TQM did better than you give credit!

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm just concerned that we don't have anyone better at this point. He can't win the big game.

As someone concerned with TM's passing, this is too far. This is game one. Maybe he was off a bit. Maybe against Clemson he'll pull a JT against FSU and put the team on his back and will us to win. He can step up. Yesterday wasn't great but it certainly isn't the final indicator of anything. TM has a big heart - he may shock you out there.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
As someone who was very concerned about TQM's passing after Saturday's game, I appreciate the info in this thread. Thanks to all who did the breakdowns and posting the results. it makes me feel better about TQM, although it makes me feel worse about our ability to pass block.

After all these years, how come we can NEVER seem to protect our QB in pass blocking?

TaxJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This is a team game. I reviewed the 1st half and found the A-backs did not get the ball because the play was not called or the defense took away that option. All this bad reads and hogs the ball stuff is hogwash. Stars denote what I believe to be a miss by TQM.
  • 1st bad option the backside let people through
  • *2nd bad option miss read by TQM 2:41 1st half (the DE faked the BBack take, TQM was quick to pull and may have the DE to switch targets)
  • 3rd bad option (TQM scramble) the pitch man was blocked
  • 4th (maybe) bad option (counter option) TQM turns it up for +17 yards, might should have charged the pitch man and forced the pitch, but 17 yards is not bad (2nd Q 4:42)
I would say 1 miss read and 1 he may have played a little outside the system. He had many good reads and pitches both left and right.

It takes a team to pass
  • 1st bad pass, was about to be sacked and Brad slipped
  • 2nd bad pass (caught but not called a reception) he had someone hit him as he threw
  • *3rd bad pass he threw it to no one in the endzone? or the route was not right hard to tell.. either way he was hit backside right after he threw but he did not see the pressure so I say this was on TQM
  • 4th bad pass hit receiver in both hands and dropped
  • 5th bad pass he had a blitz, Brad slipped, TQM was pancaked!!! (maybe why the next two passes happened the way they did...)
  • *6th bad pass, threw too amped no direct pressure... all on TQM
  • *7th blitz and should have been thrown away or take the sack... TQM

I would say 3 of the misses were all on TQM. I think the last two are what people keep in mind. Either way the team needs to improve on passing. Giving TQM a little more time may help settle him down. TQM is not paid... why are you hating on a student athlete... parents are on the board. Say what you want to say, but words do impact people.

On you're 3rd bad pass I think it was a really bad reading of the defense by either the AB or WR (can't remember who was running the route). They could have burned the DB if they kept running but for whatever reason the decided to try to stop in space when there wasn't any available....

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if the scripted passing drive was intend for Lucas Johnson?
Was l j injured way before this script was decided.
COACH had been talking about giving him some time -- so we could use his skills when needed.

I felt coaches did great in the second half.

OL CAME OUT FULL FORCE.

Woody rallied the team to hold them to Zero.

Let the true freshman return punts inspite of youthful indiscertions.

Let the young db and safeties play fast - but not starting near the line of scrimmage!

Hope coaches can keep getting the whole team better against usf and Pitt!

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I’ll take the TM that played against Tennessee all day long. After that game, I thought he would be the best ever under CPJ. I’m hoping we see that one from here on out.

I’m with you. I was very impressed with that performance, and thought we really had something on O. I think the patchwork Oline after that really affected things. Hoping for a return of Cooper and Marshall soon.

I think there’s also an element of guys getting up for games like that one, versus not being dialed in to face Alcorn. Hoping they are focused for USF.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
I wonder if the scripted passing drive was intend for Lucas Johnson?
Was l j injured way before this script was decided.
COACH had been talking about giving him some time -- so we could use his skills when needed.

I felt coaches did great in the second half.

OL CAME OUT FULL FORCE.

Woody rallied the team to hold them to Zero.

Let the true freshman return punts inspite of youthful indiscertions.

Let the young db and safeties play fast - but not starting near the line of scrimmage!

Hope coaches can keep getting the whole team better against usf and Pitt!

I’m pretty sure the “scripted” passing drive in the second half was a game time adjustment by CPJ to address an issue he saw in the first half. It may have been conceived for LJ but I doubt it was the plan going in to the game. I’ll leave it at that.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I think threads (and mosts posts) calling out individual players like the other TQM one, should be deleted by the mods. As you stated, these are student athletes. They are doing more than 99.9% of us could dream of doing or have the talent for.

I think that depends on the "calling out". It doesn't bother me if someone states that Brad Stewart slipped on the out route or that TQM threw a bad ball on such and such pass. What bothers me is when people say player X can't win a big game or Player X should be playing in a lower division. If you just make an analysis of a play that is what the players will be doing during film study to learn from. Brad already knows that he slipped and TQM already knows that he threw some balls too high. None of the players deserve to be told that they aren't good enough to play FBS football by middle aged men with beer bellies who don't even have the stamina to sit in the stands to watch the game because it is too hot.

BootsCostMoney

Georgia Tech Fan
After getting a chance to watch the game on tv versus in-person, I have to say that I agree with the overall premise of this thread. If we can clean things up with all parties involved in the passing game and establish the run, Duh Bulls are gonna be in for a long, frustrating afternoon.

Animal02

Banned
I think that depends on the "calling out". It doesn't bother me if someone states that Brad Stewart slipped on the out route or that TQM threw a bad ball on such and such pass. What bothers me is when people say player X can't win a big game or Player X should be playing in a lower division. If you just make an analysis of a play that is what the players will be doing during film study to learn from. Brad already knows that he slipped and TQM already knows that he threw some balls too high. None of the players deserve to be told that they aren't good enough to play FBS football by middle aged men with beer bellies who don't even have the stamina to sit in the stands to watch the game because it is too hot.
Agree, I don't view an analysis of a play as calling out a player......we would not have any "Longest Day" videos ;)
I am sick and tire of the arm chair coaches saying XXX sucks or shouldn't start in front of YYY, etc. etc.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

So, I wanna try this out. I saw someone on our defense (nameless for now because I want to know if this is okay) tackle the opponent without even attempting to lift his arms, much less wrap up. This happened on more than one series so it appears that the coaches didn’t address this with him. Not wrapping up will often be okay against a smaller player but that will often fail against the bigger players like we will see this weekend. So, is this statement okay even with a player’s name? Did anyone else notice this on the field?

I 100% agree that we should never belittle our student athletes.

Leave my beer belly out of this! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Animal02

Banned
So, I wanna try this out. I saw someone on our defense (nameless for now because I want to know if this is okay) tackle the opponent without even attempting to lift his arms, much less wrap up. This happened on more than one series so it appears that the coaches didn’t address this with him. Not wrapping up will often be okay against a smaller player but that will often fail against the bigger players like we will see this weekend. So, is this statement okay even with a player’s name? Did anyone else notice this on the field?

IMO, saying player XXX missed a tackle on play A, B, C, is legit. Saying Player XXX can't tackle and Player YYY should be starting instead is over the line.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

I saw it too and posted about it elsewhere. He’s got to stop doing that or he will just bounce off some guys. Not to mention he just turned himself into a human torpedo to make the tackle, which could easily be flagged as targeting.

I'm not sure there was only one Tech defender doing that, and it's something that has bugged the hell out of me for years, even before Roof. Some of our defensive players just flat don't know how to tackle, and it shows in the games. I feel pretty sure that Woody is aware of it and was aware of it before the game, and I feel even more sure that Woody will address it and continue to do so until the players guilty of that kind of performance get it through their thick skulls that you have GOT to complete the tackle, wrapping the ball carrier up and bringing him down. And any other Tech defenders near the play need to get in on the action too to prevent the ball carrier from slithering away or dragging the one tackler with him for 5 to 10 more yards

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It was 32. He did hit hard and it was a successful tackle. Coaches will fix this.

What was wonderful about Saturday was we were way better in our angle of attack.

In past we seemed to stop and then grab . The runner then goes by as we grab then ride for 5 yds while others pile on.

I like the hit the guy quick as u can and trust that help is ok n the way.

So far it's great

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
It was 32. He did hit hard and it was a successful tackle. Coaches will fix this.

What was wonderful about Saturday was we were way better in our angle of attack.

In past we seemed to stop and then grab . The runner then goes by as we grab then ride for 5 yds while others pile on.

I like the hit the guy quick as u can and trust that help is ok n the way.

So far it's great

Yep but still got to wrap up!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I'm with @Animal02 on this one.

I would say there's a difference between chat and after the game. During chat, I have less problem with guys griping about a number or a name for seeming repeated mistakes. Afterwards, I prefer when people focus on particular plays rather than sweeping generalizations. If there are going to be generalizations, then I prefer caveats like, "It seemed to me that player xxx never tried to wrap-up etc"

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Ragging on Taquan is ridiculous. He is far and away the best thing we have going on offense. If he were not so mobile, he would probably have been killed by our OL last year. Our best play is when he goes back to pass, breaks away from 5 people chasing him and runs for his life. Without Taquan, I think we would be looking at 3 wins this year.