Tobias Oliver: The Passer

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think Coach is frustrated because he knows how to defeat that scheme, but the guys can’t execute it.

Imo it’s not too late to burn Graham’s shirt. But there is a huge “But.” If he doesn’t know the playbook well enough, and things go south in a bad way (very possible with a true frosh QB), it could ruin his psyche.

I trust CPJ to make the right calls. I’m just real frustrated at how our scheme is currently playing with one hand tied behind our backs.

Our WRs and abacks have got to help us more in getting open too. That deficiency, in that facet of the passing game, does not escape me.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think TM's main problem is lack of time. When he isn't under distress and can set up, he does well. Recall his game against USF; no problemo. Also, he didn't look that bad against Puke, but not having the running game really clicking (i.e. 300 or so yards) puts him at a disadvantage. His pass to Carter for the first TD was a thing of beauty, though Malachi faking the DB literally right out of his boots helped.

Let's hope that a week off will help with execution; the Turkies aren't anywhere near as good on D this year as usual. They're stingy against the run (123 ypg) but they're giving up 401 ypg overall, right above Louisville in the standings.

Unk T

Georgia Tech Fan
I've seen several occasions where an A-Back or Receiver was open and there was time, but TM was fixated on one person when the ball was snapped and when that person isn't open he puts his head down and runs. He never looks at more than one receiver.

From what I've seen from TO, he keeps his head up when running and looks for receivers.

Our WRs and abacks have got to help us more in getting open too. That deficiency, in that facet of the passing game, does not escape me.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I know a lot of yall are madly in love with TO but he is a worse passer than Taquon, he does not have a D1 arm he’s never going to be the starter here unless nobody else is left or were trying to save Graham’s redshirt. imo there’s no way in hell that CPJ is going down that road again after 2 years of this sh!tshow, i mean we all know the man is stubborn but he ain’t dumb. You can’t win with a running back playing QB.

I am not going to come on here and argue that TO is better than TM, or even that he should be starting. But what I do know is that they are fairly close. Even if TO can only run a smaller portion of the playbook, it seems he may run those specific plays better. He is much more north/south and seems to get far fewer negative plays. Given that, I think TO should get a couple of series in every single game from here on out no matter what. If nothing else, as a sort of change-up pitch. And, if he is killing it, ride with him longer. Nothing has made me more frustrated with CPJ this year than not going to TO in the 2nd and 3rd quarters when it was clear TM was not working.

Last edited:

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Like all QBs under CPJ, JT didn't improve under his tutelage. 2014 JT was better than 2016 JT. TQM is no better today than in September, 2017 and may be even worse.

Not sure the data supports your position. Below is a list of ESPN "Total QBR Ratings" for Tech primary QB's each year under CPJ before TM. Seems most have improved the longer they have been in the system:

08 - Nesbitt - 44.8
09 - Nesbitt - 59.7
10 - Washington - 49.8
11 - Washington - 55.1
12 - Washington - 71.0
13 - Vad Lee - 47.1 (Byerly 93.6 :D)
14 - Thomas 83.8 (Byerly 98.4 :D)
15 - Thomas - 39.4
16 - Thomas 78.2

I think CPJ's decision to ride with TM the last two years will ultimately be his undoing.

Not sure the data supports your position. Below is a list of ESPN "Total QBR Ratings" for Tech primary QB's each year under CPJ before TM. Seems most have improved the longer they have been in the system:

08 - Nesbitt - 44.8
09 - Nesbitt - 59.7
10 - Washington - 49.8
11 - Washington - 55.1
12 - Washington - 71.0
13 - Vad Lee - 47.1 (Byerly 93.6 :D)
14 - Thomas 83.8 (Byerly 98.4 :D)
15 - Thomas - 39.4
16 - Thomas 78.2

I think CPJ's decision to ride with TM the last two years will ultimately be his undoing.

What was Nesbitt's rating in 2010?

Outside of TW, the QBs got worse - JT dropped and TQM is exactly the same as 2017, if not a tad worse.

Byerly improved - you got me there. :LOL:

I do agree with you though: TQM is CPJ's Reggie Ball.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
What was Nesbitt's rating in 2010?

Outside of TW, the QBs got worse - JT dropped and TQM is exactly the same as 2017, if not a tad worse.

Byerly improved - you got me there. :LOL:

I do agree with you though: TQM is CPJ's Reggie Ball.

Give me a break. Nesbitt clearly improved. Washington clearly improved. JT was pretty close to the same in '14 and '16. Given he had two NFL receivers starting in 2014 and had BS and RJ as starting receivers in '16, I think there is actually an argument to be made that he improved as well. In his lack of playing time I think Jordan also improved as well. Really only TM has been stuck in the mud and shown no improvement. Of all the arguments against CPJ (and there are a lot of legit ones), I think criticizing him for lacking QB improvement is about as weak as it gets.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Given that, I think TO should get a couple of series in every single game from here on out no matter what. If nothing else, as a sort of change-up pitch. And, if he is killing it, ride with him longer. Nothing has made me more frustrated with CPJ this year than not going to TO in the 2nd and 3rd quarters when it was clear TM was not working.

If we had a chance of going to the ACCCG, I’d say we ride TM the rest of the way. However, we are a long shot to even go bowling right now, in my opinion. Why not give TO plenty of reps and get him ready for next year?

As a side note, do you think JG would be more or less likely to stay for next season if we burned his redshirt this season? I have a concern he might transfer after watching us struggle in all three phases this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Don’t forget UVA.
Good point Bronco will have his def ready for us
I am not going to come on here and argue that TO is better than TM, or even that he should be starting. But what I do know is that they are fairly close. Even if TO can only run a smaller portion of the playbook, it seems he may run those specific plays better. He is much more north/south and seems to get far fewer negative plays. Given that, I think TO should get a couple of series in every single game from here on out no matter what. If nothing else, as a sort of change-up pitch. And, if he is killing it, ride with him longer. Nothing has made me more frustrated with CPJ this year than not going to TO in the 2nd and 3rd quarters when it was clear TM was not working.

I agree 100%