Transfer from VMI

MidtownJacket

Staff member
So let me clarify because I posted in haste when I said he won't be eating Jose's minutes.

What I meant was that I am sure Jose will play less minutes (meaning not staying on court when fatigued) but won't see his productive minutes reduced because of this pickup.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
With Moses coming on at the end of this past year and the two transfers coming in, I feel better about Tech basketball than I have in a long time. Also, Price signing will help. The key is for Banks to stay on for next year.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Can I start getting my hopes up again for GT basketball & CJP or am I in some sort of insane dream?

From a composition standpoint this is our best team since 2009. We have two guys, at least, capable of running the point at a high level in Jose and Devoe. We have another good guard scoring option in Parham. We have a solid emergency/vet type of guard in Phillips. Guard wise we're in a position where we could realistically redshirt Price which is good spot to be in.

On the wings we have 3 guys who have shown signs of being able to be solid contributors in Moore, Sjolund, and Usher which should provide us with solid production from that spot.

At the 4 Moses came on strong at the end of next year and the timing makes sense for him to develop into a contributing piece. Similar timing with Cole and if he can get healthy should provide a solid backup.

At the 5 we have Banks who is really good, and if we can land either a transfer big or a recruit (Bilau?) then we have okay depth as well.

We don't have the overall talent level we would like to have, and there are still questions that need to be answered about production from the new faces, consistency from the old ones, and the development of some of the young guys, but for the first time since 2009 imo we have a team that doesn't have an immediate glaring weakness just from a roster outlook point of view.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
With Moses coming on at the end of this past year and the two transfers coming in, I feel better about Tech basketball than I have in a long time. Also, Price signing will help. The key is for Banks to stay on for next year.
Didn’t you see that he withdrew his name and will play at Tech next year?

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Wouldn't anticipate Price seeing much playing time...maybe a Moore/Phillips role at most.

I say we need Moses to make that leap, Bubba to get his waiver, and Bubba/Usher to be more Adam Smith's than Shembari Phillips's and we could have a solid year next year. We're still really thin at the PF and C positions.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
The other thing (which may be obvious from the above write ups but still bears mentioning) is that CJP has talked ad nauseum about wanting to "run", "play in transition", "speed up the tempo", etc. This is the first roster he has with able depth to not manage scheme around weak points in the build of the team he can put on the floor. Guys also FINALLY will also have capable replacements should they run cold and need to sit for a few minutes to get their head back in the game and shake off the demons.

We won't NEED Jose to put up points in every game to have a shot at winning.

I am really looking forward to seeing this team play and the scheme we roll out, and hopeful that it will result in much better results (better basketball for fans to watch as well!)

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Is Pastner planning on changing the offense again ?
I hope so, though don't have any inside confirmation. The 4 out just doesn't seem to make sense to me. I still think we should follow more of the UVA blueprint. If we are going to have Defense be our calling card.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
I can agree I think in the month of Feb/Mar our transition offense had improved significantly ( I don't have any numbers to prove that) but our half court O looked disgusting.

slugboy

Staff member
Might actually have the players for 4 out this year--at least, closer than we were last year.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Might actually have the players for 4 out this year--at least, closer than we were last year.

If we run Usher at the 4 which likely will happen depending on matchups and Moses progression/consistency then we go 4 out for sure. Could also do it with Cole. It definitely needs to be part of our arsenal. Just don't think it needs to be what we run with Moses and Banks on the floor at the same time.

Moses on the wing on the break works really well though (y)