Top 5 Tech games you have seen of all time

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I think (HOPE) that Woody's contribution to the D will free up CPJ to get excited again. The past few years under Groh and Roof probably took a lot out of him.
He was 50 for the 08 UGAG game. PJ is 60 now. I was there when his team wished him happy birthday - when he turned 40. So it might take a little more effort these days for those epic fist pumps from 08 COFH.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
My 5 favorite games,

5. 1989 uga at Tech. This one was very important because we finally were breaking out of a long slump in Tech football. Setup for the 1990 NC
4. 2008 uga Tech
3. 2004 Clemson at Tech: The muff & The Catch by CJ
2. 2015 vs FSU
1. 1991 Citris bowl vs Nebraska

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Not sure about #2 - 5, but #1 was the 1952 Tech - Alabama game, won by Tech 7 - 3. This November game was the decisive game in our national championship season. I think it may have been the first nationally televised college football game. As I recall, the decisive series came in the second half (I think late 3Q), Alabama leading 3 - 0, first and goal on the Tech 5 yard line. If Alabama scored, it seemed unlikely Tech would be able to overcome a 10 - 0 lead. Tech stopped 'em three times. On 4th down from about the Tech 2, Alabama's Bobby Marlow (over 200 lbs, a big halfback in those days) ran wide. One Tech player between him and the goal line, little 155 lb Jackie Rudolph. Rudolph flipped him upside down at about the 3. Knocked Jackie out, but Tech went on to win 7 - 3. A picture of this tackle was all over the papers. And years later when I was a student at Tech and entered Dean Griffin's office (dean of students) for the first time, this amazing picture covered the entire wall behind his desk.
The $125,000 Tackle (November 15, 1952)
Georgia Tech 7, No. 12 Alabama 3. In the most exciting game, at that time, in Tech annals, Jackie Rudolph's "$125,000 tackle" of Bobby Marlow helped preserve the victory, earned Tech a Sugar Bowl bid (and the $125,000 payout) but also preserved the Jackets' 12-0 season and the Institute's third national title.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Not sure about #2 - 5, but #1 was the 1952 Tech - Alabama game, won by Tech 7 - 3. This November game was the decisive game in our national championship season. I think it may have been the first nationally televised college football game. As I recall, the decisive series came in the second half (I think late 3Q), Alabama leading 3 - 0, first and goal on the Tech 5 yard line. If Alabama scored, it seemed unlikely Tech would be able to overcome a 10 - 0 lead. Tech stopped 'em three times. On 4th down from about the Tech 2, Alabama's Bobby Marlow (over 200 lbs, a big halfback in those days) ran wide. One Tech player between him and the goal line, little 155 lb Jackie Rudolph. Rudolph flipped him upside down at about the 3. Knocked Jackie out, but Tech went on to win 7 - 3. A picture of this tackle was all over the papers. And years later when I was a student at Tech and entered Dean Griffin's office (dean of students) for the first time, this amazing picture covered the entire wall behind his desk.
The $125,000 Tackle (November 15, 1952)
Georgia Tech 7, No. 12 Alabama 3. In the most exciting game, at that time, in Tech annals, Jackie Rudolph's "$125,000 tackle" of Bobby Marlow helped preserve the victory, earned Tech a Sugar Bowl bid (and the $125,000 payout) but also preserved the Jackets' 12-0 season and the Institute's third national title.
That Alabama team beat Syracuse in the Orange Bowl 61-6. Bobby Dodd said the 1952 Georgia Tech team would have scored twice that much against Syracuse.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
OK, revealing my age here in no particular order other than chronological:

1962 Tech beats number one Alabama one year after the Chick Granning incident

1966 Tech beats number eight and favored Tennessee in Coach Dodd's last year.

1990 The aforementioned national championship bowl win over Nebraska

1999 or thereabouts Jasper Thanks game. Thought it was all over for the Jackets but Coach Donnan had to get just a little bit closer.

2004 or 2005 I think. Anyway beating Auburn at Grant Field with my entire load of in laws, out laws, in attendance bragging about the Tigers winning the SEC and putting the ACC down as Big East South.

H,
I was there for the 66 Tenn game.Greatest def game I've ever seen at Tech. 6-3

slugboy

Staff member
+ 1991 GT over UVA in Charlottesville
+ 1991 GT over Nebraska in the Citrus Bowl (well 92)
+ 1985 6-6 tie against UT. Nail biter
+ 1999 GT over UGA with the Jasper Sanks fumble
+ GT upsets Alabama in 1981
And 2016 GT over UGA as a bonus
And GT over Auburn twice with Reggie Ball as more bonus material

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Domhob

Georgia Tech Fan
Games I attended:

Honorable Mention - 1984 Georgia. John Dewberry...

5. 1998 UVA. Dez White...

4. 1984 Clemson. Robert Lavette...

3. 2003 Auburn. Defense...

2. 2008 Florida State. The Miracle...

1. 2008 Georgia. Roddy Jones...

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
H,
I was there for the 66 Tenn game.Greatest def game I've ever seen at Tech. 6-3
Yep. My dad who graduated in 1950 and attended or watched over a half century of Tech games maintained to his dying day that it was the greatest Tech defensive performance he ever saw with the 1990 Clemson game and 1985 Tennessee tie as being right there as well. I don't know how that 1990 defense held up in the second half against Clemson. J Williams, Calvin T, J. McClary, Thomas B, and the incomparable Marco Coleman along with "Big Play"Willie Clay were superb. Swilling got hurt on that kick off return and was never really quite the same after that.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
more recent fan

5. 2009 ACCCG

4. 2009 VT

3. 2015 FSU

2. Orange Bowl vs MSU

1. 2014 UGA

honorable mentions: 2011 Clemson, 2011 Kansas cause it was hilarious

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm old. Not exactly sure about years (dates)!

1991 - Virginia - last second field goal to win again!

1998 - Virginia- Joe Hamilton and Dez White go off!

2003- Auburn- #1's freshman year when he got carried off the field!

1997 - UGA at UGA -? - Joe Hamilton and the guys break the streak. It wasn't a fumble!

1998 - ? - UGA - 51-48 - overtime victory. It was a fumble on the goal line. I was sitting 15 yards away in the end zone!!

I love GT athletics. I hope we get back on track. The last couple of years have not been what they should have been. All sports, not just football.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
VT 2009
Clemson 2o11
FSU 2015
UGA 2016
UGA 2014.

2008 FSU, 2014 Miami, and 2009 Wake Forest are honorable mentions.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I have several favorite games, but the absolute most shocking game was the 3-3 victory over #1 ranked Notre Dame. Only 41,000 fans showed up. These were the dark days of GT football and basketball too. Paul Johnson may think we are the sisters of the poor by today's standards, he should have seen Grant Field during 1981. We were barely holding on. Rightfully so, no one gave us a chance. One of the most hard hitting performances I've seen from a GT team.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I have several favorite games, but the absolute most shocking game was the 3-3 victory over #1 ranked Notre Dame. Only 41,000 fans showed up. These were the dark days of GT football and basketball too. Paul Johnson may think we are the sisters of the poor by today's standards, he should have seen Grant Field during 1981. We were barely holding on. Rightfully so, no one gave us a chance. One of the most hard hitting performances I've seen from a GT team.
The biggest highlight of the 1979-1983 dark period was beating #2 Alabama 24-21 in 1981

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
+ 1991 GT over UVA in Charlottesville
+ 1991 GT over Nebraska in the Citrus Bowl (well 92)
+ 1985 6-6 tie against UT. Nail biter
+ 1999 GT over UGA with the Jasper Sanks fumble
+ GT upsets Alabama in 1981
And 2016 GT over UGA as a bonus
And GT over Auburn twice with Reggie Ball as more bonus material

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm old. Not exactly sure about years (dates)!

1991 - Virginia - last second field goal to win again!

1998 - Virginia- Joe Hamilton and Dez White go off!

2003- Auburn- #1's freshman year when he got carried off the field!

1997 - UGA at UGA -? - Joe Hamilton and the guys break the streak. It wasn't a fumble!

1998 - ? - UGA - 51-48 - overtime victory. It was a fumble on the goal line. I was sitting 15 yards away in the end zone!!

I love GT athletics. I hope we get back on track. The last couple of years have not been what they should have been. All sports, not just football.

Fwiw, the uva game was in 1990, not 1991. The national championship Citrus Bowl was new year's day 1991.

Those two games make my list with 2008 u[sic]ga and both games against CU in 2009.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The biggest highlight of the 1979-1983 dark period was beating #2 Alabama 24-21 in 1981

This game is most always overlooked when anyone compiles a list of the most improbable all-time college football upsets, but IMO it ranks right up there.

1-9-1 in 1980, and after knocking off #2 Alabama in Birmingham somehow went on to go winless for the rest of '81.