Times set for 4 games!!!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
As has been posted in this and other thread, one reported issue is demand for broadcast.

Believe it or not, a team broadcast on RSN or a ESPN at noon or noonthirty is in higher demand than a team whose game is available only online in primetime.

tatertot1

Ramblin' Wreck
We’ve already started planning our tailgate menu. If anyone tailgates around Chandler stadium, my buddy cooks up a mean breakfast sandwich.
Alright just shoot me a message on here before the week of the game and let me know where you located at and I'll try to get over there!

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
Honestly, 12:30 Alcorn St. is to be expected. An away game at Pitt at 12:30 should be an ACC network regional game and shouldn’t be expected to get a great time slot. Louisville and VT game times are a given being weekday games. Not much surprise to me as far as these 4 times go. I see the rest of the times going something like this:

At USF 8:00 ESPNU
Clem 3:30 ABC
Bowling Green 12:30 or 3:00 FSS
Duke 12:30 ACC network
At unc 12:00 espn2
Mia 3:30 ABC
Uva 12:30 ACC Network
At ugag 12:00 sec network

Just a wild guess, but that would give us two good home time slots with zero night games. It all boils down to the fact that we need to have more success on a yearly basis and quit having to worry about how good the other team is to determine what time slot we get. Obviously there are outliers like wake being a night game last year, but for the most part, It seems like our time slots have been predicated on our opponents’ record.

Milwaukee

Banned
Sigh....
Alright so here's the thing. ESPN doesn't have it out for Tech, they want viewers and they don't care about your personal game day experience at all.
It's important to remember that the 12:30 game isn't considered the bottom of the barrel in terms of priority. In fact, that slot is given higher priority than even the night games on ESPNU. It's not that we're bad per se. Just to middle of the road.
Why? Well think of it like this. ESPN wants to keep as many fans in front of the TV Saturday all day long. Fans generally watch their own teams and the marquee matchups, so they spread those out to keep you glued all day long. The prime time slot is still key, but if they load all the games into that slot they'll lose viewers.
Notional Example:
Team A - In the marquee matchup of the week. CFP contender. They have 100 fans in the fanbase that watch every game
Team B - Not a CFP contender but probably a bowl contender. 40 fans
Team C - Power-5 bottom feeder. 20 fans
Let's say ESPN finds that about 25% of the fans listed above are also general fans who wanna watch the week's big game. They can put these 3 teams in one of 3 slots: 1 noon game and 2 night games that overlap
Obvious Team A gets the prime time slot on ABC, it's needed to attract the "general fans" to the prime time slot. But what about the other 2?
If they put team C at noon:
-20 Team C fans watching Team C at noon
-100 Team A fans will watch Team A at night
-40 Team B fans watch Team B at night
- 4 team C fans watching Team A at night
-164 game viewers

Now, lets put Team B at noon:
-40 Team B fans watching Team B at noon
-100 Team A fans watching Team A at night
-20 Team C fans watching Team C at night
-10 Team B fans watching Team A at night
-170 game viewers

Gross over-simplification but you get the picture. We are Team B, and that's all there is to it. Being the Marquee matchup would be nice, but if we are getting 7PM on ESPNU(Or the Ocho or whatever), that's probably a bad sign for the direction of the program. That's when the lowest priority games are played.

We aren't team A, B, or C in this scenario. We are D. The 12:30 games weren't picked up by ESPN. They will be shown on your local FSN in the south and online elsewhere. Not good.

RocketJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We aren't team A, B, or C in this scenario. We are D. The 12:30 games weren't picked up by ESPN. They will be shown on your local FSN in the south and online elsewhere. Not good.
It's the "ACC Network", still produced by ESPN and still given a higher priority than 7PM on ESPNU, at least in their minds. Just shown on RSN or streamed if you have ESPN channels in your cable package.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Hu
Honestly, 12:30 Alcorn St. is to be expected. An away game at Pitt at 12:30 should be an ACC network regional game and shouldn’t be expected to get a great time slot. Louisville and VT game times are a given being weekday games. Not much surprise to me as far as these 4 times go. I see the rest of the times going something like this:

Just a wild guess, but that would give us two good home time slots with zero night games. It all boils down to the fact that we need to have more success on a yearly basis and quit having to worry about how good the other team is to determine what time slot we get. Obviously there are outliers like wake being a night game last year, but for the most part, It seems like our time slots have been predicated on our opponents’ record.
im going with
USF: 3:30
Clemson: 12:30
Bowling green : 12:00
Duke: 3:30
UNC: 12:30
Miami: 7:30
UVA: 12:00
UGA: 3:30

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
Just FYI 330 to 700 is just as hot as 1230 to 400. West stands will get more shade with later start but upper east will bake.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
I think if GT is 9-2 and UGAG is 9-2 going into the game it could possibly be be a prime time ABC game

It would be ESPN at best. SEC home games can't be on ABC due to the Tier 1 contract rights. There aren't many games that Thanksgiving Saturday that ESPN owns for the SEC Network, which will almost always relegate us to that channel. We were both 9-2 in 2014 and had the nooner SEC Network spot. I think we'd have to have an undefeated team with playoff potential to get out of that spot at this point. And Bama being out of it to keep the Iron Bowl down the selection process.

And just another fun part.....starting in 2019, high likelihood we'll be on the ACC Network for that game. Helps with carriage, but we'll see if we get better time slots.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
It's the "ACC Network", still produced by ESPN and still given a higher priority than 7PM on ESPNU, at least in their minds. Just shown on RSN or streamed if you have ESPN channels in your cable package.

It isn't that "ACC Netowork". The ESPN ACC Network linear channel doesn't start until next year. This year it is the same Raycom Sports "network", which is basically a syndicated broadcast. I think it has usually been on channel 17 or 69 in Atlanta since they are sister stations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ACC_Network_affiliates

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Guess we could put a Roof over BDS....or a giant overhang. :ROFLMAO:

If there was any kind of obstruction put over BDS it would have to be clear, so wouldn't help with the sun. Almost every broadcast of a home game pans across the skyscrapers around and above the east stands. I would say that is one of the unique things about BDS.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer

I think CBS Sports Network will get the USF game. Hopefully at night.
If we’re undefeated I can see 7,7:30 or 8 on an Espn network
Miami could be 3:30 or 7,7:30 or 8 on Espn2/U
Uga noon Sec network.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
It would be ESPN at best. SEC home games can't be on ABC due to the Tier 1 contract rights. There aren't many games that Thanksgiving Saturday that ESPN owns for the SEC Network, which will almost always relegate us to that channel. We were both 9-2 in 2014 and had the nooner SEC Network spot. I think we'd have to have an undefeated team with playoff potential to get out of that spot at this point. And Bama being out of it to keep the Iron Bowl down the selection process.

And just another fun part.....starting in 2019, high likelihood we'll be on the ACC Network for that game. Helps with carriage, but we'll see if we get better time slots.
I would be happy with 9-2 GT playing 9-2 UGAG on a night time ESPN or ESPN 2 game.