Time to Reflect

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
My bias notwithstanding, in light of last year's 3-9 season fans should look on 8-4 (with a shot at 9) as a solid turnaround. Any other assessment is a loss of historic perspective for Georgia Tech fans.

In other news, UGA firing a 10-win coach for "better" should serve as a cautionary tale.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
My bias notwithstanding, in light of last year's 3-9 season fans should look on 8-4 (with a shot at 9) as a solid turnaround. Any other assessment is a loss of historic perspective for Georgia Tech fans.

In other news, UGA firing a 10-win coach for "better" should serve as a cautionary tale.
Amen!

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Great year. 8 wins with a UGA victory will take 80% of the time. Occasionally will have some studs and expect better but most times 8-4 with UGA win is very good plus this team improved as year went on and we were 3-9 last year so how can you complain. Other upbeat thing is I believe our talent level is up from where it was in 2010-2012 era. WR's are good enough, Abacks are young and talented, DB's are young and fairly talented but the most excitement is for the oline which has the potential to be scary good going forward. There are some holes on the team and always scary when bring in new QB but ...... and dline will lose Gamble but #94, #99 and #90 may be able to come in and do some things - we will see. Probably the one disappointment from yesterday was getting knocked off the line on defense. There were times we knew they were going to run it and we couldn't stop it. But let's enjoy the win and the defense got the stops when we had to have them.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Great year. 8 wins with a UGA victory will take 80% of the time. Occasionally will have some studs and expect better but most times 8-4 with UGA win is very good plus this team improved as year went on and we were 3-9 last year so how can you complain. Other upbeat thing is I believe our talent level is up from where it was in 2010-2012 era. WR's are good enough, Abacks are young and talented, DB's are young and fairly talented but the most excitement is for the oline which has the potential to be scary good going forward. There are some holes on the team and always scary when bring in new QB but ...... and dline will lose Gamble but #94, #99 and #90 may be able to come in and do some things - we will see. Probably the one disappointment from yesterday was getting knocked off the line on defense. There were times we knew they were going to run it and we couldn't stop it. But let's enjoy the win and the defense got the stops when we had to have them.
You have to add the potential of our BBs is off the chart

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Good/very good season pending bowl game. 8-4 with wins over Georgia and Virginia Tech after a 3-9 season in an improved ACC. I believe we would be a 10 win team with an NFL caliber WR or LB/DL.

The way we played against Clemson and UNC was pretty bad, but I don't think you can say losing to either team is bad. Played very evenly with Pitt and Miami...would have loved to win, but sometimes they dont go your way. Both are solid, above average teams.

Probably up there with 2008 as Johnson's 3rd best season. Gotta close out this 2017 recruiting class well.
I might have missed a game in my euphoria, but the ACC by my count went 3-1 against the SEC Saturday. Maybe along with all the good coaching hires the ACC needs to invest in a PR machine. Like the SEC.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer

I didn't realize it until today, but since the sec expanded with A&M and Missouri, only two teams had averaged 10 wins a season--Alabama and uga. Do you think the nadlickers are having seller's remorse right now?

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I might have missed a game in my euphoria, but the ACC by my count went 3-1 against the SEC Saturday. Maybe along with all the good coaching hires the ACC needs to invest in a PR machine. Like the SEC.
Agreed, and if my count is correct, the ACC went 6-3 against the SEC this year. Add to that the fact that for the 2014-2016 seasons, on rivalry week the ACC has a 10-2 record vs. the SEC. We can brag about this until the 2017 preseason rankings come out and the SEC has their obligatory 11 of the top 25 ranked teams again,

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm fine with 8-4 with number 8 going against the Dogs. BC, Miami, Duke, Pitt, and Georgia could have gone either way. We won 3 of those. If you want to moan about the Pitt and Miami games (I do too), you have to also think how easily we could have lost any of the others.

There will be some questions about next year. Always are. I saw a lot of potential in Jordon, but still, I'd like to see if we have someone a little quicker running the offense. Adams simply MUST take some weight off so he can be an every series player. Someone needs to be his personal trainer and watch him like a hawk. I thought I'd go crazy watching them push the middle of our line all over the field. But otherwise I feel good about next year's group. Terrell Lewis has the potential to be outstanding; the knock on him is he doesn't know assignments. Surely with two camps as a starter he can get that down. Secondary and defensive ends should be better. Maybe Simmons and St Amour can finally give us a pass rush.

One change PJ ordered on the defense seems to have made a huge difference. The idea of throwing the house when you blitz or covering completely when you cover. I could see definite improvement in the last few games.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, we went 1-0 on the last weekend of the regular season. I guess now it is time to reflect on the season and talk about our record vs expectations and such. It sure feels good ending this way. Every victory over the Mutts should be savored. We won 5 more games than last year. How ever you slice it, that is real tangible progress.

I think you have to take stock in the contributions of the young players on the roster, especially on the OL. The skill positions on offense have some experience and some eligibility left as well. QB is a question, but MJ has given a ton of hope after turning in a win against the Turkeys. He sets the bar. It will be up to the others if they want to wrestle the job away.

I am not overly concerned about which bowl we go to, but I am incredibly thankful for the extra pratice time it provides. We are young and getting the RS players some time outside the scout team will be very critical for the future.

Thoughts?
Any 8 win season with a win over the Mutts is a really good season, i do have concerns going into next year at the QB position.

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
On top of all the positives of an 8 win season (with 5-1 over the last 6 with wins over VT and UGA), I am most excited about how much talent we have returning, and the fact that many of our division rivals are losing big pieces (UNC loses their QB and many others, Kayaa at Miami is gone, both likely headed to the NFL, it's possible James Connor at Pitt leaves too).

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
On top of all the positives of an 8 win season (with 5-1 over the last 6 with wins over VT and UGA), I am most excited about how much talent we have returning, and the fact that many of our division rivals are losing big pieces (UNC loses their QB and many others, Kayaa at Miami is gone, both likely headed to the NFL, it's possible James Connor at Pitt leaves too).

Conner has a real shot this year at getting drafted. He should go now. I am rooting for him and would love to see him take at least one snap in the NFL

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't think I am ever really "fine" with any record that doesn't end in a zero. I am just the type that goes back and looks at the opportunities lost along the way. This year, for me it is the PITT and MIA games. What I am pleased with most is the improvement and the progress. We were a "tougher" and more "resilient" bunch this year, even if we weren't way "better".
Finishing games is often the difference. We didn't finish every one, but we certainly did way better than last year in this area. To me, that goes back to all the off season work and a general hunger caused by the sting of 2015.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Finishing as strongly as we did tells me we are developing depth and also improving talent wise. Lots of our uga losses can be attributed to them having more depth late in the season. The last two trips to athens says that is coming to an end. Beating a good VT team in Blacksburg the 11th week of the season without the starting qb, without the starting B back, with three TRUE Freshmen on the OL, and the rest of the team composed of 80th ranked recruiting classes is a testament to hard work, conditioning, and good coaching. Otherwise something supernatural was on display. We dominated uga in the 4th qtr of the last game of the season. A 95 yd drive when we were down by 13 and had to have it. Maybe something supernatural was at work in November of this year.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Any 8 win season with a win over the Mutts is a really good season, i do have concerns going into next year at the QB position.

Have to agree. I just really hope, as fans, we do not think we have "arrived". I hope nobody forgets what it felt like to go from 1990 to 1991, or from 2014 to 2015.

Each season stands on its own. We are due Nothing next year because of this year. Enjoy it now and have a good bowl game.

As for next year, perhaps reference saban's outlook to his team at beginning of a new year after they have won multi N.C.