Thoughts going into UVA week

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Tenuta definitely gave us some entertaining defenses. Anyone remember the whooping our D put on #2(I think) Auburn way back circa 2005? Was in Auburn for that game. Our defense was in the backfield pretty much the entire game.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Tenuta is over rated by the Tech fan base. If he was that good he would not keep jumping from job to job. Bud Foster, John Chavis and Pat Narduzzi are great defensive coordinator. Tenuta is second tier. I would take Wommack back before taking Tenuta back. I think we have the right guy once he gets his own players out there.

Go Jackets!

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Job hopping is a sign of not being good? Say whaaa? Tell that to: Gus Malzahn, James Franklin, Charlie Strong, etc. NCAA football is a volatile industry and you see very few coaches last long anywhere anymore.

As for "overrated" WHEN ELSE HAVE WE EVER HAD SIX CONSECUTIVE SEASONS of top 30 scoring Defenses? Or is that overrated? Yeah, I remember that time we had the number 1 defense in NCAA for 9 straight years... except NOT. If we regularly had elite defenses, that'd be one thing, but we haven't been top 30 on D in decades except for Tenuta's time.

Tenuta is over rated by the Tech fan base. If he was that good he would not keep jumping from job to job. Bud Foster, John Chavis and Pat Narduzzi are great defensive coordinator. Tenuta is second tier. I would take Wommack back before taking Tenuta back. I think we have the right guy once he gets his own players out there.

Go Jackets!
For every good defensive game that Tenuta coached at Tech, there was an equally bad one. There was no consistency at all. And he never figured out how to defend Groh's UVA teams in Charlottesville.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
For every good defensive game that Tenuta coached at Tech, there was an equally bad one. There was no consistency at all. And he never figured out how to defend Groh's UVA teams in Charlottesville.

That's simply not true.

Games we held teams to 21 or less: 43! (6+ a year)

Games we allowed 30 or more: 14 (2 and change a year).

You anti-Tenuta folks are revisionist masters.

That's simply not true.

Games we held teams to 21 or less: 43! (6+ a year)

Games we allowed 30 or more: 14 (2 and change a year).

You anti-Tenuta folks are revisionist masters.
Sorry, man. I never liked him. The way he flopped every year at Charlottesville turned me off to him forever. I will say though that I liked his style, and I wish Roof would play so aggressively. But he let me down way too many times.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Since Tenuta:

21 or less: 37 (in 88 games)

30 or more: 27 (in 88 games)

Or are you under the impression that he's been our D coordinator since 2008?

Last edited:

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Flopped AT Virginia? He allowed 29, 27, and 28 points in 2003, 2005, and 2007. If that's your definition of "flopping" lol, I got some news for you: those are middle of the pack numbers, and this is GT. If that was his floor, average, we ought to be ecstatic.

Digging down into those games, 14 points came off of defensive scores, so he allowed 70 points across 3 games, for an average of 23.333 a game. And in the high game (29 points allowed) THREE UVA drives started at the GT 45 or better due to turnovers.

Please, you guys, tell me when Tech was consistently better than that in living memory? Enlighten me PLEASE since that's so horrible.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
In 2002, GT won 23-15 to UVa in Atlanta.
In 2003, GT lost 23-28 to UVa in Charlottesville.
In 2004, GT lost 10-30 to UVa in Atlanta.
In 2005, GT lost 23-28 to UVa in Charlottesville.
In 2006, GT won 24-7 over UVa in Atlanta.
In 2007, GT lost 23-28 to UVa in Charlottesville.

UVa was often ranked when we lost to them. The recaps talk about "erratic play" on offense, turnovers, etc. I'll agree that had we held them under 20 points each time, we'd have won almost all of them, but nowhere are we giving up a ton of points to UVa.

I don't see why you think Tenuta couldn't coach in Charlottesville.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I like Tenuta's defenses too. The bright spot of the Gailey era.
I don't think his style of defense is a good matchup for him facing GT. With that said I think we'll start strong and cruise this victory 41 to 28.
Our defense will have to mimic Tenuta's some. UVA doesnt really have a big play threat and they are not yetbas effiencient as Duke.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I like Tenuta's defenses too. The bright spot of the Gailey era.
I don't think his style of defense is a good matchup for him facing GT. With that said I think we'll start strong and cruise this victory 41 to 28.
Our defense will have to mimic Tenuta's some. UVA doesnt really have a big play threat and they are not yetbas effiencient as Duke.

That is unless the players turn into mother f*****rs all of a sudden, right?

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
The thing that worries me is that Tenuta held a lot of offenses to under 100 yds rushing. IIRC, there were a few games where the opposition had negative yds rushing. I was sorry to see him go, but not sure if Atlanta is big enough for Tenuta and CPJ. For darn sure Grant Field isn't.