Thoughts going into UVA week

Mack

Helluva Engineer
The big thing with Roof or JT or anybody else is do you have the hosses to run your defense....when we had JT we blitzed the world mainly due to lack of good cover guys at defensive backs.......we did fine until folks starting screening us and we didnt have coverage on the blitzing side .Roof and others including Wommack can go into a classroom and get the chalk and draw great and I mean great defensive schemes but you need folks to do the diry work of fighting in the trenches..........my take on PJ is we have drafted or signed over fourty kids in last four years to play defense but we cant keep them....Why we cant stockpile is our problem...our number 2 guy is not as good as the folks we play number 1.Roof I think has to go with what he has and his bend and dont break sucks but it appears his talent is brend and break material.I would think we would be better if we were more agressive but thats his call.......give any of the coaches the hosses and they can become a genius over night.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The big thing with Roof or JT or anybody else is do you have the hosses to run your defense....when we had JT we blitzed the world mainly due to lack of good cover guys at defensive backs.......we did fine until folks starting screening us and we didnt have coverage on the blitzing side .Roof and others including Wommack can go into a classroom and get the chalk and draw great and I mean great defensive schemes but you need folks to do the diry work of fighting in the trenches..........my take on PJ is we have drafted or signed over fourty kids in last four years to play defense but we cant keep them....Why we cant stockpile is our problem...our number 2 guy is not as good as the folks we play number 1.Roof I think has to go with what he has and his bend and dont break sucks but it appears his talent is brend and break material.I would think we would be better if we were more agressive but thats his call.......give any of the coaches the hosses and they can become a genius over night.

Agree we are not strong at any position on defense especially DL The refs do not call holding so that makes DL have even worse results. Need lb to stay in middle to help and when they blitz they are held as well.m. Most teams ( baylor) that play aggressive defense (like baylor to get more touches for offense) have gone to one fast roving mlb , two larger strong safeties or smaller lb that can run , and 4db. When they bring 9 men in box you are never sure who is going to blitz. With the speed the play is over quickly or there is quick help to limit the damage. My son coaches similar high school defense - I call it the World War Z defensive strategy for the crazy fast zombie like play of the seven fast defenders.

We need to scheme until we get the additional talent next year - and suffer with young talent for a while.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Agree we are not strong at any position on defense especially DL The refs do not call holding so that makes DL have even worse results. Need lb to stay in middle to help and when they blitz they are held as well.m. Most teams ( baylor) that play aggressive defense (like baylor to get more touches for offense) have gone to one fast roving mlb , two larger strong safeties or smaller lb that can run , and 4db. When they bring 9 men in box you are never sure who is going to blitz. With the speed the play is over quickly or there is quick help to limit the damage. My son coaches similar high school defense - I call it the World War Z defensive strategy for the crazy fast zombie like play of the seven fast defenders.

We need to scheme until we get the additional talent next year - and suffer with young talent for a while.
In the early seventies we used to so the same thing.We did lot of loops with inside backers and tackles and we played a I cover with our other safety leanig toward the strong side of the formation..It works and if you are quick you can do damage.........I say go after them with all you got..............they are completeing passes now anyway........cant hurt.