Time to Reflect

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Nice to see Rodwell improve as the year went on. He went from inconsistent to fairly reliable with some big boomers.
I agree. I was terrified of punting at the start of the year. Not that I like it now but at least I'm confident that it's not going to be a 30 yard shank with a bad bounce back at us

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Another thing I like about this year is the evolution of the offense. We had a decent number of long, time eating drives. But we also led college football in the number of big plays. The current backs -- all returning -- are the fastest and most athletic we have had. Sometimes a defense would play us well for six or eight plays in a row, then we would block one well and it wouldn't go just for a nice gain, it would break for a touchdown. That must be a nightmare for a defensive coordinator.

The other really big thing is we have a real passing game. Decent if not outstanding wide receivers and a number of backs who can run routes, catch the ball, and do something with it after they catch it. A line which is at least pretty good at pass protection. There were years where PJ ran the ball even when a pass was there just because he knew we couldn't execute. Another DC's nightmare. If your safeties aren't hyper run focused, we'll make good yards with the run. But once they get too run focused, the ball is over their heads and gone.

slugboy

Staff member
After a day, I'm pretty happy with the season. I'd like us to show growth in the bowl game and send off the seniors with a win. I liked the defensive performance against VT, and want to see something like it again.
I think the potential is there for next year, and would like payback for Pittsburgh, UNC, Miami, and Clemson.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
After a day, I'm pretty happy with the season. I'd like us to show growth in the bowl game and send off the seniors with a win. I liked the defensive performance against VT, and want to see something like it again.
I think the potential is there for next year, and would like payback for Pittsburgh, UNC, Miami, and Clemson.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If we get three of the four we are in great shape because they are in varying degrees going to be very strong. Clemson down a bit because of losing Watson, but even with four heading for the NFL they are stacked in depth across the board with another good recruiting class. Pittsburgh really showed up late and though losing Conner are really well-coached and will play big. Miami is going to continue getting better. The question is UNC, a team I cannot judge because I just really hate their smugness. But QB again seems to be the question mark. For some reason i think Jordan has a much better arm than we have seen. I know I saw him throw a couple of ropes early on.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
If we get three of the four we are in great shape because they are in varying degrees going to be very strong. Clemson down a bit because of losing Watson, but even with four heading for the NFL they are stacked in depth across the board with another good recruiting class. Pittsburgh really showed up late and though losing Conner are really well-coached and will play big. Miami is going to continue getting better. The question is UNC, a team I cannot judge because I just really hate their smugness. But QB again seems to be the question mark. For some reason i think Jordan has a much better arm than we have seen. I know I saw him throw a couple of ropes early on.

Miami and Clemson at least should always recruit well if not tremendously. They'll both have to break in new QBs (Watson could come back but don't know why he would). Pittsburgh may have to as well (can't remember if Peterman is a senior or not). But they're more on offense than just Conner, though he is really good. They were very good on offense this year.
The Coastal is going to remain a dogfight. There isn't much difference between the teams, except when you get to Virginia. Even Duke will be tough, because I think the Jones kid is going to be a good QB.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I think this is the right thread for this.

Reflecting back on yesterday, for me if there is no other lesson to take away as a fan, it's this. We as fans are the only "participants" who look for that "backbreaking play" in COFH as the reason for an impending loss. Yesterday it was Ike's fumble. In 2014 it was an uncalled forward progress fumble followed by Mason's score with 18 seconds left. In 2008 we as fans were conditioned to know that a 16 point lead was insurmountable against the Mutts.

Thankfully that's not the way our coaches and players think. For them, no game is over until the clocks hit 00:00 in the 4th quarter.

Many fans have been conditioned to think a certain way about COFH, myself included until after 2014. My "learning" started in '02 with a 51-7 drubbing, and I didn't understand the pain until 6 consecutive losses with 'wtf' moments interpersed. After 2014 and 2016, there's no doubt in my mind that this perceived hex on our team is only a figment of our fans' imagination. CPJ-led teams have proven, if you give them a shot, no matter how small the opening, our guys will give 100% to take the W. The players and coaches are mentally strong, tougher than a lot of us, particularly those making premature proclamations yesterday. There's no doubt in my mind that next year, on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, COFH will be defined by 60 minutes of play, not an overreaction to or mental breakdown from a single play or two that doesn't go our way. Whatever curse that may or may not have existed, it is no longer, and I can't say enough how much I appreciate our team's toughness to indirectly tear down that hurdle for a lot of us fans.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We have won two out of three. You are right Cuse. Players are far more resilient and competitive than fans. It is easier to be that way when you actually have input on the outcome. In pretty much every game that is somewhat evenly matched there will be adversity. I like the way CPJ puts it. "You have to just keep playing. Our kids continue to play."

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We have won two out of three. You are right Cuse. Players are far more resilient and competitive than fans. It is easier to be that way when you actually have input on the outcome. In pretty much every game that is somewhat evenly matched there will be adversity. I like the way CPJ puts it. "You have to just keep playing. Our kids continue to play."
Early on at Tech Johnson, maybe at one of his community talks or his radio show, referenced coaching Navy and what he liked about it. A large part was that the players were not always the best players on their HS field and sometimes not the best on their respective teams. But with a talent gap, they had been forced to battle from junior high on to make a team, then to win a position, and as a result never quit on the field. The AJC's Bradley -- who so many love to hate for his "bias" -- referred to it with some admiration Sunday as Johnson being "stubborn" until the end, and the end was another win. Maybe that is where Tech is: not always the best talent but the opponents will get 60 minutes of what there is. and sometimes 100% effort with 75% talent is enough. I watched that 94-yard drive for about the third time before I really appreciated that with Georgia teeing up and going headhunting after Thomas penned in the end zone, the O line refused to collapse as they might have done and did do numerous times in 2015. 100% effort.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I predicted 8-4 at the start of the year, so I'm definitely pleased...especially with a win over Georgia. The Pitt game hurts right about now, but IIWII. Given the way things shook out, it doesn't look like it would have changed all that much, as we would have had to beat Miami, as well to get to the ACCCG.

So yeah, the season was fun, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. I'm happy with the turnaround this year, but a little perspective:
  1. We are about to lose a Senior QB who is one of the best players we've had on the Flats in a long time...JT didn't always look perfect, but that guy found a way to win...there aren't a lot of players out there like that
  2. Don't crown the O-line just yet. We're about to lose the best player up there...remember how that turned out last time? I'm optimistic, but still...
  3. Our defense is still a huge problem. They got shredded for the better part of the day in Athens. Oh, and the two most consistent players on that side of the ball (PJ Davis and Pat Gamble) are gone. I know we're returning 8 starters, but that's 8 starts from a unit that, quite frankly, wasn't very good
Just like this year, we have a chance to be good next year...but to say that we're primed for a huge season is probably a misnomer. Next year's team will need to play with the fire that this year's team did in the second half of the season if they want to be good. Otherwise we might regress. To me the two big points are QB and just overall defense.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Well, we went 1-0 on the last weekend of the regular season. I guess now it is time to reflect on the season and talk about our record vs expectations and such. It sure feels good ending this way. Every victory over the Mutts should be savored. We won 5 more games than last year. How ever you slice it, that is real tangible progress.

I think you have to take stock in the contributions of the young players on the roster, especially on the OL. The skill positions on offense have some experience and some eligibility left as well. QB is a question, but MJ has given a ton of hope after turning in a win against the Turkeys. He sets the bar. It will be up to the others if they want to wrestle the job away.

I am not overly concerned about which bowl we go to, but I am incredibly thankful for the extra pratice time it provides. We are young and getting the RS players some time outside the scout team will be very critical for the future.

Thoughts?

The part I liked the best about our team is how they improved from week to week especially the line. I am very impressed with the progress of our defense and the offensive line. Losing Patrick and the ever reliable #40 on defense along with Smoove and Freddie on offense will be a challenge. Thanks, seniors for the memories and best wishes on your future endeavors.

Next year? Well, it will be a new team in some ways but one with a solid foundation on the offensive line. Defense must get stronger and faster. We will see. I think we will be better IF we get solid quarterback play and improved defense. Have to replace two reliable kickers as well. We may have the most talent and depth returning in the Johnson era but not really sure.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
2014 all over again next year as best I can remember where we were in Spring 2014. New starting qb but one with some experience, potential and some depth on the OL, strength of the O is experience and playmakers at AB, BB, and WR. Johnson's just got to get them to play together. On D just like 2014, lots of experience and playmakers among the DB's, some experience on the DL and need one of them to step up, looking for help at LB. Kicking could be the achilles heel. Can lose you a game fast.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Some observations:

The 13 yard run by MM in that final drive Saturday may be the nicest, toughest run by a GT back since the 2014 Orange Bowl.

Late in the 4th quarter Georgia was physically beaten. Three uga players were injured during that 94 yard drive and we jumped on their replacements with a vengeance. Our OL was driving them off the LOS and our A backs were making their blocks. The 5* v. 3* mismatch was no longer visible.

After his mistake in the 2014 game that gave uga their go ahead possession, I am sure this game had tremendous personal satisfaction for Thomas.

Last edited:

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
2014 all over again next year as best I can remember where we were in Spring 2014. New starting qb but one with some experience, potential and some depth on the OL, strength of the O is experience and playmakers at AB, BB, and WR. Johnson's just got to get them to play together. On D just like 2014, lots of experience and playmakers among the DB's, some experience on the DL and need one of them to step up, looking for help at LB. Kicking could be the achilles heel. Can lose you a game fast.
It was a relief after eight years to have somebody booming the kickoffs through the end zone.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think Julius summed it up best when he said, "Attitude reflects leadership."

Our guys don't quit. They don't give up. And they fight to the very last.

It's a good thing we're not leading these GT teams. :)
On the air during the UGA game the other day, Sean Bedford again told the story from 2008. Tech was down at halftime, and by a formidable margin (16 pts). Paul walked into the locker room and said, "We're gonna win this game. Anybody who doesn't believe that needs to get out of here now."

That's not just talk. Giving up is not an option.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't think I am ever really "fine" with any record that doesn't end in a zero.
Paul says that any time someone asks him what he thinks the record will be in an upcoming season, he says, "12-0."

His rationale is, "If I say something like '10-2,' then you've got every right to ask me 'Well, Coach...which 2 games do you plan to lose?' And, I don't plan to lose ANY of them." Yeah, he really is that stubborn. And, competitive. It's a thing of beauty.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
2014 all over again next year as best I can remember where we were in Spring 2014. New starting qb but one with some experience, potential and some depth on the OL, strength of the O is experience and playmakers at AB, BB, and WR. Johnson's just got to get them to play together. On D just like 2014, lots of experience and playmakers among the DB's, some experience on the DL and need one of them to step up, looking for help at LB.

This is a very interesting observation.

/

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Not knowing where else to drop this, but two Johnson/spread acolytes are doing very well. Navy is 9-2 so far and bowl-bound, and Army -- after Monken went 3-9, 4-8, 2-10, is 6-5 and also bowl bound. I am really looking forward to the Army-Navy game and hope there will be an analyst with at least a passing knowledge of the offenses. I just dread hearing Bback into the line described as a "fullback dive" without any understanding of what it is intended to accomplish.