Transfer from VMI

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I have been feeling like we would get some good news soon, we were due. Good work CJP!
If we can keep James, Bubba gets a waiver, and we land a big that can be ready for conference play, we have a chance to be really, really good.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Jose is going to start, that won't even be a question.
He was one of the top 20 players in the league last season in my metrics.

He's much better on the defensive end and has 1 1/2 yrs of ACC experience against 0 yrs of ACC experience for Parham.

As Borzello put it in his write up on ESPN, Parham will have a smaller role where ever he lands than he did at VMI, but he can be a valuable asset.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I can't see Alvarado losing many (if any) minutes to him. More likely to see him running at the 2 with JA bringing the rock up the court.

Both Jose and Devoe averaged over 35 min per game in conference. With Philips flaming out and Haywood playing inconsistently on the wing (not 2G), that was primarily due to a lack of viable replacement - not that their performance demanded 35 + min per game. I have not seen this guy play much but if he is as advertised he will eat into minutes for both of them as they all 3 seem to be able to handle the ball and Devoe can play PG as well. How the minutes get split between the 3 of them will depend on whether this guy gets his waiver, whether he can consistently score in the ACC any where near like he did at VMI and what type of progress our incumbents - especially Devoe - make over the summer.

Our achilles heel is scoring. If this guy can indeed bring that then he will get minutes from both our incumbents.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We have 80 minutes to share at the two guard spots. Part of the concern last year was the number of minutes Jose and Devoe had to play because the other guys could not play at that level (or anything close). Usually, guys who play 25-30 mpg have better 40 minute production than guys who play 30-35 minutes. Fatigue is always a factor when minutes go up. I bet CJP would love to have four competent ACC guards.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
I have been feeling like we would get some good news soon, we were due. Good work CJP!
If we can keep James, Bubba gets a waiver, and we land a big that can be ready for conference play, we have a chance to be really, really good.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk
Well, we kept James.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Bubba would be an ideal option off the bench, much like Tadric. However, I wouldn't be suprised with him starting alongside Alvarado and Devoe.

If he gets a waiver I think he is first guard off the bench.
Devoe and Jose both have a full year of ACC experience and time playing together. That is likely to help this season. I can see him being the third guard in the rotation though and getting significant min.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
If he gets a waiver I think he is first guard off the bench.
Devoe and Jose both have a full year of ACC experience and time playing together. That is likely to help this season. I can see him being the third guard in the rotation though and getting significant min.

Hopefully he can start classes this summer and begin developing chemistry with his new teammates. That will be a key to our success this upcoming season.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Likely will be
Starters: Alvarado, Devoe, Usher, Wright, Banks
Rotational: Bubba, Moore, Sjolund, *New Big
Limited: Phillips, Cole

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Do you remember the Nova teams a few years back (Randy Foye, Kyle Lowry, Allan Ray)? They always played three guards and they were pretty good.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I see something along the lines of

PG - Jose
SG - Devoe
SF - Moore
PF - Wright
C - Banks

As the starting line up to begin the year with Usher possibly sliding in at the 3 once he is eligible and Sjolund getting spot minutes. Bubba the first guard off the bench and Phillips likely being the emergency guard with Price either RS'ing or getting spot minutes. I think Cole will likely back up the 4 with Moses sliding to back up the 5 when Banks goes out and maybe a big, either transfer or Bilau could get some burn down low as well.

I think we will play some small lineup with Jose, Devoe, and Bubba at times, especially before Usher is available, and that it is tempting to do so with our struggles on offense last year, however I think that would be over reacting. Last year our biggest issues offensively were a lack of consistency combined with the fact that even when Devoe and/or Jose were having an off night they were still playing 35 mins because there was no option that could come in and improve things. What Bubba gives us is an option to turn to when one of Jose or Devoe aren't on. That is especially true if we actually get some production from Moses at the 4. Overall I only see us using a small line up a lot in either the extreme good (overwhelming offense) or extreme bad case (continued inconsistency and general lack of offense).

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
A note: Bubba hit 35 points against Kentucky this season, when VMI, not too good a team, only lost by 10 points. He shot 10-16 from 3 pt. land. And he was just a sophomore. Wow. I guarantee he will be getting a lot of minutes.