This years team:

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
He is a freshman and unfortunately he's not Kenny Anderson, but he is going to be a good ACC PG. If you have been watching Tech basketball as long as you say you do, then you of all people should know that Paul and Brian severely crippled this program. You should also know Tech is a basketball school and will be again. We are only a couple of players away and the way this FBI thing is going that might not be as a hard of task as originally thought. This is year two of a rebuilding job and I do see improvement in team chemistry and fundamentals and over all level of play. This is team is sooo young it is not funny.
Thanks for the reply. First, I think 3or4 players away. Second, I am sure he will be a good player but right now he is an ok player. He is not a pure shooter, but he is a scorer. Sometimes he seems to force things with the ball, because he is a very good athlete.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I am afraid we lose out to end the season. NCSU is a good team and will give us match up problems. I just don't see another win unless the play-in game at ACC tournament. This has been a really awful year for MBB for last half of the season. Reminds me of some of our Dwyane Morrison years when we were lucky to win 5 games and fans knew we had no chance to win. I am hopeful for next year but we need a talented big that can score.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks for the reply. First, I think 3or4 players away. Second, I am sure he will be a good player but right now he is an ok player. He is not a pure shooter, but he is a scorer. Sometimes he seems to force things with the ball, because he is a very good athlete.

Jose shot 39.2% from 3-pt range in ACC games. That is a very good 3-pt percentage, not just 'ok'. I agree he is not a pure shooter, but he is a better shooter than alot of players.
He had a year that is better than many of the more highly regarded FR in the league.
He will get better since he was only a FR.
He is an ACC level player as a FR. Not an All-ACC level player, but ACC level starter. His efficiency metrics put him in the Top 60 of all ACC players this season. So there is plenty of room to get better, but for a FR, if you don't see an ACC player and aren't pleased with his play you are not paying close enough attention to ACC players in general.

slugboy

Staff member
There have been games that we could have won, if we didn't wear out in the end. We were in Clemson and UVA until last few minutes. I don't think winning is LIKELY, but we have a shot.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
re: Jose, his shooting % may not have been lights out, but the kid has balls. Look at the number of times he stepped up and hit big shots in last 5 minutes of games. Or got back on D after a turnover and then took a charge or forced a turnover. I'm excited about seeing him next year with another offseason of strength training and skill development. The kid is going to be a rock solid part of the team for next three years.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Jose is more than a good enough shooter that you have to guard him at the line. That by itself helps open things up for others. He has a good enough handle to initiate an offense and get others the ball where they need it. He had problems taking the ball into places where he got blocked or got in trouble. Those are freshman mistakes that will be corrected. He can guard the PG position and stay in front of other PGs for the most part. He has a desire to play D and sticks his nose in places looking for the ball.

To me I saw everything I need/want to see out of a PG who will most likely be here for 4 years and be a really good ACC level starter his JR/SR years.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It has been a roughest year I have ever seen in GT Sports (Of course I am only 68). I hope we can move on. We have a nutcase following the team. We have had an assistant coach and two players suspended. The assistant coach resigns after suspension never ends. More injuries that I can remember on a basketball team (college, high school or pros). Head basketball coach lawsuit, sexual harassment charges and counter suit.

I almost (I do really mean almost.) long for the days of the Hewitt’s team that couldn’t figure how to inbound the ball and GT couldn’t figure how to pay his buyout.

Next year I only want to be concerned about how the team plays and improves. This off the court crap is for the lawyers not this fan.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
It has been a roughest year I have ever seen in GT Sports (Of course I am only 68). I hope we can move on. We have a nutcase following the team. We have had an assistant coach and two players suspended. The assistant coach resigns after suspension never ends. More injuries that I can remember on a basketball team (college, high school or pros). Head basketball coach lawsuit, sexual harassment charges and counter suit.

I almost (I do really mean almost.) long for the days of the Hewitt’s team that couldn’t figure how to inbound the ball and GT couldn’t figure how to pay his buyout.

Next year I only want to be concerned about how the team plays and improves. This off the court crap is for the lawyers not this fan.

It’s definitely been the weirdest season I can remember.

Deleted member 2897

I still remember being 3-1 in the ACC. Its sad and silly to think that there is a material chance I'm wrong on the UNDER in my 6-12 prediction this year in ACC play. Sheesh.