Tobias Oliver: The Passer

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Fair but since he's in there, why not let him run a few plays? Why not let him throw it and maybe spark the O or something?

Oh I agree. Though it did pick up 6 and we absolutely had to score on that drive to have any chance so it wasnt a bad call. I honestly want to see more of him and to. Marshall may actually be done for a few weeks his arm was hanging very awkward and his legs both seemed banged up

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
What is the point of rotating QBs? The Senior QB isn't getting it done. Why play him? Because he gives us the best chance at winning? Not against teams that actually have a pulse.
I agree. The hook needs to come out quicker and get tobias in there. TM was limping a lot and did not have the quickness he normally shows. He must be dinged a little. Their D was definitely better than us today but our D did some good things out there. We got pressure at times and some good sacks. I was surprised their QB ran as much since he has a metal plate in his collar bone. He took some shots today but was better than our QB overall. I sure hated to lose this one.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
In terms of running the ball, I think we can all see he's a talented runner. He may not know our offense as well as TQM, but when the ball is in his hands, he's tends to make good positive gains

I want to talk about Tobias the passer. He's not polished, and his throws are sometimes off the mark where the receiver has to adjust, but I think he understands where the ball needs to go. Several of his passes (to Lynch and Malachi Carter), had they been a foot higher or lower, would have been good passes. Overall, I think Tobias should get more snaps. Rotate him and TQM like we did with Vad and Tevin in 2012.

There's just something about Oliver when he has the ball in his hands.

A LOT more snaps...

GTFLETCH

Banned
Oliver should probably be at a FCS school. he doesn't pass well enough for this level. We just need a P5 level QB . Recruiting is in the toilet.
Hmmm... So what level do you think Taqoun shoud be at? Last year it was Marshall completeing 37%... We have nothing to lose by starting Tobias..

Deleted member 2897

Well, we have 5 games left. We’re nearly to the point that James Graham could play out. Why not? We’re not getting it done. If we play Oliver or Graham and lose 40-10 at Virginia Tech, we would at least say that we tried to change something up.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Well, we have 5 games left. We’re nearly to the point that James Graham could play out. Why not? We’re not getting it done. If we play Oliver or Graham and lose 40-10 at Virginia Tech, we would at least say that we tried to change something up.

I agree... what do we have to lose at this point? A December 20th bowl game in Shreveport....

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
He led us to an 11 and 9 win season and 2 wins over Georgia. He was everything special. You have lost your mind.
2014 JeT was special. After that he was just good, he definitely regressed after that 2014 season. I know the talent around him wasn’t as loaded, but he didnt seem to have that same fire that was clearly present in 2014. Just my honest opinion.

2014 JeT was special. After that he was just good, he definitely regressed after that 2014 season. I know the talent around him wasn’t as loaded, but he didnt seem to have that same fire that was clearly present in 2014. Just my honest opinion.
Justin carried the team on his back in several games in 2016, starting with BC in Dublin.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
JT was incredible in 2016 but the ACC was at its all-time best. He threw ppl open, made clutch throws, and took care of the ball.

This team had potential on O but needed good, consistent quarterback play and we’re not getting that from TM. Doesn’t help that we lost Benson and we’re a little down at the wideout position.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
JT was incredible in 2016 but the ACC was at its all-time best. He threw ppl open, made clutch throws, and took care of the ball.

This team had potential on O but needed good, consistent quarterback play and we’re not getting that from TM. Doesn’t help that we lost Benson and we’re a little down at the wideout position.
Keep in mind, our starting B Back that went down with a knee injury, would’ve been number 2 behind Mills. Mills/Benson > Howard/Mason. (Again IMo)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
As frustrating as the Duke game was, and others have been, we aren’t the hot garbage many here proclaim. We are just finding ways to lose instead of making plays to win. And a lot of that is due to a bad passsing attack. But.....

If y’all think changing QBs will lead to automatic wins you are wrong. TO doesn’t know the playbook nearly as well as Marshall. That will have a negative affect to go along with the positives. And I suspect he’s actually only equal to or maybe even worse than TM throwing it.

But I love his burst and power running. And I don’t think he will be that much worse in the passing game than TM is.

And the bottom line is we seem incapable of completing even easy slants right now. Our completions today weren’t very pretty...at all. What we have isn’t enough. I’m willing to gamble a bit more and give someone else a chance.

I’m just not gonna ***** and moan if the end result is actually worse. It will be a gamble and your best hopes don’t change that. The thing is....sometimes gambles pay off. And right now...I’m willing to gamble.

We can excel with a 70/30, 80/20 or maybe even 90/10 run pass ratio. But we have to be able to pass some. And right now my confidence throwing the ball is about as low as my confidence in place kicking was for the first 4 games.

Use the bye week, coach up TO....and roll the dice in Blacksburg.