Tobias Oliver: The Passer

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
We ALLLLLLL know CPJ is riding this out with TQM. I just cant believe the kid didnt learn a Damn thing from Justin Thomas..... JT could come back RIGHT NOW and lead this team to a bowl game.

Start Tobias if that is what floats your boat, sit TaQuon for a game or more if you like, play James as much as you prefer but quarterback is not near the problem as having substandard wide receivers and a underperforming offensive line. IMHO

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Compared to who? Joe Hamilton? Lamar Jackson? Baker Mayfield? Dude is a GT legend who is also a winner, leader, and is a great representative of Tech off the field.
I’m talking about on the field homie...he had his moments, for sure, but you can’t compare him to Joe Ham, Lamar Jackson, or Baker Mayfield.

GT_EE78

Banned
He's only thrown 2 or 3 passes. How do you know he's not good enough? It sure seems to me that the entire offense plays with more of a spark when he is in there.
it's true we haven't seen him try many but if he had any passing skills we would have seen the attempts instead of "running out the clock" when multiple scores were needed to get back in the game. It's just time to ditch this "square wheels offense" and move on.

GTFLETCH

Banned
As frustrating as the Duke game was, and others have been, we aren’t the hot garbage many here proclaim. We are just finding ways to lose instead of making plays to win. And a lot of that is due to a bad passsing attack. But.....

If y’all think changing QBs will lead to automatic wins you are wrong. TO doesn’t know the playbook nearly as well as Marshall. That will have a negative affect to go along with the positives. And I suspect he’s actually only equal to or maybe even worse than TM throwing it.

But I love his burst and power running. And I don’t think he will be that much worse in the passing game than TM is.

And the bottom line is we seem incapable of completing even easy slants right now. Our completions today weren’t very pretty...at all. What we have isn’t enough. I’m willing to gamble a bit more and give someone else a chance.

I’m just not gonna ***** and moan if the end result is actually worse. It will be a gamble and your best hopes don’t change that. The thing is....sometimes gambles pay off. And right now...I’m willing to gamble.

We can excel with a 70/30, 80/20 or maybe even 90/10 run pass ratio. But we have to be able to pass some. And right now my confidence throwing the ball is about as low as my confidence in place kicking was for the first 4 games.

Use the bye week, coach up TO....and roll the dice in Blacksburg.
I disagree... At some point we need to develop a QB for the future.... Let James and Tobias play the remaining games out to find out who is the next QB of the future is...

Playing a converted ABack...at QB during a dumpster fire of a year, who is not coming back next year does not help the program at all... Marshall does not have the "it" factor at QB... he can not win games for us...He has heart, but at QB he is not helping the program... that being said we need him at A back as we still want to win as many games as possible...He is a great runner..

But at some point it has to be about developing players in a losing year so the following year can be better then this dumpster fire year... If we are going to suck let the younger players play ...

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I disagree... At some point we need to develop a QB for the future.... Let James and Tobias play the remaining games out to find out who is the next QB of the future is...

Playing a converted ABack...at QB during a dumpster fire of a year, who is not coming back next year does not help the program at all... Marshall does not have the "it" factor at QB... he can not win games for us...He has heart, but at QB he is not helping the program... that being said we need him at A back as we still want to win as many games as possible...He is a great runner..

But at some point it has to be about developing players in a losing year so the following year can be better then this dumpster fire year... If we are going to suck let the younger players play ...

I have no idea what you are disagreeing on. And btw...TM has in fact helped us win games. Just not as many as we want. And no that’s not all on his shoulders. He isn’t the reason other guys are fumbling.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I have no idea what you are disagreeing on. And btw...TM has in fact helped us win games. Just not as many as we want. And no that’s not all on his shoulders. He isn’t the reason other guys are fumbling.
I'll bite...
If he (and the OL, WR, etc) were a downfield throwing threat, there wouldn't be 8.5 guys in the box lighting our mesh and pitch lanes up. It's not his fault -- he is one of our most talented players -- but he is not able to hit the passes needed to keep the numerical advantage in our favor.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
We ALLLLLLL know CPJ is riding this out with TQM. I just cant believe the kid didnt learn a Damn thing from Justin Thomas..... JT could come back RIGHT NOW and lead this team to a bowl game.

If everyone could make themselves into a P5 passer in a couple of years, everyone would do it. Finding a passing QB begins in middle school, not once the the “athletes” arrive on campus and put on the pads.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Start Tobias if that is what floats your boat, sit TaQuon for a game or more if you like, play James as much as you prefer but quarterback is not near the problem as having substandard wide receivers and a underperforming offensive line. IMHO

I disagree. Having a capable dual threat QB solves a lot of problems. I think I recall CPJ commenting on TM’s inability to hit a simple short out route, saying, you have to be able to make that throw in college...

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Let me ask, which outcome do you think changes if we had started Oliver the entire year?

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I'll bite...
If he (and the OL, WR, etc) were a downfield throwing threat, there wouldn't be 8.5 guys in the box lighting our mesh and pitch lanes up. It's not his fault -- he is one of our most talented players -- but he is not able to hit the passes needed to keep the numerical advantage in our favor.
Well said

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Next year we get Lucas Johnson back in the mix. Nobody will say he’s not got an arm. A lot of injury bad luck has plagued this team. And I was a little too tough on the recruiting a little while back. We have recruited guys that could have really helped this offense go, but for one reason or another they’re not here anymore. Mills was one of the best runners we’ve had in multiple decades. Lucas Johnson is a true dual threat quarterback. Marcus Marshall could’ve helped us big time. AJ gray… The list goes on and on.

Now I know injuries and off the field crap happens at all programs, it just can’t happen here if we want to be successful. We need all the stars to lineup. Some years they have. (’09, ‘14). It just hasn’t happened enough. It is what it is. We’re gonna need stars to line up no matter who the coach is.

2014 JeT was special. After that he was just good, he definitely regressed after that 2014 season. I know the talent around him wasn’t as loaded, but he didnt seem to have that same fire that was clearly present in 2014. Just my honest opinion.

Agreed. Like all QBs under CPJ, JT didn't improve under his tutelage. 2014 JT was better than 2016 JT. TQM is no better today than in September, 2017 and may be even worse.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Next year we get Lucas Johnson back in the mix. Nobody will say he’s not got an arm. A lot of injury bad luck has plagued this team. And I was a little too tough on the recruiting a little while back. We have recruited guys that could have really helped this offense go, but for one reason or another they’re not here anymore. Mills was one of the best runners we’ve had in multiple decades. Lucas Johnson is a true dual threat quarterback. Marcus Marshall could’ve helped us big time. AJ gray… The list goes on and on.

Now I know injuries and off the field crap happens at all programs, it just can’t happen here if we want to be successful. We need all the stars to lineup. Some years they have. (’09, ‘14). It just hasn’t happened enough. It is what it is. We’re gonna need stars to line up no matter who the coach is.
Amen.

One thing: losing your best players - and that is who has been hurt or fired - is death to any program, besides the top 5 or so. We lost Mills, the next real Adrian Peterson and just what the offense needed. We lost Benson and, probably, 1500 yards rushing. We lost Jordan and a beast offense with him and Mills. We lost Lucas, who, probably, would be starting today, if he was healthy. (This is not a knock on TM. Losing Benson has made him less effective, but he still is on track for 1000 yards rushing.) And, as you say, A. J. right when we changed D schemes. You just can't lose people like that and prosper.

And, yes, if I were to handicap the QB race for next year I would say it was a contest between Johnson and Graham. It will depend on whether Coach decides to go all Hawaii on us. And, btw, I expect he will, to some extent.