible team this Century.

The team that drafts Williams will have a big part in how he develops. He has far more natural talent than any of the bad QBs Cleveland took. Mayfield is by far the best if the group. And yea he played for Lincoln Reilly. LOL

My argument wasn't about where they ended up (or going to end up with respect to Williams), or how they developed in the NFL, but where QBs were projected to go before the draft and how it can change. That's my point about Caleb Williams. He's been projected to be the 1st QB taken for the last two years. From what I'm reading from several outlets, NFL teams are not viewing him the same this year as they did last year. In addition, several other QBs have risen this year and some are saying Williams will fall from the #1 QB spot. That's where the Manziel comparison comes in.

No one is arguing Caleb's talent. No one knows how any of the QBs in this draft class will end up. If they do, they should be an NFL GM. You're arguing something totally different from what I've said.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
My argument wasn't about where they ended up (or going to end up with respect to Williams), or how they developed in the NFL, but where QBs were projected to go before the draft and how it can change. That's my point about Caleb Williams. He's been projected to be the 1st QB taken for the last two years. From what I'm reading from several outlets, NFL teams are not viewing him the same this year as they did last year. In addition, several other QBs have risen this year and some are saying Williams will fall from the #1 QB spot. That's where the Manziel comparison comes in.

No one is arguing Caleb's talent. No one knows how any of the QBs in this draft class will end up. If they do, they should be an NFL GM. You're arguing something totally different from what I've said.
I still think Williams is the firstQB taken this year. He has the highest upside. Maye is interesting. This year raised some questions, however he has all the tools needed to be an NFL QB. Daniels is the interesting guy. A bit of boom or bust with him. I will be surprised if Nix is ever more than a career backup in the NFL. Lenox, no clue on him.

Drafting aQB with a Top 5 pick is a giant risk. If theQB becomes a franchise QB, Burtow, Lawrence then the team has playoff potential every year.

If the top 5 pick QB is a bust the franchise is setback years. High risk, high reward. Quick way for a coach to get fired.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I've always had that sort of question, especially for in state guys who might qualify for the Zell or Hope Scholarships. For those guys very little NIL would be necessary to effectively match a full athletic scholarship.
HOPE only pays tuition and maybe a little on books. Drop in the bucket.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I still think Williams is the firstQB taken this year. He has the highest upside. Maye is interesting. This year raised some questions, however he has all the tools needed to be an NFL QB. Daniels is the interesting guy. A bit of boom or bust with him. I will be surprised if Nix is ever more than a career backup in the NFL. Lenox, no clue on him.

Drafting aQB with a Top 5 pick is a giant risk. If theQB becomes a franchise QB, Burtow, Lawrence then the team has playoff potential every year.

If the top 5 pick QB is a bust the franchise is setback years. High risk, high reward. Quick way for a coach to get fired.
Can we get all this NFL qb talk outta here?

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I get exceptional players transferring to get more money or and/or to enter a top program they feel will enhance their progress to the NFL and I get players transferring to get more PT and/or because they feel they are in a bad program, but I don’t get the transfer of a good, but not great, starter in a major, visible program with an upward trajectory.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Any real good (or great potential?) defensive tackles coming to Georgia Tech yet?

So far, I haven’t read of any that have committed.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Arch Manning ascends to QB2 for Texas. Malik Murphy was pretty good playing for an injured Quin Ewers. Someone will get a QB with high upside.

I know Arch is not Peyton's kid but since he's the one flush with cash in the Manning empire, maybe Peyton is "contributing" to Murphy moving on? :)

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
So Kyle Kenard has not landed anywhere yet. Is there any hope that he is staying?

With him going to be a grad student, I think the issue is more him trying to get into the grad program (which is apparently very hard from reading people’s response in the past). So I’d imagine it’s him going somewhere for a grad school compared to wanting to leave us.