This years team:

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Most teams would love to return their top 3 scorers from a successful team the previous season. Just like what Pastner said today, they missed on too many of their 2017 targets.
1 of those scorers missed several games due to an injury. Another one of those scorers has been playing hurt most of the season. The third scorer is a very flawed player. Returning your top 3 scorers doesn’t automatically equate to a good team.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
I disagree recruiting has to get better we are top 7 for 2018 in the ACC in recruiting (ACC consistantly gets 6-9 teams in the NCAA tournament) getting those guys to their senior year and producing will be the key.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
1 of those scorers missed several games due to an injury. Another one of those scorers has been playing hurt most of the season. The third scorer is a very flawed player. Returning your top 3 scorers doesn’t automatically equate to a good team.

One thing I think we can all agree on is we were extremely optimistic about the development Lammers and Jackson showed under the new staff and were hoping for further growth. Unfortunately they haven't taken the next step. Rather they have regressed a significant amount. I thought Lammers was a top 25 player in the nation coming into the year.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I disagree recruiting has to get better we are top 7 for 2018 in the ACC in recruiting (ACC consistantly gets 6-9 teams in the NCAA tournament) getting those guys to their senior year and producing will be the key.
If it does not get a lot better you will be crying over spilled milk.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
One thing I think we can all agree on is we were extremely optimistic about the development Lammers and Jackson showed under the new staff and were hoping for further growth. Unfortunately they haven't taken the next step. Rather they have regressed a significant amount. I thought Lammers was a top 25 player in the nation coming into the year.
They can get that done, but only if his young players who are rated sort of high. Top 75 to 150.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
If you have been watching Tech basketball for that long, you saw the '80-81 team. If you say this team is worse than that team, you have lost all credibility. That may be the worst team from a power 5 conference in the history of college basketball. Four wins all year long, three of them against NAIA teams. 0 and 14 in the ACC. This team would destroy that team regardless of all of the suspensions, injuries, and inexperience. I was a student at the time, and made some money on the side working as an usher that year. Basically got paid for standing around doing nothing because of near-zero attendance.

I know things have headed south this season, but I don't know what you are expecting based on everything that has happened this season.

I apologize to myself for taking the bait.
Was that the Dwayne Morrison years? Yes....Awful!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
[warning: bad loss attitude]

Josh O should never shoot the ball unless he's getting fouled. He shot 2 of 14 FG, 0 of 8 from 3. A lot of those shots were actually within the offense, but perhaps he was forcing because of Jose's absence.

Ben Lammers has been going through some special Georgia Tech big-tech, data driven evaluation in the neuromechanics lab. Has it hurt more than helped?

IIrc, Jax was like 1 of 11 after the first several minutes.

That's crazy bad for our experienced guys.

GTFLETCH

Banned
This years team has been a HUGE disappointment... I thought we would win more OOC games... I am not sure CJP will ever win more then 8 to 10 ACC games... But we should win 90% of the OOC games...

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
If it does not get a lot better you will be crying over spilled milk.
So you expect Pastner to walk in and sign a top 25 class year in and year out after taking a coaching job nobody wanted? VIRGINIA who is #1 in the country here is their 2018 recruiting class https://247sports.com/college/virginia/Season/2018-Basketball/Commits Recruiting is not everything to winning. It is a mixture of analyzing talent, recruiting and developing it. All of which will not be shown until year 4-5 under a rebuild, but because Virginia doesn't recruit any better than Tech they must actually be bad. And here is 2017 in case you think it is an anomaly https://247sports.com/college/virginia/Season/2017-Basketball/Commits

Last edited:

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
So you expect Pastner to walk in and sign a top 25 class year in and year out after taking a coaching job nobody wanted? VIRGINIA who is #1 in the country here is their 2018 recruiting class https://247sports.com/college/virginia/Season/2018-Basketball/Commits Recruiting is not everything. It is a mixture of recruiting analyzing talent and developing it. All of which will not be shown until year 4-5 under a rebuild.
So, what does the 2018 class have to do with this years team? Recruiting is 80% of the kind of teams that the won- loss will be. So much more important than football, because only 5 play on the court. You can not take nothing but 3 and 2 star players and coach them up enough to make a great difference in the won - loss record. When 5 players are 2 and 3 stars going against 3-4-5 star guys thats a lot to overcome and coaching won't win much. Also the star ranking in basketball is a lot truer than football because of the closeness of the game, the skills are shown off a lot better, more games to take in, and the top 50 recruits in the nation would almost right on.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
So, what does the 2018 class have to do with this years team? Recruiting is 80% of the kind of teams that the won- loss will be. So much more important than football, because only 5 play on the court. You can not take nothing but 3 and 2 star players and coach them up enough to make a great difference in the won - loss record. When 5 players are 2 and 3 stars going against 3-4-5 star guys thats a lot to overcome and coaching won't win much. Also the star ranking in basketball is a lot truer than football because of the closeness of the game, the skills are shown off a lot better, more games to take in, and the top 50 recruits in the nation would almost right on.
Okay name a coach Tech can realistically hire that would consistently bring in 5 star players and land us in the top 25 of recruiting every year? We were turned down by every mid major coach worth anything last time. 2017 was the same way upper class men win championships and Pastner's guys are freshman.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Okay name a coach Tech can realistically hire that would consistently bring in 5 star players and land us in the top 25 of recruiting every year? We were turned down by every mid major coach worth anything last time.
Well, Cremins did it!!!, but things have changed drastically for Tech athlete acceptance. We did some of it, but mostly the ncaa screwed us over. And that is fact. Dave Brainless the AD was partly to blame also. So it is going to be tough for any coach unless the FBI punishes over 3 dozen to college teams which there is a report on that.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Well, Cremins did it!!!, but things have changed drastically for Tech athlete acceptance. We did some of it, but mostly the ncaa screwed us over. And that is fact. Dave Brainless the AD was partly to blame also. So it is going to be tough for any coach unless the FBI punishes over 3 dozen to college teams which there is a report on that.
Cremins did it by bringing in Mark Price who didn't even want to come to tech. He has said on multiple occasions that he was looking for the Oklahoma offer and never got it.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
No one is talking about routinely recruiting 2 star guys. Wright is an aberration due to his athleticism and frame. If you listen to CJP his model is ND who recruits 3 and 4 star players and often sits them on the bench for a couple of years before playing them. We are in the process of getting to a point where the roster that plays has a couple of years in the system and we don't have to play our projects until they are ready. He has been pretty clear we will have "bad days" until then.

If you want to say we should be recruiting at a higher level to have faster impact on the turnaround then go ahead and knock yourself out. I don't totally argue with you. Wish we had higher level recruits that could move the process along. But I also know the CJP contract is pretty much untouchable for a couple more years - probably 3 - and he is bringing in mostly very solid 3 and 4 star prospects starting with next year's class that fit with exactly what he said.

Next year is the last "gap" year where we will have to have freshmen/newcomers start - unless we get a really good 5. After that we should see the strategy have impact - or CJP's seat get really hot. We'll see.
'

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
No one is talking about routinely recruiting 2 star guys. Wright is an aberration due to his athleticism and frame. If you listen to CJP his model is ND who recruits 3 and 4 star players and often sits them on the bench for a couple of years before playing them. We are in the process of getting to a point where the roster that plays has a couple of years in the system and we don't have to play our projects until they are ready. He has been pretty clear we will have "bad days" until then.

If you want to say we should be recruiting at a higher level to have faster impact on the turnaround then go ahead and knock yourself out. I don't totally argue with you. Wish we had higher level recruits that could move the process along. But I also know the CJP contract is pretty much untouchable for a couple more years - probably 3 - and he is bringing in mostly very solid 3 and 4 star prospects starting with next year's class that fit with exactly what he said.

Next year is the last "gap" year where we will have to have freshmen/newcomers start - unless we get a really good 5. After that we should see the strategy have impact - or CJP's seat get really hot. We'll see.
'
Yes, that 2019 class will be the tale of the tape. But also there are only 2 or 3 of our current players who will be back next year do not have the instinct, BBIQ, athletic ability, or the confidence level to make that stride to acc type players. I think Jose, Cole, AD, and maybe Wright. And that's it. Josh is already there. So that is 5 guys and 1 of those I am not sure of.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
So next year add DeVoe and hopefully one of Sjolund or Moore. That is progress - and especially progress in shooting which we desperately need. We aren't going to the final 4 but progress.

I would much rather have Price, Kenny Anderson and Dennis Scott walking in the door next year. Right or wrong that ain't CJP's approach. Whatever anyone thinks he gets 2 probably 3 years to see if it works. Or rather to make it work.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
So next year add DeVoe and hopefully one of Sjolund or Moore. That is progress - and especially progress in shooting which we desperately need. We aren't going to the final 4 but progress.

I would much rather have Price, Kenny Anderson and Dennis Scott walking in the door next year. Right or wrong that ain't CJP's approach. Whatever anyone thinks he gets 2 probably 3 years to see if it works. Or rather to make it work.
I hope they can shoot. What is needed are a couple of pure jump shot guys. I don't think there is a single one on the whole acc team. Now I believe Price played 4, Scott 3 or 4, and Anderson 1 maybe 2.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Yes, that 2019 class will be the tale of the tape. But also there are only 2 or 3 of our current players who will be back next year do not have the instinct, BBIQ, athletic ability, or the confidence level to make that stride to acc type players. I think Jose, Cole, AD, and maybe Wright. And that's it. Josh is already there. So that is 5 guys and 1 of those I am not sure of.
Curtis Haywood is missed too we were hoping he could contribute this year as well. I think he will be able to come in next year and knock down shots after a year with the team. He is another guy everyone forgets we are missing. He can be a 40%+ guy from 3 he shot 37% on 3 attempts per before the injury

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Curtis Haywood is missed too we were hoping he could contribute this year as well. I think he will be able to come in next year and knock down shots after a year with the team. He is another guy everyone forgets we are missing. He can be a 40%+ guy from 3 he shot 37% on 3 attempts per before the injury
He could be the shooter, but sometimes he looked like he did not have the confidence. To me that is about all he needs improve on is that confidence level. You have to let go.