Top 5 Tech games you have seen of all time

hwdgeplague

Jolly Good Fellow
So I think the rule should be you write your reply before reading everybody else

1. Let It Rain baby after losing 7 years in a row to Georgia I was over in Athens to see Joe Hamilton and Luke Manget beat those poor dogs into silence back in 1998.

2. Has to be the Austin twins crossing the goal line together to totally flummox Florida State at Grant field in 2015, with the infamous kick six. To hear the crowd noise after the block kick and have it escalate to higher and higher levels of decibels to the point where you felt like the people spilling out of the stands were because of the noise of the crowd they couldn't stay in there any longer it was pretty amazing spectacle of any sport at any time at any place.

3. Who beat the Hoo's in 1990 we beat the Hoo in 1990. Talk about a freaking amazing game and at halftime it was 21 to 7 bad guys and Bobby Ross pulled out the coaching job of his life with an assist from Calvin Tiggle, William Bell, Scott Sisson Shawn Jones and countless others players hoo Poured their hearts out to make that W happen where by All rights it was lost with 30 minutes left to play

4. The Tigers and Tampa what a game that was back and forth both teams couldn't stop the action was nonstop the scoring was Non-Stop the offenses were just amazing for both. Georgia Tech was able to overcome and win their first ACC Championship Game never to be taken away in the hearts of those who were there and went to the Orange Bowl for the first time since 1965.... great great performance by Jonathan Dwyer, and Richard Morgan.

5. They said kissing your sister and a tie in football are basically the same thing but when you tie the number one team in the country and it's Notre Dame and your team is 1-9-1 for the year well that's something special. I'll never forget Ken Whisenhunt trying to hold on as quarterback we were ahead 6-3 late in the game and Notre Dame finally got a field goal we are driving to go back ahead and we threw an interception at the 40 but nonetheless the golden domers went home and nobody said anything on their team to each other for at least another 3 weeks thinking how the hell did we let that happen go Bill Curry.

6. I was about to leave out Gary Lee coming out of the mist to beat Georgia in 1985. Ted Roof was the Georgia Tech savior on defense....and a small tip of the hat to the amazing 12th man that night at BDS, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER QUIT

Last edited:

Milwaukee

Banned
Hmm, interesting thread...let's see. My top 5 would be:
  1. have to put 41-38 over UVa in Charlottesville at the top of my list. It brought us into the national spotlight and paved the way for our last national championship, and I was there to enjoy every inebriated second of the game and post game celebration.
  2. GT 31-FSU 28 in 2008....The Fumble...caused by Cooper Taylor in the GT end zone with 45 seconds left to allow us to hold on and win
  3. GT 51-UGa 48 in 1999 in The Fumble #2...Jasper Sanks fumble as they decided to try to a TD instead of kicking the easy FG...then we get a 2nd chance at our FG and put it through....bedlam (was that the last time we won at home over the Dwags?)
  4. GT 27, Maryland 23 in 2006 with a goal line stand in the final minute of play highlighted by back-to-back sacks on 3rd and 4th downs by Michael Johnson to preserve the win.
  5. GT 22 FSU 16 in 2015...the Field Goal return for a TD
For me, the criteria I used was (1) I had to have been there in person, and (2) the noise and excitement in the stadium made a long lasting memorable impression on me

The GT/MD game from 06 was ELECTRIC with the back to back sacks.

Milwaukee

Banned
2015 FSU game gets too much love from Tech fans. That entire season was an embarrassment and huge letdown. I was so numb by the time that game rolled around I barely got excited when the play happened.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I couldn't get crazy excited given the circumstances of the season. But no, I wasn't there.

Beating FSU didn’t make the season but it did ruin theirs which is almost as good. The Fire Marshall would’ve been impressed. I didn’t know people could exit BDS so quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
2015 FSU game gets too much love from Tech fans. That entire season was an embarrassment and huge letdown. I was so numb by the time that game rolled around I barely got excited when the play happened.

Saw it on TV and thought it was great, but thought it would have been a lot better had the season not been such a letdown up to that point. Went to the UVa game in Charlottesville the next week after hoping the win would reinvigorate the team, but the Jackets were as cold as the weather that day, and from there on out. I've always thought of the Jackets down through the years as capable of beating or losing to just about anybody. How does a team beat FSU and lose every other meaningful game in a season? How does a team tie #1 Notre Dame and beat #2 Alabama in the middle of losing most every other game for two years? The Jackets have always been unpredictable and kind of dangerous, at least since I've followed them for the last 50+ years. You never know when they will bust out or just go bust.

BobintheATL99

Jolly Good Fellow
I’d pay good money for tapes of some of these games. ‘89 COFH is one I’ve searched far and wide for. There’s an archive service that sells some of the older ones from the ‘50s and ‘60s. Might bite the bullet on those if I can get the rights to upload sonehow.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
1) 2014 Orange Bowl
2) 2009 ACC CG
3) 2014 @ Georgia... I think this is the best game start to finish that I've ever seen
4) 2008 @ Georgia
5) Toss up between 2009 vs. VT or 2009 @ FSU

Also in person at '16 Georgia, '08 FSU, '15 FSU, and '11 Clemson. My list and thought process weighed the whole game moreso than great endings. The first three had great endings but I didn't feel as strongly about the rest of the game.

'11 Clemson... One thing I think gets lost in the shuffle... I believe we were only 4 pt dogs despite being unranked vs. #5. So, that strengthened my expectations going in. Also, I left a wedding before cake cutting to make kickoff. That decision was not taken well. Then, I forgot a full change of clothes, so it was my first game in suit pants + GT jersey.

No games from when I was in school made my list, though there were some good ones.

Regarding GT v georgie 2014, I disagree as a Tech fan.

If I just sat down to watch a college football game and didn't have a rooster in the fight, I'd might agree that it was a great game start to finish.

As a Tech fan, I still can't watch it without getting upset over how Smelter went out, over JT's TD not at least being ruled down by forward progress, JT's losing the ball while his arm was going forward, and not just the FG but the OT PAT being blocked because they plowed over our center.*

So much of that game pissed me off, the ending was great, but I disagree about start to finish.

*Also it made me wonder why we didn't run 3-4 on D more often.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I’d pay good money for tapes of some of these games. ‘89 COFH is one I’ve searched far and wide for. There’s an archive service that sells some of the older ones from the ‘50s and ‘60s. Might bite the bullet on those if I can get the rights to upload sonehow.

You probably know this but a lot of games are on YouTube. GTBob’s channel has quite a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk