Transfer from VMI

Deleted member 2897

Let's get Keeling and keep Banks. Maybe we get 25???

I think we have a sound foundation if Banks stays. One more player who can give us quality minutes would be wonderful.

Yes that assumption I made is if Banks stays. We need a big, bad. Only 1 more year of Banks.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Fingers crossed we get the hardship earlier than we did for Banks. Would be great to have the team together for full summer and fall to work out together and develop chemistry on court.

Wonder if we start Parham alongside Jose & Devoe or if we use him as sixth man . instant offense a la Will Bynum?

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Huge get. Best scorer on our team from day 1. We havent had many guys like this in what feels like forever. NCAA tourny next year? This guy, jose, and hooefully Devoe makes big jump. And USC guy. Need banks to come back which I would think he is bc hes not getting drafted this year.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Lose Haywood, add Parham. Both have 2 years remaining, if you want to look at this as a swap.

In that context, I think we upgraded offensively. Parham can create his own shot AND knock it down. Every elite team has guys who can bail their team out when the shot clock in running down, and to me this was our biggest issue with the loss of Okogie.

Defensively it's likely a downgrade. We might be able to hide Parham's size better in a zone, but he won't cut down as many passing lanes. Haywood averaged 1.2 steals per game in just over 20 min of PT. That's really good and hard to replace.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Lose Haywood, add Parham. Both have 2 years remaining, if you want to look at this as a swap.

In that context, I think we upgraded offensively. Parham can create his own shot AND knock it down. Every elite team has guys who can bail their team out when the shot clock in running down, and to me this was our biggest issue with the loss of Okogie.

Defensively it's likely a downgrade. We might be able to hide Parham's size better in a zone, but he won't cut down as many passing lanes. Haywood averaged 1.2 steals per game in just over 20 min of PT. That's really good and hard to replace.

I don't think they will play the same spot in the zone. Haywood played the wing almost exclusively and Parham is going to play a guard spot (Jose or Devoe). We hide the guards and really stretch the wings so I don't think Parham has to replace Haywoods steals - we really don't get a lot of steals from the guards. The issue is he is going to have to rebound from the zone. He averaged 3.4 RPG which is about the same as Jose or Devoe - but that was in the SoCon so like can he get his shot off, we also have to see if he can rebound the way he did.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't think they will play the same spot in the zone. Haywood played the wing almost exclusively and Parham is going to play a guard spot (Jose or Devoe). We hide the guards and really stretch the wings so I don't think Parham has to replace Haywoods steals - we really don't get a lot of steals from the guards. The issue is he is going to have to rebound from the zone. He averaged 3.4 RPG which is about the same as Jose or Devoe - but that was in the SoCon so like can he get his shot off, we also have to see if he can rebound the way he did.

I agree with everything except the bolded part. Haywood and Alvarado had the highest steal rates on the team, followed by Devoe. GT was 70th nationally in steal rate and 5th in the ACC in conference-only games in steal rate. Most of the above average steal rate came from the guards.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with everything except the bolded part. Haywood and Alvarado had the highest steal rates on the team, followed by Devoe. GT was 70th nationally in steal rate and 5th in the ACC in conference-only games in steal rate. Most of the above average steal rate came from the guards.

Based on our last game, I wouldn't be surprised to see us play more man to man defense or at least mix it up more. Parham is on the small side (5'11" and 155lbs from his bio) so perhaps he is a good on ball defender.

I hope he is as good as advertised. I really thought Alvarado and Devoe played too many minutes last year. Parham and perhaps Phillips also can give our starting guards needed rest that could help us throughout the season.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Based on our last game, I wouldn't be surprised to see us play more man to man defense or at least mix it up more. Parham is on the small side (5'11" and 155lbs from his bio) so perhaps he is a good on ball defender.

I hope he is as good as advertised. I really thought Alvarado and Devoe played too many minutes last year. Parham and perhaps Phillips also can give our starting guards needed rest that could help us throughout the season.
Speaking of Phillips he had to be the biggest bust this past year based off preseason expectations right?