Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
This is the new reality: College SAs are getting paid, and they want to get paid.

If you can't deal that, you may want to stick with High School football, or lower level college sports. I promise you, even at that level, players are getting paid. If you don't think college players haven't gotten paid in the past, whether under the table or some other means, there's plenty of articles out there proving otherwise. At least with this system a school like GT that tries to do things the right way has a chance.

You can either stick your head in the sand and pretend it's not happening, or you can accept it, and figure out a way to help your favorite team move forward with success.

Personally, I'm happy that college SAs are maximizing their earning potential. Most schools do not care whether SAs earn their college degrees, they mostly care that SAs are staying eligible so they can make schools money. Players might as well leverage that for some financial security while they still have the leverage. Be proud that we're fans of a school that genuinely cares for their SAs.

There will come a breaking point with all of this soon. GT, and similar programs, are currently stuck between two worlds. A world where we want to compete in Power 5 level sports, and world where the cost of Power 5 sports causes a wholesale change in how we've been willing to operate.

Something tells me the complexion of college sports will be altered forever very soon, and GT may not be the same GT we've grown to love.
GT will be the same GT, the football program will not. That much is now etched in stone. The only question is where GT will play. It’s untenable as it is, but if the NCAA can successfully limit transfers, it may ultimately work out. Open free agency to the highest bidder will destroy the game. It already is. The next action should be to allow multiyear contracts. That would atop it, too, but it would a purely pro system then. I don’t want that but you may love it. To each his own.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Your reply just goes to show how some fans don't understand how it works.

Before, GT would never entertain paying anyone, therefore we were out of the conversation before it even started. Now, at least we have the funds and the willingness to go down that road because it's allowed. We've gotten players, and were able to retain players, because of the system now. So yes, it's very true.
If you guys believe some of our BB players didn't get money than you really have your heads in the sand.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Just cancelled my “the Tech Way” membership. I’m not paying players to chase better opportunities. This system stinks and I’m fine contributing to Tharpe and Roll Call.
Pathetic, Your paying players to come play at Tech next season, for one season. Kenan and Kyle have both graduated, there’s nothing wrong with going somewhere else for grad school.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
All this does is kill loyalty to your school. There will be no more Brent Key’s or Kirby Smart’s in the years to come.
These kids in this instant gratification era all bleed green, no more white & gold!
No more playing for school pride, rivalries will die, we’re just teaching greed at this point.
Or we're just teaching capitalism. They should get paid. I don't know all the rules but maybe we will innovate and offer 4 year contracts.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
LOL! Judgemental, aren't we. Who are you or anyone to say how someone should spend their money? If someone does not wish to give money to Tech Way, but to the school instead, how exactly is that bad for GT. We still have to fund coaches pay, operations costs and the scholarship fund.

Personally, I agree with the other font. I would rather my money go the school than to this madness of bribing players to transfer to or stay at Tech. The whole NIL has me questioning my participation in Tech sports and whether I wish to donate my money to a corrupt and lawless system.
He didn't make a rational decision not to fund the NIL collective - he decided to cancel it...after supporting it...because he was mad that some graduate players decided to go elsewhere. Yeah...I'm judging the hell outta that.

If a fan chooses not to help fund the NIL collective, that's their choice. Given this choice said fan has made, this fan probably shouldn't be commenting on anything related to the transfer portal as said fan is part of the problem.

Sticking your head in the sand won't make it go away...neither will refusing to support the program.

Last edited:

bucknellbison31

Jolly Good Fellow
He didn't make a rational decision not to fund the NIL collective - he decided to cancel it...after supporting it...because he was mad that some graduate players decided to go elsewhere. Yeah...I'm judging the hell outta that.

If a fan chooses not to help fund the NIL collective, that's their choice. Given this choice said fan has made, this fan probably shouldn't be commenting on anything related to the transfer portal as said fan is part of the problem.

Sticking your head in the sand won't make it go away...neither will refusing to support the program.
Also, he chose to post that on a public message board. Criticism becomes fair game at that point.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow

Said fan made the decision for his own damn reasons. Said fan has the same right to comment on an internet chat site as any other idiot. Said fan still supports the program.