TQM did better than you give credit!

Jimd99

Georgia Tech Fan
If I wanted to read about "fans" being tacky towards our players, I would invite my Dawg acquaintances to this forum. Our players deserve our respect and support, win or lose. An honest critique is expected, but it doesn't have to be disrespectful. I'm excited about this year and looking forward to a successful 2018 at GT.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
the TO passing system structurally is as weak as the run system is strong--but TM does not help AT ALL--he's short but is not a JT--and he needs a BeyBey badly

I don’t know if I agree with this. I do think spending the required time practicing our TO running system makes it very difficult to be good at passing. But how many times a game do we see a receiver (usually an a-back) break wide open, completely uncovered, only for the QB to not find him or pass protection break down too soon. We had one of those again on Saturday. The system we have does create some amazing passing opportunities, we have just not done enough to execute many years.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know if I agree with this. I do think spending the required time practicing our TO running system makes it very difficult to be good at passing. But how many times a game do we see a receiver (usually an a-back) break wide open, completely uncovered, only for the QB to not find him or pass protection break down too soon. We had one of those again on Saturday. The system we have does create some amazing passing opportunities, we have just not done enough to execute many years.

T e reason I have a problem with the passing system is multiple--1. we start under-ctr on snap 2. we fake to bback before going back which delays seeing recs 3.-the guys who can handle the ball in this Offense are shorter which means they have problem seeing over line 4-. no big TE to block or rec close to LOS 5. as you said the pass blocking gets ignored some 6. we normally have much smaller Abacks blocking MUCH bigger LBs in scheme 7. our Offense does not attract a torrent of great recs
Is this enough? you can quibble on these but the combination of problems is overwhelming

T e reason I have a problem with the passing system is multiple--1. we start under-ctr on snap 2. we fake to bback before going back which delays seeing recs 3.-the guys who can handle the ball in this Offense are shorter which means they have problem seeing over line 4-. no big TE to block or rec close to LOS 5. as you said the pass blocking gets ignored some 6. we normally have much smaller Abacks blocking MUCH bigger LBs in scheme 7. our Offense does not attract a torrent of great recs
Is this enough? you can quibble on these but the combination of problems is overwhelming
Starting under center is what makes the TO work. You MIGHT get better passing not starting under center, but the rushing game would go down. And don't tell me other teams run an option offense out of the shotgun or whatever; NONE of those teams run the TO or really even anything comparable. Because Tech is never going to get the big as hell linemen and other blockers, and the TE position is not in CPJ's playbook, we play to our strengths, or you might say weaknesses. At any rate, even with less than acceptable passing (in some people's opinions), the offense has NEVER been the problem; it's ALWAYS been the defense. Hopefully we finally have a DC who knows how to use what he has.

gt69hjcollins

Georgia Tech Fan
From what I saw yesterday, TM doesn't have the strongest arm in the world. He has to put a lot of air under the long throws and struggled with his accuracy throwing to the wide-side of the field. There's nothing right or wrong about that. He is what he is. It's up to CPJ to game plan around TM's strengths so the team will be successful. I believe that's what he's done and what he's going to continue doing.
It appeared to me that TM was not shifting his weight properly in the first half and it resulted in high floating passes. He gained some confidence and really stepped into the throws in the second half . They had better zip on them. If he can maintain his confidence and rhythm I think he can be an effective passer. Giving him a little more time to get set would help.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Here's the thing about TQM: He was never a strong passer to begin with, so to expect him to become a top tier passer at this level is bit too much. However, TQM can be an effective passer. To me, it looked like TQM was a bit rushed from recognition to release. What I mean was, as soon as he saw the guy he wanted to throw to open, the clock in his head told him to get it out quickly....which caused his throwing mechanics and base to go off sync and throws started sailing. One other thing I noticed, which CPJ mentioned, is TQM isn't looking at all his reads. Specifically, he's not reading the seams and missing wide open ABs...which is why Clinton Lynch and Searcy seam to be little used. It's an issue that actually started last season. GT fans who've been paying attention to this offense since CPJ got here know it's no secret: QB can make hay down the seams with our ABs in the passing game.

Here's the positive: Those things are EASILY correctible. TQM doesn't have a cannon like Nesbitt or Vad, but he's got enough arm strength to make all the throws.

Another positive I took away from the Alcorn State game: Taquan is becoming more comfortable waiting until the very last second to pitch the ball to the AB causing defenders to commit.

Still WAY too early to make to a definitive assessment on TQM for 2018. Would I have liked for him to look like JeT? Sure, but I'd rather him get all the cobwebs out in a game against Alcorn, and improve on a weekly basis. I think we'll see a more polished TQM and a more polished offense overall in week 2.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Here's the thing about TQM: He was never a strong passer to begin with, so to expect him to become a top tier passer at this level is bit too much. However, TQM can be an effective passer. To me, it looked like TQM was a bit rushed from recognition to release. What I mean was, as soon as he saw the guy he wanted to throw to open, the clock in his head told him to get it out quickly....which caused his throwing mechanics and base to go off sync and throws started sailing. One other thing I noticed, which CPJ mentioned, is TQM isn't looking at all his reads. Specifically, he's not reading the seams and missing wide open ABs...which is why Clinton Lynch and Searcy seam to be little used. It's an issue that actually started last season. GT fans who've been paying attention to this offense since CPJ got here know it's no secret: QB can make hay down the seams with our ABs in the passing game.

Here's the positive: Those things are EASILY correctible. TQM doesn't have a cannon like Nesbitt or Vad, but he's got enough arm strength to make all the throws.

Another positive I took away from the Alcorn State game: Taquan is becoming more comfortable waiting until the very last second to pitch the ball to the AB causing defenders to commit.

Still WAY too early to make to a definitive assessment on TQM for 2018. Would I have liked for him to look like JeT? Sure, but I'd rather him get all the cobwebs out in a game against Alcorn, and improve on a weekly basis. I think we'll see a more polished TQM and a more polished offense overall in week 2.
I would take this more seriously if Shane Falco wasn't your avatar. How could he lose that bowl game? SMH.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Techster.... good points. The most important one being that he waited until the last second to pitch the ball. That is where most big plays come from, and he looked like a different player from last year in that regard. He will knock down some deep passes but if he reads the pitches right, that is the most important thing.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Starting under center is what makes the TO work. You MIGHT get better passing not starting under center, but the rushing game would go down. And don't tell me other teams run an option offense out of the shotgun or whatever; NONE of those teams run the TO or really even anything comparable. Because Tech is never going to get the big as hell linemen and other blockers, and the TE position is not in CPJ's playbook, we play to our strengths, or you might say weaknesses. At any rate, even with less than acceptable passing (in some people's opinions), the offense has NEVER been the problem; it's ALWAYS been the defense. Hopefully we finally have a DC who knows how to use what he has.

Please go back and read FIRST sentence---it says PASSING system- (NOT T.O.) my point is that much of what helps the run game hurts the passing-- if we are so good on offense why don't we always outscore the other teams ?--see dook,uva, and uga last yr--and I think we have had 2 of last 3 losing seasons for some reason, hmmm--high on the list is passing problems ---let me know when we pass +50% rate and complete more than 2 30 yd passes to keep the DBs honest for the run game in a conference game

alagold

Helluva Engineer
We wouldn't want QB's undercenter making passes

Like this?

With near guaranteed one on one for our WR, we only really need one standout WR. So far, we have done pretty well at having a stud at the position.

if you think that the passing game last yr and in Alcorn game was good with recs we have , bless you, I just disagree,

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
if you think that the passing game last yr and in Alcorn game was good with recs we have , bless you, I just disagree,
It's just one game (and really only the first half was even "bad").

Instead of focusing on negative plays, I'd rather let positive plays excite me:

If we have a threat that can win jump balls, our passing game will improve.

Please go back and read FIRST sentence---it says PASSING system- (NOT T.O.) my point is that much of what helps the run game hurts the passing-- if we are so good on offense why don't we always outscore the other teams ?--see dook,uva, and uga last yr--and I think we have had 2 of last 3 losing seasons for some reason, hmmm--high on the list is passing problems ---let me know when we pass +50% rate and complete more than 2 30 yd passes to keep the DBs honest for the run game in a conference game
IMO higher on the list as to why we have had 2 losing seasons is NOT not having a good passing system (whatever that means), but because we did not have a dependable defense.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
IMO higher on the list as to why we have had 2 losing seasons is NOT not having a good passing system (whatever that means), but because we did not have a dependable defense.

I disagree. I remember Richt depending on our DBs to stay ten yards off the line of scrimmage so they could bubble screen us to death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It's the offense, not the players. How can a QB function properly when he is running all out on 99% plays called? When can he catch his breath? He's constantly taking hits. Playing QB isn't an east chore and our offense makes it a lot tougher. I'm tired of hearing we can't compete unless we run this f'd up offense. We did before and we can again. What has actually been accomplished in the last ten years that hasn't already been done by other coaches at our great Institute? Don't give me OB victory or Conf champs. We've won NC's and multiple conf titles before Paul Johnson.

Tebow managed to do quite well at UF with these same issues. Ditto the dude from Louisville the last 2 years, ditto Cam Newton, and on and on and on.

As for CPJ....I guess he is lacking in producing a natty for us.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Tebow managed to do quite well at UF with these same issues. Ditto the dude from Louisville the last 2 years, ditto Cam Newton, and on and on and on.

As for CPJ....I guess he is lacking in producing a natty for us.
I agree with your assessment generally.

Just as a counter point though, Lamar Jackson average over 30 passing attempts a game. Cam Newton 20. Tim Tebow 15.
Tebow is definitely a fair comparison, but Cam is a stretch (the most JT averaged was 13).

My assumption though is running a HUNH offense and throwing 30+ times while rushing 17+ would be just as exhausting.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Quick update to what I posted above.
Lamar Jackson's 2016 season he had:
13 games
409 pass attempt
260 rush attempts.
Justin Thomas's 2014 season had:
14 games
187 passing attempts
190 rushing attempts.

With how many more plays other teams are running, I don't know how tired we should really expect our qbs to be compared to others. I realize the rushing attempts are masked a bit on plays where the qb pitches, but I don't know if that is enough to seriously tax the qb physically.