Top 5 Tech games you have seen of all time

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
Unfortunately, most of my top Tech games have been on TV instead of live. I was at Tech from '87 to '94, but not enrolled during 1990. My weekends that year were spent working at Pero's, so I missed seeing that entire season live (though I could hear the crowd noise from across the street). Most of the games I saw as a student were during the lean Bobby Ross years and the Bill Lewis years. The only memorable Tech games I've seen live were the 1989 win over UGA and the 1976 win over UVA (the latter my first night game). Because of ticket price, most games I see now are against lower-marquee teams like BC, Pitt or Duke.

Top 5 games (TV):

1. Tech-UVA 1990
2. Tech-UGA (2016)
3. Tech-FSU (2015)
4. Tech-UGA (1999)
5. Tech-UGA (1985)

** After the 2013 loss, was too chicken to watch the 2014 UGA game... Went fishing with my dad that day and saw the results later that evening. Would have definitely been on the list!

Last edited:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, most of my top Tech games have been on TV instead of live. I was at Tech from '87 to '94, but not enrolled during 1990. My weekends that year were spent working at Pero's, so I missed seeing that entire season live (though I could hear the crowd noise from across the street). Most of the games I saw as a student were during the lean Bobby Ross years and the Bill Lewis years. The only memorable Tech games I've seen live were the 1989 win over UGA and the 1976 win over UVA (the latter my first night game). Because of ticket price, most games I see now are against lower-marquee teams like BC, Pitt or Duke.

Top 5 games (TV):

1. Tech-UVA 1990
2. Tech-UGA (2016)
3. Tech-FSU (2015)
4. Tech-UGA (1999)
5. Tech-UGA (1985)

** After the 2013 loss, was too chicken to watch the 2014 UGA game... Went fishing with my dad that day and saw the results later that evening. Would have definitely been on the list!

ummm, Pero's. I have fond memories of Aerodynamics lectures while eating a slice of Pero's Pizza and drinking a MichDark draft from a paper cup (at least I think it was Pero's that was right across the street from the AE building

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I don’t have five. I have two.

2. Vs Alabama, 1981. Beat Bama at Legion Field, 21-20. Proved that we could win.
1. Vs Notre Dame, 1980. Tied 3-3. Probably the greatest football game I’ve ever seen. ND was Number 1 coming in to face Tech, while Tech was talking of dropping Div 1 football. Still, my all time favorite game.

Didn’t Notre Dame’s kicker hit the crossbar on a 12 yard try? Not the upright - the crossbar.
Irish later got smoked by USC but already had the Sugar Bowl berth. We shan’t discuss that atrocity of a game. Worst football game ever.

Go4Tech

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t have five. I have two.

2. Vs Alabama, 1981. Beat Bama at Legion Field, 21-20. Proved that we could win.
1. Vs Notre Dame, 1980. Tied 3-3. Probably the greatest football game I’ve ever seen. ND was Number 1 coming in to face Tech, while Tech was talking of dropping Div 1 football. Still, my all time favorite game.

Thank you Vespidae!

Not attending #2 as it was at 'Bama. Was listening on Atlanta radio!

Was attending #1. Agree! Recall calling my father (IM '48) collect after the game to tell him. He was just amazed! (back then maybe the only updates one got were by the limited scroll screen at the bottom of the game being broadcast in your area - He was in Nashville, TN).

As for #2: Any of the not so many games attended together with my father.

THWG!!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Georgia, 2008. Johnson's statement game. It's Georgia.
Favorites 6 through the rest of 'em: Some others. Including Georgia, 2008.

I kinda like beating Georgia.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Thank you Vespidae!

Not attending #2 as it was at 'Bama. Was listening on Atlanta radio!

Was attending #1. Agree! Recall calling my father (IM '48) collect after the game to tell him. He was just amazed! (back then maybe the only updates one got were by the limited scroll screen at the bottom of the game being broadcast in your area - He was in Nashville, TN).

As for #2: Any of the not so many games attended together with my father.

THWG!!
GT's Al Ciraldo was a much better play by play announcer than Alabama's John Forney;)

herb

Helluva Engineer
1. UVA 1990
2. U(sic)ga 2008
3. U(sic)ga 2016
4. Jasper sanks
5. UVA 1998 - we were down 21 in the second half