TQM did better than you give credit!

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
I think it’s okay to say that we’re concerned about TM’s passing when he threw for 37% last year and didn’t look good (my opinion) in week one. It’s realistic and really not degrading, its just stating a concern based on the fact that 37% is a bad number. Every preseason magazine, newspaper article, in-game broadcaster is going to bring it up. TM and Coach Johnson are going to bring it up. Fans are going to talk about it and I think if we dance around stuff too much, this board won’t be a very fun place to come to. Our society is becoming more sensitive and in some cases for good reason but I just don’t see discussing concerns in a respectful but honest way as crossing any line.

I don’t believe in name calling, condescending talk, and I sure as heck wouldn’t boo any of our players. These players are incredibly gifted and in most cases going on to do great things and I’m happy to support them.

Animal02

Banned
I'm not sure there was only one Tech defender doing that, and it's something that has bugged the hell out of me for years, even before Roof. Some of our defensive players just flat don't know how to tackle, and it shows in the games. I feel pretty sure that Woody is aware of it and was aware of it before the game, and I feel even more sure that Woody will address it and continue to do so until the players guilty of that kind of performance get it through their thick skulls that you have GOT to complete the tackle, wrapping the ball carrier up and bringing him down. And any other Tech defenders near the play need to get in on the action too to prevent the ball carrier from slithering away or dragging the one tackler with him for 5 to 10 more yards
I think the targeting rule makes lots of players timid about form tackling........I have seen it called on perfect tackles. Just because helmets connect, does not make it targeting.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Part of the issue is that Marshall has the experience at QB you'd normally see of a redshirt sophomore but has the eligibility of a senior. If TM were a soph now instead of a senior there would be the perspective that he will grow a lot, both during the year, and for future years and there would be a more positive light being shone. However, as a senior, you're playing for this year only, and the expectation is to be pretty much ready to go out the gate. TM did not play at the level we should expect from a senior QB. It's not all on him, as he's probably only at QB because of injuries, but that doesn't really change the level of play. Maybe things will click and he'll make a big leap, but it needs to happen soon for this year to be special.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Facts versus emotion... TQM had X% completions first half ... or that play he really missed a wide open receiver and he did it three times that game... this is a place were we discuss our favorite team and players. A little more emotion is ok with CPJ as he is paid and not a kid going to school in my opinion.

At the same time players parents don't have to come here. But on the other hand, public words have consequences. Running down one of our athletes in public is not good. We think this is a private conversation, but these conversation are not private.

I just hate seeing a good person ran down by emotion or I guess I would hate to see one of our student athletes dog piled even if they were not very good.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
A little more emotion is ok with CPJ as he is paid and not a kid going to school in my opinion.

I feel like this line of thinking is overblown. First of all, a college senior is 22-23 and there are plenty of adults that age who have been working for years, and to act like they are still a kid is disingenuous and disrespectful to the SA as well. Secondly, many of the athletes we have would not have gotten into GT without their athletic ability. They don't have to compete against the regular applicant to get in, and that is a big deal and holds value. On top of that they get a full ride scholarship almost entirely for their ability to play football, because the academic bar is very low, even at GT, which may not be worth what they are bringing in to the university, but try telling that it is nothing to the students going into a lot of debt to get that same education.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
I think it’s okay to say that we’re concerned about TM’s passing when he threw for 37% last year and didn’t look good (my opinion) in week one. It’s realistic and really not degrading, its just stating a concern based on the fact that 37% is a bad number. Every preseason magazine, newspaper article, in-game broadcaster is going to bring it up. TM and Coach Johnson are going to bring it up. Fans are going to talk about it and I think if we dance around stuff too much, this board won’t be a very fun place to come to. Our society is becoming more sensitive and in some cases for good reason but I just don’t see discussing concerns in a respectful but honest way as crossing any line.

I don’t think you crossed a line or anything, but TM threw 50% yesterday and showed marked improvement from the first half to the second half. That should be the emphasis rather than focusing on last year’s 37%.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t think you crossed a line or anything, but TM threw 50% yesterday and showed marked improvement from the first half to the second half. That should be the emphasis rather than focusing on last year’s 37%.

I can see that, but it was against Alcorn State and it didn’t look crisp IMO. I’ll be excited to see improvement against a bigger sample size. Again great athlete and I like the kid.

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks for posting this!! I think our Qb is a great leader and will be fine this year! He will get better because great leaders always get better! He is going to lead us to Charlotte!

I’m ready for Marshall to get a road win this year! If we can come out and make it happen this early in the season, it’d be a huge moral victory for our troops, especially or captain QB! Go Jackets!

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I think people forget how lucky we have been in the CPJ era with Josh, Tevin, Justin, and TaQuon. There are many potential QBs for our teams who would not manage the offense nearly as well as these 3 have (see: Vad).

It's the offense, not the players. How can a QB function properly when he is running all out on 99% plays called? When can he catch his breath? He's constantly taking hits. Playing QB isn't an east chore and our offense makes it a lot tougher. I'm tired of hearing we can't compete unless we run this f'd up offense. We did before and we can again. What has actually been accomplished in the last ten years that hasn't already been done by other coaches at our great Institute? Don't give me OB victory or Conf champs. We've won NC's and multiple conf titles before Paul Johnson.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@up state jacket please list the years of the NC and conf titles and devision titles. Now add in a marker for required graduation rate. Now plot graduation rate on the same time line. Also plot a ratio of money spent to the average spent by conference. That is a hard one to find. The rules have changed and the money has changed. We are GT and data should beat emotion.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
It's the offense, not the players. How can a QB function properly when he is running all out on 99% plays called? When can he catch his breath? He's constantly taking hits. Playing QB isn't an east chore and our offense makes it a lot tougher. I'm tired of hearing we can't compete unless we run this f'd up offense. We did before and we can again. What has actually been accomplished in the last ten years that hasn't already been done by other coaches at our great Institute? Don't give me OB victory or Conf champs. We've won NC's and multiple conf titles before Paul Johnson.
It has given us an offense on the level with the Ralph Friedgen days, one that will consistently be in the upper quartile of all offenses. It has done that with players who are in the third quartile of talent (in conventional schemes). When it has had talent in the 2nd quartile, it has given us the best offense in the nation or close to it.
What it has not done yet is give us a good defense. Our defense has been in the 3rd or 4th quartile for his entire tenure (save the first year when we had an NFL D-Line). IF we can pair this offensive system with a defensive system that gets us to at least the 2nd quartile, then we will all have a Merry Christmas!!! That's it. Nothing else matters. Stop focusing on anything but that. ... (and maybe a kicker) :)

Stop The Insanity.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow

With all due respect, this is ridiculous. Many, many, many programs try and fail to run different varieties of pass-happy offense. Syracuse goes 3-9 every year trying it... Kansas can't get it down... Florida State just scored 3 points against Virginia Tech... Texas Tech throws more than anyone and sucks... This is a player issue. In fact, if Georgia Tech had a Khalil Tate (From Arizona) and a wide receiver on par with a Smelter (to add to Camp and Stewart)... Georgia Tech would be a top 10 team and in the hunt. Thats 2 guys... Marshall is going to have a fine season, but somewhere in a big game the passing attack is going to be in issue, but thats no an offense thing... thats because Marshall isn't a great passer. Again, sub in Khalil Tate from Arizona, get one more high level WR, and THIS YEARS team could be talking ACC Championship.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
This is a team game. I reviewed the 1st half and found the A-backs did not get the ball because the play was not called or the defense took away that option. All this bad reads and hogs the ball stuff is hogwash. Stars denote what I believe to be a miss by TQM.
  • 1st bad option the backside let people through
  • *2nd bad option miss read by TQM 2:41 1st half (the DE faked the BBack take, TQM was quick to pull and may have the DE to switch targets)
  • 3rd bad option (TQM scramble) the pitch man was blocked
  • 4th (maybe) bad option (counter option) TQM turns it up for +17 yards, might should have charged the pitch man and forced the pitch, but 17 yards is not bad (2nd Q 4:42)
I would say 1 miss read and 1 he may have played a little outside the system. He had many good reads and pitches both left and right.

It takes a team to pass
  • 1st bad pass, was about to be sacked and Brad slipped
  • 2nd bad pass (caught but not called a reception) he had someone hit him as he threw
  • *3rd bad pass he threw it to no one in the endzone? or the route was not right hard to tell.. either way he was hit backside right after he threw but he did not see the pressure so I say this was on TQM
  • 4th bad pass hit receiver in both hands and dropped
  • 5th bad pass he had a blitz, Brad slipped, TQM was pancaked!!! (maybe why the next two passes happened the way they did...)
  • *6th bad pass, threw too amped no direct pressure... all on TQM
  • *7th blitz and should have been thrown away or take the sack... TQM

I would say 3 of the misses were all on TQM. I think the last two are what people keep in mind. Either way the team needs to improve on passing. Giving TQM a little more time may help settle him down. TQM is not paid... why are you hating on a student athlete... parents are on the board. Say what you want to say, but words do impact people.

the TO passing system structurally is as weak as the run system is strong--but TM does not help AT ALL--he's short but is not a JT--and he needs a BeyBey badly