Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Jared Verse
Troy Aikman (wasn't about rotation, preferred a different style of offense if memory serves)
Dorsey Levens
Ken Whisenhunt
Keion White
Laiatu Latu
Chop Robinson
Tyler Guyton
Ricky Pearsall
Keon Coleman
Ja'Lynn Polk
Christian Gonazalez

Some of these are obviously from many years ago but most are 1st and 2nd round picks in the last two drafts alone who have all transferred and didn't seem to cause them any problems. The notion that you can bloom wherever you're planted is both outdated and in some cases wrong. It's not 100% true in horticulture, either. Some guys take different paths and/or need different mentors/coaches/environments/opportunities to achieve their potential. We didn't see that very often in the distant past because it wasn't a viable option with the restrictive nature of the rules (restrictive is just a factual description, not meant as a value judgment). Now that it is the wild west it's become commonplace. I'm not saying that's a good thing and I absolutely would agree that it's a bad decision for some, possibly even most.

With all that having been said I also do agree that there will be lots of cases where a 4* or 5* who couldn’t get on the field at Football Factory X just isn’t as good as his high school play would indicate.
Tashard Choice is another good example of why talented players transfer. He fell behind a true freshman at Oklahoma, Adrian Peterson. Was from Georgia originally (Lovejoy HS), transferred to Georgia Tech and ran for over 2,800 yards in his Junior and Senior year. Got drafted in 4th round by Dallas and played 6 years in the NFL.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
We bring back a majority of the starters but where do y’all think we should focus in the portal?

DEs. We lose 3 of our top 4, by far our biggest need. Got to have a edge rusher that can make a difference. We lose two sr DLs so a portal replacement is needed. We lose our top two blocking TEs but hopefully Seither comes back and the TEs in the 2025 freshman class look good. But another big blocking TE from the portal would help. A really strong LB would be nice and another Burrell at CB would be nice as well..