Time to Reflect

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, we went 1-0 on the last weekend of the regular season. I guess now it is time to reflect on the season and talk about our record vs expectations and such. It sure feels good ending this way. Every victory over the Mutts should be savored. We won 5 more games than last year. How ever you slice it, that is real tangible progress.

I think you have to take stock in the contributions of the young players on the roster, especially on the OL. The skill positions on offense have some experience and some eligibility left as well. QB is a question, but MJ has given a ton of hope after turning in a win against the Turkeys. He sets the bar. It will be up to the others if they want to wrestle the job away.

I am not overly concerned about which bowl we go to, but I am incredibly thankful for the extra pratice time it provides. We are young and getting the RS players some time outside the scout team will be very critical for the future.

Thoughts?

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
If, before the season, you'd have said 8-4 with a win over UGA, I think 90% of your fanbase would have signed up in the blink of an eye. As a matter of fact, I think your fanbase would sign up for that every season until the end of time.

QB is a question, defense is a question (although I really do believe your program is more talented in the younger kids), kicker is a question (reputation aside, bulovas is a freshman, ,and Butker is a great).

mj claz

Jolly Good Fellow
Good/very good season pending bowl game. 8-4 with wins over Georgia and Virginia Tech after a 3-9 season in an improved ACC. I believe we would be a 10 win team with an NFL caliber WR or LB/DL.

The way we played against Clemson and UNC was pretty bad, but I don't think you can say losing to either team is bad. Played very evenly with Pitt and Miami...would have loved to win, but sometimes they dont go your way. Both are solid, above average teams.

Probably up there with 2008 as Johnson's 3rd best season. Gotta close out this 2017 recruiting class well.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
Great season. I'll definitely take 8 wins including beating the dwags. I'm not really worried about offense. My main concern next year is the D-line, Linebackers, and Kicker/Punter. But I think we've recruited well with the kickers. The other two, we'll see. We definitely need dept on the D-line.

Old School

Jolly Good Fellow
This was a great season.....period. The future looks promising. I would love to see Tech build on this year with some extra commitment from the higher ups. It's obvious more money needs to be pumped into the program. Don't take my word for it, take CPJ's.

What could we do by doubling the recruiting budget? Johnson does more with less than anybody out there. Let's give him more and see what's possible. I think he can win a natty. But it's gonna take better talent. Particularly on D. Even my father in law who knows nothing about football made the comment "the LSU/Texas A&M players look much more physically imposing than the Tech/Georgia players."

Sorry for the long post. The kids played their guts out and as a result it's gonna be a fun 12 months! THWG

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
We did better than I predicted. I'll gladly take it. Practice time and a good look at who will replace JT and Harrison Butker next year is critical.

I know we have some issues defensively, but the overall improvement stands on its own.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
We did better than I predicted. I'll gladly take it. Practice time and a good look at who will replace JT and Harrison Butker next year is critical.

I know we have some issues defensively, but the overall improvement stands on its own.
This! Never thought we would get more than 6 or 7 wins or a victory over the mutts. Sweet season!

Good/very good season pending bowl game. 8-4 with wins over Georgia and Virginia Tech after a 3-9 season in an improved ACC. I believe we would be a 10 win team with an NFL caliber WR or LB/DL.

The way we played against Clemson and UNC was pretty bad, but I don't think you can say losing to either team is bad. Played very evenly with Pitt and Miami...would have loved to win, but sometimes they dont go your way. Both are solid, above average teams.

Probably up there with 2008 as Johnson's 3rd best season. Gotta close out this 2017 recruiting class well.
I think our WR's are fine. whether they are NFL-worthy or not. We DO need better LB'x and DL

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I said at the beginning of the season 9 wins and a win over UGA and I'll be happy. ACC Division champ is always my main want so we at least have a shot at the ACC Title. Season started bad but I won't end with many complaints.

Hey all 4 losses were to ACC opponents, the SEC always uses that excuse to say they'd have 1 loss in any other conference.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I said at the beginning of the season 9 wins and a win over UGA and I'll be happy. ACC Division champ is always my main want so we at least have a shot at the ACC Title. Season started bad but I won't end with many complaints.

Hey all 4 losses were to ACC opponents, the SEC always uses that excuse to say they'd have 1 loss in any other conference.

You guys beat up on the weaker conferences OOC this year, so maybe it's not as impressive as I initially thought.

Jmonty71

Banned
I thought the offense would of been better, and they were. I also knew we'd struggle on defense. Not the the tune of being as bad as we are, but Roof brings an outdated scheme. I think we better be in the top 40 on defense, next year, if Roof is retained. There is no excuse on being in the bottom half on most defensive stats. Our talent is better than what our rankings show.

As for 8 to 9 wins? No... I was picking 7 to 8. So, we did a little better. Pitt was lost from bad D. Miami was on the offense. Clemson was never going to happen. UNC was on the D.

Next year, I want to see some solid D play. No more excuses.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Gonna suck losing Gamble and PJ but our secondary will be very experienced next year. I think Branch can fill in for Pat. I think he'll be very good the next 2 years. Our linebackers need to figure out how to play better. Those games without PJ were way uglier than the games with him. Not great in pass coverage but at least he could play the run.

Also think we played better this year with Rook on the field for as much crap as he gets. Probably as disrespected as Bryan Chamberlain was. Didn't do anything great but did a solid job for most his career.