Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

bucknellbison31

Jolly Good Fellow
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NotreDame?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#NotreDame</a> tight end Holden Staes has announced his plans to enter the transfer portal.<br><br>He started eight of 11 games for the Irish this season and caught four touchdowns, including two in the win at <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NCState?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#NCState</a>.<br><br>📸: <a href="https://twitter.com/3RD13?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@3RD13</a>, <a href="https://twitter.com/insideNDsports?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@insideNDsports</a> <br><br>Story: <a href="https://t.co/yrsTpCZAej">https://t.co/yrsTpCZAej</a> <a href="https://t.co/oh0H0yIebZ">pic.twitter.com/oh0H0yIebZ</a></p>&mdash; Charleston Bowles (@cbowles01) <a href="">December 1, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1) Apologies for my messed up embed codes. Not sure what the issue is.

2) Not to belabor the "kid is from Atlanta so come back home" narrative, but he's from Atlanta (went to Westlake). Presumably a kid that cares about academics too, so this could be a good target for us.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The school has the option not to honor the athletic scholarship.
It is my understanding that the player has 30 days to decide whether to remain in the portal or withdraw and remain at his current school. There is no opportunity for the school to withdraw the scholarship during that period. I would like to see that introduced as part of the risk/reward of the transfer portal process. i think it would make a lot of these kids think a lot longer and harder about changing schools.

Go Jackets!

slugboy

Staff member
It is my understanding that the player has 30 days to decide whether to remain in the portal or withdraw and remain at his current school. There is no opportunity for the school to withdraw the scholarship during that period. I would like to see that introduced as part of the risk/reward of the transfer portal process. i think it would make a lot of these kids think a lot longer and harder about changing schools.

Go Jackets!

The school has to honor the benefits while they’re in the portal, but they don’t have to take the player back.

If a player puts their name in the portal, it’s a gamble, and they better have a place to call home.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Do you think this should also apply to coaches under contract at a certain school who jump to another school for the money? Or would it just apply to the players on 1 year scholarships?
It’s apples and oranges. However, coaches don’t hop every 1-2 years or they wouldn’t be employed. The coaches are professionals under contract. They need to go ahead and declare athletes to be contractors and wrap them up as well. That would pay them, stop the jumping, and reveal the elephant in the room.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Do you think this should also apply to coaches under contract at a certain school who jump to another school for the money? Or would it just apply to the players on 1 year scholarships?
I think you are onto something. Players should have to pay their previous school a buyout for leaving for another program, just like coaches do. Brilliant idea. Kudos to you.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I really dislike the term “big boy football.” It’s really “extortioners football.” Players leaving for more money, not a college degree. No loyalty at all in many cases, but certainly not all cases. I have no issue with players who have graduated moving on, though I would prefer, like Jaylon and Dontae, that they finish the drill where they are at. Also, if a player is buried and can get PT elsewhere, so be it, or if a coach leaves, I get that, too. There are certainly reasons to transfer, but jumping for the money should be strictly limited.
How would you identify "jumping for money" from any other reason to transfer? There is no way to factually know who is getting money and how much they are getting.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is the new reality: College SAs are getting paid, and they want to get paid.

If you can't deal that, you may want to stick with High School football, or lower level college sports. I promise you, even at that level, players are getting paid. If you don't think college players haven't gotten paid in the past, whether under the table or some other means, there's plenty of articles out there proving otherwise. At least with this system a school like GT that tries to do things the right way has a chance.

You can either stick your head in the sand and pretend it's not happening, or you can accept it, and figure out a way to help your favorite team move forward with success.

Personally, I'm happy that college SAs are maximizing their earning potential. Most schools do not care whether SAs earn their college degrees, they mostly care that SAs are staying eligible so they can make schools money. Players might as well leverage that for some financial security while they still have the leverage. Be proud that we're fans of a school that genuinely cares for their SAs.

There will come a breaking point with all of this soon. GT, and similar programs, are currently stuck between two worlds. A world where we want to compete in Power 5 level sports, and world where the cost of Power 5 sports causes a wholesale change in how we've been willing to operate.

Something tells me the complexion of college sports will be altered forever very soon, and GT may not be the same GT we've grown to love.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is so absurd, it defies logic that any reasonable thinking person actually believes this to be true.

Your reply just goes to show how some fans don't understand how it works.

Before, GT would never entertain paying anyone, therefore we were out of the conversation before it even started. Now, at least we have the funds and the willingness to go down that road because it's allowed. We've gotten players, and were able to retain players, because of the system now. So yes, it's very true.

Dinner_Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
All this does is kill loyalty to your school. There will be no more Brent Key’s or Kirby Smart’s in the years to come.
These kids in this instant gratification era all bleed green, no more white & gold!
No more playing for school pride, rivalries will die, we’re just teaching greed at this point.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Your reply just goes to show how some fans don't understand how it works.

Before, GT would never entertain paying anyone, therefore we were out of the conversation before it even started. Now, at least we have the funds and the willingness to go down that road because it's allowed. We've gotten players, and were able to retain players, because of the system now. So yes, it's very true.
LOL! Yeah, I do not understand how it works. Your diatribe extolling the payment to the workers (excuse me, players) stinks of dogmatic devotion to an ideology and not actual logic of the unintended consequences of what this new system will bear. I would say more, but that would delve into politics. Needless to say, there is no future version of this system where "a school like GT that tries to do things the right way has a chance." Anyone who believes this is either lying to themselves or has no clue as to the reality of the new system.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
LOL! Yeah, I do not understand how it works. Your diatribe extolling the payment to the workers (excuse me, players) stinks of dogmatic devotion to an ideology and not actual logic of the unintended consequences of what this new system will bear. I would say more, but that would delve into politics. Needless to say, there is no future version of this system where "a team like GT that does it right has a chance." Anyone who believes this is either lying to themselves or has no clue as to the reality of the new system.

You believe what you want. Your POV is product of "little brother" syndrome where you think GT can't measure up. Will GT ever be a 'Bama or UGA? No, those days left with Bobby Dodd. With this system GT at least has a puncher's chance. Just because you have insecurities with the way things have developed doesn't mean that's the reality. UNC and Miami have two of the biggest NIL collectives. How did that work for them against GT?

When GT's President is holding the biggest microphone shouting to fans that NIL is important and something he wants GTAA to build out, it shows you that GT is as willing as anyone to play in the current environment. That hasn't been the case with the past few Presidents.

So yes, you have no idea how any of this works...just your insecure perceptions. The players we have been able to get and retain because of NIL already proves your perception wrong.

Have a good Saturday.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
You believe what you want. Your POV is product of "little brother" syndrome where you think GT can't measure up. Will GT ever be a 'Bama or UGA? No, those days left with Bobby Dodd. With this system GT at least has a puncher's chance. Just because you have insecurities with the way things have developed doesn't mean that's the reality.

When GT's President is holding the biggest microphone shouting to fans that NIL is important and something he wants GTAA to build out, it shows you that GT is as willing as anyone to play in the current environment. That hasn't been the case with the past few Presidents.

So yes, you have no idea how any of this works...just your insecure perceptions. The players we have been able to get and retain because of NIL already proves your perception wrong.

Have a good Saturday.
I do not think you have a clue as to what drives my position (insecurity? LOL!) or how the system works. There is more evidence that you are wrong based on the players we have lost than what we have gained through the portal. But I do think you are delusional. You have a nice Saturday as well

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Just wake me when it's all over and I know who's on my team.

I'm officially to old to worry about the machinations of this dumbarse system anymore.

The Blacklist Sleep GIF by NBC
I have to say, I follow the transfers like baseball free agency. Aside from the proven players, most are roster spackle, may cover the hole, may just be a temporary patch.
It fills my daily sports news junkie needs, but it's otherwise it's mostly a reason to make light of the teams I don't like, which is almost all the other ones.
And, of course, gives me a reason to be on the Swarm.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
LOL! Yeah, I do not understand how it works. Your diatribe extolling the payment to the workers (excuse me, players) stinks of dogmatic devotion to an ideology and not actual logic of the unintended consequences of what this new system will bear. I would say more, but that would delve into politics. Needless to say, there is no future version of this system where "a school like GT that tries to do things the right way has a chance." Anyone who believes this is either lying to themselves or has no clue as to the reality of the new system.
You have to understand that the “right way” has changed as the Courts have weighed in. Blame it on the arms race the schools have been fighting the past 30 years.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You believe what you want. Your POV is product of "little brother" syndrome where you think GT can't measure up. Will GT ever be a 'Bama or UGA? No, those days left with Bobby Dodd. With this system GT at least has a puncher's chance. Just because you have insecurities with the way things have developed doesn't mean that's the reality. UNC and Miami have two of the biggest NIL collectives. How did that work for them against GT?

Have a good Saturday.
No need to get personAl. Just because people don’t like the direction we’re headed doesn’t mean they have insecurities.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
You have to understand that the “right way” has changed as the Courts have weighed in. Blame it on the arms race the schools have been fighting the past 30 years.
I blame it on the NCAA for not maintaining the control they were given, and allowing players to make some spending money on their old gear. I blame it on AA’s for encouraging rampant spending in their sport. I blame it on SCOTUS for not recognizing a difference between college and pro athletes. I blame it in businesses who stole the image of college players w/o paying them for it.