Top 5 Tech games you have seen of all time

Regarding GT v georgie 2014, I disagree as a Tech fan.

If I just sat down to watch a college football game and didn't have a rooster in the fight, I'd might agree that it was a great game start to finish.

As a Tech fan, I still can't watch it without getting upset over how Smelter went out, over JT's TD not at least being ruled down by forward progress, JT's losing the ball while his arm was going forward, and not just the FG but the OT PAT being blocked because they plowed over our center.*

So much of that game pissed me off, the ending was great, but I disagree about start to finish.

*Also it made me wonder why we didn't run 3-4 on D more often.
If not for the refs and the mutts' nefarious antics, the game should have been a blow out for Tech.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

If I just sat down to watch a college football game and didn't have a rooster in the fight, I'd might agree that it was a great game start to finish.

As a Tech fan, I still can't watch it without getting upset over how Smelter went out, over JT's TD not at least being ruled down by forward progress, JT's losing the ball while his arm was going forward, and not just the FG but the OT PAT being blocked because they plowed over our center.*

So much of that game pissed me off, the ending was great, but I disagree about start to finish.

Agree with all points. Perhaps a better way of describing my top games is a requirement that they serve a raging set of emotions for 60+ minutes and ultimately ends with a GT win. So many "I can't believe that just happened" moments in '14. Or, as a GT fan, maybe a bunch of "is this really how we're going to lose this year?" followed by "we run this state"... again and again.

BobintheATL99

Jolly Good Fellow
You probably know this but a lot of games are on YouTube. GTBob’s channel has quite a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am GT Bob. For posterity sake, the GT Alumni Association has archive level copies of everything that I have. I gave the videos to them with the intent that they should be shared, so if something happens to me, the GTAA has EVERYTHING as well.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It was a friend's. Definitely have felt increasing guilt over the years. Yet I might still make the same decision, I don't know. Part of me was agitated that the wedding date was scheduled AFTER the football schedule was released. Not only was it Clemson at home, but it was Homecoming if I recall correctly.

My kid(s) will be smarter than to schedule a wedding on a fall Saturday without first understanding if we have a bye. I regretfully got married out of town the weekend of the '08 Peach Bowl, though hindsight 20/20 says I was a genius.

Scheduling a wedding date on a Saturday in the South is tantamount to heresy of the first order as we all know that in the South "Football is a religion and Saturday is its Holy Day"

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
2015 FSU game gets too much love from Tech fans. That entire season was an embarrassment and huge letdown. I was so numb by the time that game rolled around I barely got excited when the play happened.
You have a valid point. But sometimes a team has to take what it can get. The 2015 win over FSU was similar to the 2011 win over Clemson and the win over Alabama in 1981. Totally unexpected wins over top 10 teams by either poor (81 and 2105) or mediocre as in 2011 Tech teams. We have all seen Tech ruin a season for a front runner, usually but not always Clemson, to the point where it has become almost expected.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer

Having to overcome all that is part of the reason I love that game so much. All those times when the Mutts got every break imaginable and would win. But not this time. Every other time, maybe another team folds. But that not afternoon. Not that team. They kept swinging away.
And delivered the gut punch loss of all gut punch losses. The 08 drought breaker was greater - it snapped the losing streak, it was one of the great Tech second half comebacks of all time and the looks on the Mutts faces after the first seven minutes of the third quarter, they had no idea what just hit them. How could a high school offense do that to their vaunted Dwags?
The thing about 14 too is ... it made them realize again how much they hate losing to us . Any Georgia fan who doesn't think this is much of a rivalry, even with the lopsided W/L record the last 40 or so years, realizes deep down that it's on again.

GTRoy

Georgia Tech Fan
I'll only include games I saw in-person... which means I have to leave out uga '14 and '16. For what it's worth, I didn't really start following GT football until my freshman year of 2004.

1. GT @ UGA (2008) - Broke the streak. The most incredible game I've ever seen. We had no chance at halftime and we found a way to win.
2. GT @ FSU (2009) - A back and forth game that had everything. A lightning delay, a lot of offense, and JfN stealing back the fumble.
3. GT vs. FSU (2015) - The Miracle on Techwood Drive. Nothing else needs to be said.
4. GT vs. Clemson (2009) - I actually give the nod to the regular season game over the ACCCG. This is the game I realized we had the potential to be really good.
5. GT vs. Notre Dame (2007) - Drove all the way to Notre Dame to see this. Totally worth the drive and the speeding ticket in southern Indiana.

Honorable Mentions (in no particular order):
1. GT vs. Clemson (2009/ACCCG) - For obvious reasons.
2. GT vs. VT (2009) - VT had escaped with an undeserved victory in 2008. It felt good to knock them off the pedestal in this one.
3. GT vs. Miami (2008) - This game was awesome.
4. GT vs. Maryland (2006) - Michael Johnson with two sacks to close out the game.
5. GT vs. FSU (2008) - Miracle on North Avenue.
6. GT vs. UNC (2013) - This game is super-underrated. The defense tightened up in the second half. The rain was pouring down. The stadium lights illuminated the rain. This was BDS@HGF at its finest.

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
Fwiw, the uva game was in 1990, not 1991. The national championship Citrus Bowl was new year's day 1991.

Those two games make my list with 2008 u[sic]ga and both games against CU in 2009.
Didn't we win in the fall of 91 at Bobby Dodd with another last second FG?

It's possible that I'm going crazy, but I'm pretty sure I was there.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Didn't we win in the fall of 91 at Bobby Dodd with another last second FG?

It's possible that I'm going crazy, but I'm pretty sure I was there.

You're right. I ASSumed based on the previous post which had mentioned 1991 and "in Charlottesville." I had forgotten the actual 1991 game. Good call!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
So it is July and the Summer drags on. We anxiously await the new jerseys, fall camp, and kick off. Soooo I would like to put it out there, what are your Top 5 Tech games of all time ranked 1-5 and briefly a why beside each.

I don’t have five. I have two.

2. Vs Alabama, 1981. Beat Bama at Legion Field, 21-20. Proved that we could win.
1. Vs Notre Dame, 1980. Tied 3-3. Probably the greatest football game I’ve ever seen. ND was Number 1 coming in to face Tech, while Tech was talking of dropping Div 1 football. Still, my all time favorite game.

BobintheATL99

Jolly Good Fellow
My favorite games (All in person)
5) Nesbitt makes a hole in the Wake DL in OT to win. GT and Wake Navy Pilots loss their jobs...
4) 98 GT UVA - Joe Ham/Dez White Explode
3) 99 COFH... it was a fumble
2) Miracle on Techwood Drive - Wife is an AU grad that missed the kick six to come watch us lose to U(sic)GA in 13, we skipped her 20th HS reunion to make this game... totally worth it.
1) Kick and the Pick... Whipsaw of emotions... Great game between two great teams. We never gave up.

I love the historical perspective from some of our older members. These are my favorite games...

BobintheATL99

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t have five. I have two.

2. Vs Alabama, 1981. Beat Bama at Legion Field, 21-20. Proved that we could win.

1. Vs Notre Dame, 1980. Tied 3-3. Probably the greatest football game I’ve ever seen. ND was Number 1 coming in to face Tech, while Tech was talking of dropping Div 1 football. Still, my all time favorite game.

This exists somewhere... I’m sure.