Thoughts going into UVA week

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Tenuta: I think Tenuta is one of the actual bonafide defensive coordinators out there. Would've loved to have kept him here at GT. I always wonder what could've been had we kept him .... wow, what a thought. Think about a great defense going with our offense all these years.

UNC scored 28 on UVA. It has appeared to me that UNC has an offense to be reckoned with. We have a bad defense, but their offense made our defense look like air. Against other teams, I thought our defense had a chance, but against UNC, it wasn't a matter of having a chance, it was a matter of how many plays will it take. So, UNC scoring 28 against them, I believe, confirms both that UNC has a good offense and that UVA has a good defense.

Where Tenuta's defense excels is at stopping traditional offenses. He will shut down a power run game and give heavy, effective pressure against their play-action game. His MO is to stop what the offense is good at and if they're going to beat you, make them do it left handed (he preached this to us), and that is a good philosophy. As far as I can see, if he's got an achilles heal, it's the non-traditional offenses. His defenses are so geared to stop what most offenses do, that they will struggle to play a different kind of game. We've had good success against them the last 2 years. He had trouble with WVU in the gator bowl, and with Oregon. Now, most DC's have trouble with these (and our) offense, so that's not just a Tenuta problem. I think he will come up with some kind of good game plan against us. But, what our offense does is it turns Tenuta's philosophy against he defense. It dictates what the defense can do. The defense can't do what it's good at (which is blitz pressure, pressure, pressure, aggressive), it will have to beat us left handed, it will have to focus on assignments. But, I do believe his defense will be a bigger challenge than we've seen the last 2 weeks against UNC and Pitt. I think he will do everything he can to try to make JT have to beat us with his arm. He will take some chances as well to try to make things happen. I wouldn't be surprised to see their defense be as effective as a VT or Duke against us, though I think we're much better offensively now than we were against VT. Hopefully Synjyn continues to be a workhorse and not fumble.

Chance at a defensive revival: I remember feeling this way about our defense during Groh's last weeks. I remember when Kelly took over thinking that there was little chance we could get any better. I thought that there were too many personnel issues back then, just like I'm thinking now. I do think the big difference between then and now is the crazy attrition we've had on the DL, but I'm still wondering if there is any way we could see some semblance of a defensive revival over the last part of this year the way we saw it that year under Kelly. 33Jacket and others are adamant that the defense SHOULD be better. I have argued against that point, saying that there's no way you can expect better when you have those kinds of losses on the DL in the offseason. BUT, I was wrong back in '11 and I hope I'm wrong now. I still disagree with them that the source of our defensive ineptitude is Roof's head being up his rear, but I'm going to go ahead and change my mind and side with them that our defense CAN be better. I'm sure Roof is looking for answers, and I'm hoping he finds something this week; or at least before we get to Ugag. If he finds something, anything that can shore up our DL and/or create pressure, something that could just at least make the offense do something they don't want to have to do to beat us, we still have a chance at being a great team rather than just a great offense.

When Kelly took over, he changed us from a 3-4 to a 4-3 because it fit our personality better. I wouldn't mind seeing the inverse happen in this case and go to a 3-4 to minimize the impact of the DL, put your best 3 DL out there and get more athleticism on the field in the form of LB's and/or DB's in the back 8 (rather than back 7) and just send people from everywhere.

AtWork

Jolly Good Fellow
I wouldn't mind seeing the inverse happen in this case and go to a 3-4 to minimize the impact of the DL, put your best 3 DL out there and get more athleticism on the field in the form of LB's and/or DB's in the back 8 (rather than back 7) and just send people from everywhere.

I am with you on this one. I think we have some linebackers that can be better in blitzing than just standing in the front 4 and wrapping and looping them. At worst I think this could at least be a different look and give the DL some rest. Switch it up a series and then flip back. I do think Roof and those guys will figure something out. One game at a time and one play at a time. It isn't like they have quit playing for the coaches. Here's to hoping and watching these Jackets get better every week!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Good stuff, Vamos! Thanks for the "insider" knowledge on Tenuta.

Your point on the 3-4 is something I touched on in another thread last week. I would love to see us go to a "pseudo" 3-4, with a LB being a faux DE/OLB ala Jeremiah Attaochou last year. I'd have Freeman and Gotsis line up at DE, with Gamble/Green lining up at the DT spot. Harrell/Marcordes could line up on the outside as the DE/OLB. I really think we're not utilizing Marcordes and Harell as much as we could. PJ has shown how adept he is at cleaning up anything out of the offensive backfield, and I'd let him continue that. It may be too late in the season to fully implement it, but I'm sure we could do it in increments as to not totally throw a curve ball at our guys on defense.

On a side note, while watching the game, I caught one of the announcers saying that CPJ spent a lot of time last week in defensive meetings and focusing on defensive drills. Maybe it's nothing more than wanting to put genuine input on trying to help CTR, but I remember the last time he had to do that...it was during the last days of Al Groh.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Tenuta's got five 4 star recruits and 2 5 star recruits on that d right now. Yet he still managed to give up 2 bombs for TDs (57 and 63 yds) that lost the game vs UNC. If Roof had UVA's d-line talent to work with, we'd be singing his praises. How our OL matches up with UVA's talented d-line will be the story of the game next week.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Tenuta's got five 4 star recruits and 2 5 star recruits on that d right now. Yet he still managed to give up 2 bombs for TDs (57 and 63 yds) that lost the game vs UNC. If Roof had UVA's d-line talent to work with, we'd be singing his praises. How our OL matches up with UVA's talented d-line will be the story of the game next week.
Story of the game: UVA's D-line unable to leave field due to GT's O-line paving job.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Call me deeply skeptical about Tenuta. I never liked him at Tech and was glad when he finally left. However, it is not a contradiction to say that Tenuta style attacking defense may be one of the few last hopes for a defense that is undermanned. I would much rather have CTR in the long term because I feel like his defenses (when he gets the right personnel) will be more consistent that Tenuta. Tenuta, from his time at Tech, will always feel to me like a boom or bust defensive coach where we cheer the great play one minute but give up the huge critical play the next minute.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
We did a better job getting to the QB in the Pitt game than we have all year. If we are determined to use the 4-2-5 scheme, fine. Bring pressure from the corners and for heavens sake blitz on third and long. Last week we blitzed on second down, and only rushed 4 on third down. They converted that third and long of about 15 yards.

Matt E

GT Athlete
We did a better job getting to the QB in the Pitt game than we have all year. If we are determined to use the 4-2-5 scheme, fine. Bring pressure from the corners and for heavens sake blitz on third and long. Last week we blitzed on second down, and only rushed 4 on third down. They converted that third and long of about 15 yards.

We ran a traditional 4-3 a lot during the Pitt game. We had Nealy, Macordes, and Davis all in at once. Every other game we have played an additional safety in the Will backer spot. That could be due to Pitt's focus on the run. We will see if we go back to more
4-2-5 this week.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Call me deeply skeptical about Tenuta. I never liked him at Tech and was glad when he finally left. However, it is not a contradiction to say that Tenuta style attacking defense may be one of the few last hopes for a defense that is undermanned. I would much rather have CTR in the long term because I feel like his defenses (when he gets the right personnel) will be more consistent that Tenuta. Tenuta, from his time at Tech, will always feel to me like a boom or bust defensive coach where we cheer the great play one minute but give up the huge critical play the next minute.

Noted, that you're deeply skeptical about a man who kept us in the top 40 on D for 4 straight years (3 in the top 30) with 2 and 3 star talent, and who oversaw losses to UGA in which they scored 19, 14, and 15 points from 2004-2006. We also held #2 Notre Dame to 14 points in 2006 and lost, Wake Forest to 9 and lost, and that's just 2006. If your expectations are to NEVER give up more than 30 points, you are unrealistic. He was the best defensive coordinator we have ever had, and without him we would not have 18 straight bowls, and would in fact probably have gone 3 or less wins in some of those seasons.

So yeah, let's be skeptical about that cuz, you know, we would totally have been a top 5 defense without him those years because that's what GT normally is.

Also, your statement about "one play to the next" is entirely subjective and revisionist. We averaged LESS than 20 points a game on offense in most of those seasons and still won a lot. His AVERAGE (meaning, counting one play to the next and averaging them) defensive output was enough to win with 2 TDs and a FG a game. Think about that and then read what you wrote.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
In 2002, even with the horrid 51-7 loss, we were 28th in scoring D. 28th. We'd be undefeated under CPJ with 38th, let alone 28th. Offense was 93rd.

In 2003, we improved to 27th. Offense was 90th in points scored.

In 2004, the D improved to 22, offense got to 88th!

In 2005, the D fell all the way to 23, I guess Tenuta sucked something serious. The mighty Gailey O was 104th. WITH PJ DANIELS, CHOICE, CALVIN JOHNSON.

In 2006, the D was 27th, but the O finally got to 55th.

In 2007, the D got back to 22nd. The O fell to 69th.

Keep in mind we were ALWAYS a top 30 scoring D under Tenuta, and that's considering that Gailey's offense did not win TOP and often left the D with awful field position, and that also doesn't account for the numerous special teams/Reggie Ball gift TDs we gave up. I bet, taking those out, we were top 15/20 in 2004-2006.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think our offense is a matchup nightmare for what Tenuta likes to do.

We scored 35 last season despite turning the ball over 5 times. Hit numerous big plays.

UVA is much better on D this year than last. Also, Tenuta is very competitive and did not like either how that game ended or that CPJ was given the HC job over him.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
UVA is much better on D this year than last. Also, Tenuta is very competitive and did not like either how that game ended or that CPJ was given the HC job over him.

I don't think it's much better. I'd agree it's better.

I also think seeing how a team/DC does against us in particular even in past years is a much better prediction of how well they will defend us than how they've done against other teams.

Finally, what about a convoluted zone blitzing scheme is good when we're running the option from the line of scrimmage either past where you've just blitzed or into the space you've just vacated?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Noted, that you're deeply skeptical about a man who kept us in the top 40 on D for 4 straight years (3 in the top 30) with 2 and 3 star talent, and who oversaw losses to UGA in which they scored 19, 14, and 15 points from 2004-2006. We also held #2 Notre Dame to 14 points in 2006 and lost, Wake Forest to 9 and lost, and that's just 2006. If your expectations are to NEVER give up more than 30 points, you are unrealistic. He was the best defensive coordinator we have ever had, and without him we would not have 18 straight bowls, and would in fact probably have gone 3 or less wins in some of those seasons.

So yeah, let's be skeptical about that cuz, you know, we would totally have been a top 5 defense without him those years because that's what GT normally is.

Also, your statement about "one play to the next" is entirely subjective and revisionist. We averaged LESS than 20 points a game on offense in most of those seasons and still won a lot. His AVERAGE (meaning, counting one play to the next and averaging them) defensive output was enough to win with 2 TDs and a FG a game. Think about that and then read what you wrote.
You make a strong case and I will reconsider my thinking about him. Perhaps my impressions are purely subjective. I just have memories of giving up huge plays when it counted and point totals like 38 against W.V., 31 against Clemson, 38 against Utah, and even 34 against a very mediocre UNC team and 41 against a truly horrible Duke team. Those do not seem like as many points today because offenses seem to have evolved quickly in the last few years and even very good teams sometimes are giving up lots of points. But Tenuta was at Tech when defenses were expected to be better than that, when APR was not a thing and when recruiting defensive players for Tech was not necessarily easy but a lot easier than it is today. I freely admit that this is a subjective opinion on my part and would have to do deeper research to see if my impressions have data to support them. I also admit that I have not revisited the Tenuta years and perhaps I should go back and revue his tenure at Tech and see if I still have the same impressions of him as I remember.