This years team:

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Well, I do agree with one of the OP's points...at this moment, this is the worst Tech basketball team I've ever seen...but I'm only 33 (for a couple more days), so I didn't see anything before Cremins. At one point earlier in the year that was not the case...we were a much more competitive team but with the injuries and all of the off-court stuff, the wheels have completely come off.

Here are a few things that have disappointed me this year:

1. Ron's sleeziness aside, JO and TJ put their own desires ahead of the team when they took the money and the trip to Arizona. You can argue all day long whether college athletes should be paid and whether you think it's OK to take money and whatnot, but the rules are very clear...those suspensions killed us in the non-conference and pretty much made it impossible to bounce back.

2. Aside from a couple games, I've been disappointed with TJ this year. I'm not sure why he hasn't performed well, but I hoped for more in his Sr. year. His three point shot seems to have just vanished, and he'll disappear some nights

3. I expected more out of Lammers this year, but I think most of his struggles are due to a) injury, and b) the coaches shifting a lot of the focus to AD. I think we're just short handed and didn't have another good looking rotation, so Lammers + AD was better than Lammers alone...even if it hurt Ben's individual performance. I keep telling myself that AD will benefit from the experience next year...

4. As of losing Jose, it sounds like the effort has vanished. But honestly, it's probably not fair to make that statement since I didn't even watch the last two games...I'll have to tune in and watch for myself, but if that's the case it's upsetting. I can stand losing if the team plays hard (that's how miracle wins happen), but if they're phoning it in, I won't be watching much more of this season.

Overall, I'm not giving up on Pastner. As many have already stated, I think we're moving in the right direction. Jose can play, and some of the other recruits coming in are promising. Can't "get old" over night...take 3 years. This year needs to wrap up quickly and we need to put all this off-court nonsense behind us. Next year will be the telling year...if we lay an egg, I think Pastner will be gone the year after...barring some sort of miracle improvement from year 3 to 4.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Uh It got pretty bad the year we didn't even have a court under Gregory. I think we lost to Fordham who won like 8 games that year. ALSO I think the spacing that Stevens gave last year helped Lammers more than some realize. I really think that is the way Pastner wants to play smaller and quicker but does not have the guys here to do it yet. Look at VT they only have 2 players over 6'6" that actually get minutes.

Last edited:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Cole and Wright needed some time to start playing. After BC loss it was obvious that the season was basically over and they needed some PT each game. QS did provide size and outside shot last year that gave Ben room inside. There wasn't anyone to really replace Q this year early on and thus he was forced to play AD with Ben. That combo wasn't too bad but loss of Jose and Haywood changed everything. AD stopped producing and that gave Cole and Wright an opportunity. Its apparent that Pastner is playing for next year now. We will be better overall talent wise unless Okogie goes pro. Crossed fingers he stays.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Having seen both teams play live I'd take this team over the homeless 2012 team if I had to choose. There are more interesting conversations to have.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
So you expect Pastner to walk in and sign a top 25 class year in and year out after taking a coaching job nobody wanted? VIRGINIA who is #1 in the country here is their 2018 recruiting class https://247sports.com/college/virginia/Season/2018-Basketball/Commits Recruiting is not everything to winning. It is a mixture of analyzing talent, recruiting and developing it. All of which will not be shown until year 4-5 under a rebuild, but because Virginia doesn't recruit any better than Tech they must actually be bad. And here is 2017 in case you think it is an anomaly https://247sports.com/college/virginia/Season/2017-Basketball/Commits
I realize what youre trying to say, but the team you see out there now, is 2016's recruiting class... all top 100 prospects.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
I realize what youre trying to say, but the team you see out there now, is 2016's recruiting class... all top 100 prospects.
Yes but if we can get a Devoe in every class that is more talent across the board. Pastner wants to get old so even if they bring in top 50 players (Kyle Guy and Ty Jerome). they aren't leaned on so much immediately. Kyle Guy and Ty Jerome combined for around 12 ppg last year and both played around 15 min a game.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Oh ok gotcha. Yeah those guys were good but also gonna stay around a while. What I hope Pastner can get modeled here.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
What we are doing. Right now. With 14:33 to go in the game is amazing. I would LOVE a win, away in the ACC, against a top 15 team, on their durn senior night.

This would be sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bos

Helluva Engineer
Hard to win a game when you have no PG and no bench, but loved the way guys battled today. GT out rebounded Clemson and killed them on the offensive glass.

The real killer were the fouls. Starting five guys committed 22 fouls. Everyone had at least four. Your defense cannot be the same if everyone is in foul trouble and you don't have depth to back you up.

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
Worst job officiating performance I've ever seen.Not an excuse but the imbalance and inconsistency in regards to and 1's and basically every judgement call went there way...quick whistle when they had the ball...crickets when we drew contact.Blown offensive foul calls...u name it...they blew it.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I didn't watch the last 5 minutes of the game because I got so frustrated with the referees. I knew that they weren't going to let us win that game.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Worst job officiating performance I've ever seen.Not an excuse but the imbalance and inconsistency in regards to and 1's and basically every judgement call went there way...quick whistle when they had the ball...crickets when we drew contact.Blown offensive foul calls...u name it...they blew it.
Typical ACC. Tech has been out of the postseason for a couple of weeks. If Okogie isn't taken out of the game, Clemson is in trouble and is fighting for NCAAs.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
**** the ACC! The refs are a flat out joke. I’m over this this league. Should’ve joined the Big 10 when we had the chance. Today was my breaking point with it. I would’ve sworn we were playing Duke at CIS. I knew we’d blow it but playing 5 on 8 is bull****. I hope every team in the NCAA tournament loses the first weekend because the refs can’t save there ***!
And Pastner, swear at the refs for once! It won’t ****ing hurt! You’re like a Girl Scout compared to these low end whores!