Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I think you are onto something. Players should have to pay their previous school a buyout for leaving for another program, just like coaches do. Brilliant idea. Kudos to you.
The players are on one-year scholarships, therefore not breaking a contract. I do not think you’re on to something. Except somehow sounding simultaneously unintelligent and condescending.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
LOL! Yeah, I do not understand how it works. Your diatribe extolling the payment to the workers (excuse me, players) stinks of dogmatic devotion to an ideology and not actual logic of the unintended consequences of what this new system will bear. I would say more, but that would delve into politics. Needless to say, there is no future version of this system where "a school like GT that tries to do things the right way has a chance." Anyone who believes this is either lying to themselves or has no clue as to the reality of the new system.
You sound personally offended by this. I don’t know why you’re so butthurt that these kids/players/workers are getting what they deserve. The market dictates it. If/when they stop getting paid because college football isn’t relevant anymore, then they’ll deserve that too. There’s kids leaving Tech to make more than many GT alumni will see in 5, 10+ years after graduation. Their skills are more in demand than even the best undergraduate engineers in the nation. Get over it.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
We need defensive players at every position when they're potential upgrades, definitely edge, DLs, LBs with good instincts. Not sure what we need offensively, probably RBs for sure.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
Joe Burrow may not attended any classes in person have when he won the Heisman at LSU. Another member posted that an SEC golf team is at a satellite campus.
Some schools have already been playing in that world for years
I went to grad school at Ga State and took all but a couple of classes at their satellite campuses because it was more convenient. Thank goodness I wasn’t playing a sport for Ga State because it appears it wouldn’t have counted as going to school.

slugboy

Staff member

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
Not the same thing.

Post in thread 'Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)'
https://gtswarm.com/threads/any-news-stage-3-press-coverage.25570/post-895905
I read too much into your reply. I was reading from the perspective “that a lot of the student athletes are pros now, so why pretend.” It sounded to me like you were equating satellite campuses with not really going to school or doing assignments.

I have no problem with “instruction coming to the athletes” if the instruction is legitimate. Personally, I wouldn’t be surprised if the instruction those athletes are getting is a little better. A lot of the “main professors” I had at Tech were horrible instructors.

slugboy

Staff member
I read too much into your reply. I was reading from the perspective “that a lot of the student athletes are pros now, so why pretend.” It sounded to me like you were equating satellite campuses with not really going to school or doing assignments.

I have no problem with “instruction coming to the athletes” if the instruction is legitimate. Personally, I wouldn’t be surprised if the instruction those athletes are getting is a little better. A lot of the “main professors” I had at Tech were horrible instructors.
Reading Joe Burrow’s story at LSU, he took online courses and did the bare minimum to get credits—he was only taking and doing the bare minimum to be eligible. He didn’t meet another student outside of the athletic program until after he got drafted, because he wanted to see what LSU was.

There are a lot of hazards with this approach:

If your university has a lacrosse campus, and you’re the lacrosse English professor, you’re under a lot more pressure to pass everyone—your job is tied to the success of the lacrosse program.

If you look at UNC’s African American Studies program, it was OK for athletes to have a “show up and get an A” program because it was available to the entire student body. Since athletes registered first, there was an entire degree program of automatic A’s and annual academic progress that was OK with the NCAA. If it’s “we have a campus for our Lacrosse team, and we bring a section of our basket weaving class there” then it’s further acceleration of UNC’s bogus academics.

There are players at Michigan State and other programs where many or all of their courses are online. This is more common—my son has online sections for some courses. Even when I was a student, there were the rumors of someone taking a class or test for another student or turning in work for another student—when courses are online, it’s even easier to cheat like this.

Sure, if the instruction is legitimate, it’s a more convenient way to learn for the athletes. And, for some schools, it will be that way. Similarly, subsidiaries are a completely legitimate business structure—but when you want to enable illicit activities, you put it in a separate set of books. If you move student athletes out of the mainstream—if they don’t mix with traditional students and professors—you give your institution a way to cover up mass cheating—or even just change the standards. If you have a separate section with a separate prof for math, the tests and homework could be substantially different. Are the accreditation people even looking at those sections in any detail? Even if they are, do you just spruce up that section for the one time every few years that someone looks?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Boys, the money has not helped 6 of these pay for play schools!
https://twitter.com/bluebloodsbias?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1730671369829183618|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=
Top NIL Programs in College Football (2023) 1 Texas A&M Aggies
2 USC Trojans
3 Texas Longhorns
4 Oregon Ducks
5 Florida State Seminoles
6 Miami Hurricanes
7 Auburn Tigers
8 SMU Mustangs
9 Tennessee Volunteers
10 Ohio State Buckeyes
Where’s the pups and Bama? Hard to believe they’re not one and two. I imagine Clempson is in the top 10.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
His DL coach and lead recruiter out of HS is expected to be the new DC at 'Cuse.

I'm not projecting him to 'Cuse; just offering an explanation for the timing of the portal entry.

Yup, read that.

He's originally from TN, so may not want to head up north. Of course, NIL factors easily changes things.