TQM did better than you give credit!

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is a team game. I reviewed the 1st half and found the A-backs did not get the ball because the play was not called or the defense took away that option. All this bad reads and hogs the ball stuff is hogwash. Stars denote what I believe to be a miss by TQM.
  • 1st bad option the backside let people through
  • *2nd bad option miss read by TQM 2:41 1st half (the DE faked the BBack take, TQM was quick to pull and may have the DE to switch targets)
  • 3rd bad option (TQM scramble) the pitch man was blocked
  • 4th (maybe) bad option (counter option) TQM turns it up for +17 yards, might should have charged the pitch man and forced the pitch, but 17 yards is not bad (2nd Q 4:42)
I would say 1 miss read and 1 he may have played a little outside the system. He had many good reads and pitches both left and right.

It takes a team to pass
  • 1st bad pass, was about to be sacked and Brad slipped
  • 2nd bad pass (caught but not called a reception) he had someone hit him as he threw
  • *3rd bad pass he threw it to no one in the endzone? or the route was not right hard to tell.. either way he was hit backside right after he threw but he did not see the pressure so I say this was on TQM
  • 4th bad pass hit receiver in both hands and dropped
  • 5th bad pass he had a blitz, Brad slipped, TQM was pancaked!!! (maybe why the next two passes happened the way they did...)
  • *6th bad pass, threw too amped no direct pressure... all on TQM
  • *7th blitz and should have been thrown away or take the sack... TQM

I would say 3 of the misses were all on TQM. I think the last two are what people keep in mind. Either way the team needs to improve on passing. Giving TQM a little more time may help settle him down. TQM is not paid... why are you hating on a student athlete... parents are on the board. Say what you want to say, but words do impact people.

Deleted member 2897

This is a team game. I reviewed the 1st half and found the A-backs did not get the ball because the play was not called or the defense took away that option. All this bad reads and hogs the ball stuff is hogwash. Stars denote what I believe to be a miss by TQM.
  • *2nd bad option miss read by TQM 2:41 1st half (the DE faked the BBack take, TQM was quick to pull and may have the DE to switch targets)
  • 4th (maybe) bad option (counter option) TQM turns it up for +17 yards, might should have charged the pitch man and forced the pitch, but 17 yards is not bad (2nd Q 4:42)
I would say 1 miss read and 1 he may have played a little outside the system. He had many good reads and pitches both left and right.

It takes a team to pass
  • 2nd bad pass (caught but not called a reception) he had someone hit him as he threw
  • *3rd bad pass he threw it to no one in the endzone? or the route was not right hard to tell.. either way he was hit backside right after he threw but he did not see the pressure so I say this was on TQM
  • 5th bad pass he had a blitz, Brad slipped, TQM was pancaked!!! (maybe why the next two passes happened the way they did...)

I would say 3 of the misses were all on TQM. I think the last two are what people keep in mind. Either way the team needs to improve on passing. Giving TQM a little more time may help settle him down. TQM is not paid... why are you hating on a student athlete... parents are on the board. Say what you want to say, but words do impact people.

I am a big fan of TaQuon and the guys and that wouldn’t change if they never played another snap again. His passion, sense of humor.......he just happens to also be a baller. These are Tech men who didn’t choose the easy road. They chose the path less traveled, and are deserving of our fandom and respect whether we win 10 games or 6 or 0.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think you can point out deficiencies like pocket presence or passing stance or any particular items on a student athlete. But a complete beat down in my opinion does no one good on a public board with so many athlete parents here. I am not the message board nazi, people gonna say what they want...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Just rewatched the game after driving back from Atl.

Biggest worry is not TQM - he is way better at seeing the field and can hit the quick inside slant or wr curl back .

On long throw to BS he was hit and started to run then stopped and made the pass. Last year he would be off to the races.

Also his throw to camp on side line was right at the line and was a high arching throw. Imo that was a "see, stop, pop PASS. "

I saw improvements.

What i am wondering about is the season ending risk the of the pass/scramble which s one if our biggest plays. TqM gets wrecked HARD from many odd angles. Oh well he is a warrior and a warrior's got to do his thing.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

It takes a team to pass

Very good post. I might quibble, but your post makes good points.

Leggggooooo beat da bulls

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

It takes a team to pass

I went back and watched all 18 Pass plays. Took notes. Pass protection, play calling and receivers shoulder a lot of the blame. TQM is a serviceable thrower, but he's not a great passer. The team needs to be putting him in a position to succeed if they want him to complete passes.

I only disagree on what you call the 3rd bad pass. If that's the one to "Clinton Lynch", but really no one in the area. Got hit right as he threw and I think the intended receiver got held. So, 2 just flat out bad passes on TQM. Otherwise, I agree with you:

1st & 10 at GT 20 (6:50 - 1st) TaQuon Marshall pass incomplete
Taquon was hit as he threw, hurried.
3rd & 14 at GT 16 (6:01 - 1st) TaQuon Marshall pass complete to Brad Stewart for 9 yds to the GTech 25
Had to scramble out of the pocket. Might have had another receiver open. Bad view on TV. Brad should have run past the chains but it looked like he was covered pretty well.
1st & 10 at ALCN 44(12:32 - 2nd) TaQuon Marshall pass incomplete
Camp "out of bounds". Was a low snap. Taquon picked up the snap and fled back nine yards under pursuit. Had less than two seconds before he got hit as he threw.
2nd & 5 at ALCN 29 (10:47 - 2nd) TaQuon Marshall pass incomplete to Clinton Lynch
Hit as he threw. Poor protection. Looked like Lynch got held (up) or he might have been closer to the ball.
3rd & 5 at ALCN 29 (10:42 - 2nd) TaQuon Marshall pass complete to Qua Searcy for 11 yds to the AlcSt 18 for a 1ST down
Had ~1.5 seconds before he got hit and had three guys in his face when he threw. Searcy was wide open. Tightly thrown ball.
1st & 10 at GT 12 (5:19 - 2nd) TaQuon Marshall pass incomplete to Qua Searcy, broken up by Qwynnterrio Cole
Marshall got the ball away quick, good protection. Tightly thrown ball. Searcy dropped a ball right in his hands.
1st & 10 at GT 34(4:07 - 2nd) TaQuon Marshall pass incomplete to Brad Stewart
Less than 2 Seconds, before he got hit HARD as he threw. No time to get set. LB came through totally untouched. Stewart fell down.
1st & 10 at ALCN 49(3:33 - 2nd) TaQuon Marshall pass complete to KirVonte Benson for a loss of 2 yards to the GTech 49
Screen, blown up. Four guys chasing TaQuon and 2 more on Benson. Complete pass, but for loss.
1st & 10 at ALCN 38 (1:37 - 2nd) TaQuon Marshall pass incomplete to Qua Searcy
First just flat out bad pass TQM threw in the game. A short pass, 6-7 yards, well over Searcy's head.​

3rd & 10 at ALCN 38
(1:25 - 2nd) TaQuon Marshall pass intercepted Taurence Wilson return for 3 yds to the AlcSt 35 GEORGIA TECH Penalty, Defensive pass interference ( Yards) declined
"Pass Interference" against Clinton Lynch(?) Wes said Lynch, but I thought it was Camp? Ball was catchable (doh). Receiver got tripped and pushed down, pulled on the DB as he went down. He stays up, he should have the ball for a nice gain.​

1st & 10 at ALCN 40
(0:11 - 2nd) TaQuon Marshall pass incomplete
Taquon rolled out and overthrew Camp. Second bad pass. But he was on the move.​

2nd & 10 at ALCN 40
(0:05 - 2nd) TaQuon Marshall pass complete to Brad Stewart for 7 yds to the AlcSt 33
Had defenders right up in his face and got the ball off.​

1st & 10 at GT 3
(6:24 - 3rd) TaQuon Marshall pass complete to Jalen Camp for 8 yds to the GTech 11
Good protection, slightly low, Camp had to go to the ground for it. Overall, did what it needed to.​

2nd & 2 at GT 11
(6:24 - 3rd) TaQuon Marshall pass incomplete
The almost interception. On the replay, looks like Stewart has eye contact with Marshall, but gave up on the ball for some reason. Miscommunication. Pretty well thrown ball though (doh!)​

1st & 10 at GT 15
(5:14 - 3rd) TaQuon Marshall run for 14 yds to the GTech 29 for a 1ST down
Called pass. Scramble, pocket completely collapsed.​

1st & 10 at GT 29
(4:41 - 3rd) TaQuon Marshall pass complete to Brad Stewart for 9 yds to the GTech 38
Good protection, good pass​

2nd & 1 at GT 38
(4:24- 3rd) TaQuon Marshall pass complete to Qua Searcy for 25 yds to the AlcSt 37 for a 1ST down
Scrambled out of the pocket, nice dump to Searcy.​

1st & 10 at ALCN 37
(3:51 - 3rd) TaQuon Marshall pass complete to Jalen Camp for 13 yds to the AlcSt 24 for a 1ST down
Good protection. Pass was slightly low, but it got the job done.​

1st & 10 at ALCN 24
(3:07 - 3rd) TaQuon Marshall pass complete to Brad Stewart for 24 yds for a TD, (Brenton King KICK)
No pocket or protection at all. JeT-like scramble and heave. Announcers said he "ran around until someone got open." Nah, never had a chance to look downfield until he got loose and saw Brad completely uncovered.​

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
The only think i'll take issue with is that some of his complete passes were bad passes, too.

A couple of times iirc, ,he drove Camp to his knees to make a catch, killing the play there. If he hits him in the chest, maybe camp can get more/big yards.

If we're going to give him a break on bad plays that maybe weren't his fault, we need to ding him on good plays that other guys made good plays on to bail him out.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
From what I saw yesterday, TM doesn't have the strongest arm in the world. He has to put a lot of air under the long throws and struggled with his accuracy throwing to the wide-side of the field. There's nothing right or wrong about that. He is what he is. It's up to CPJ to game plan around TM's strengths so the team will be successful. I believe that's what he's done and what he's going to continue doing.

It takes a team to pass

This is funny.

From what I saw yesterday, TM doesn't have the strongest arm in the world. He has to put a lot of air under the long throws and struggled with his accuracy throwing to the wide-side of the field. There's nothing right or wrong about that. He is what he is. It's up to CPJ to game plan around TM's strengths so the team will be successful. I believe that's what he's done and what he's going to continue doing.
I'm just concerned that we don't have anyone better at this point. He can't win the big game.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This is pretty much the way I read it. The O performance was lacking on pass protection and, in general, TaQuon made decent throws. The miscommunication with the WRs is what bothers me the most. They worked on this a lot and then flubbed in game situations. I sincerely hope this gets worked out in practice this week. TM is very close to doing quite well, but the combo with his WRs has to work for that to happen.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
TQM did as well as coaching and the system will allow him to do.

He is a senior. He has been exposed to this coach and system for years

He, like our OL, might improve, might grasp the system or it might be IIWII.

Same with ST. They will be what they are from day one to graduation.

That is our system.

Hopefully Woody will get immunization shots.

Animal02

Banned

It takes a team to pass

Personally, I think threads (and mosts posts) calling out individual players like the other TQM one, should be deleted by the mods. As you stated, these are student athletes. They are doing more than 99.9% of us could dream of doing or have the talent for.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
There is a tendency for many to draw pretty strong negative conclusions about a player when only having part of the information needed to draw a reasonable conclusion. Since these are students playing their heart out for our beloved team I hope less of that occurs going forward or at least it is more tactfully expressed. Critical such as saying Taquon cannot win a big game not only are ridiculous in that football is not an individual sport but amount to vapid conjecture instead of constructive criticism