This years team:

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I have been watching and keeping up with Tech basketball since the Buddy Blemker era and this is the worst team that I have ever seen at Tech. No matter the extra bad stuff that has happened this year. Acc players should be able to do this and this ect. I believe we are in for a long long time of this. What big time player is going to want to come here dig us out of this mess. I know Devoe is coming and maybe he can. I certainly hope so. But I just don't see it. Now reading some of the stuff on swarm chat some you are saying the same thing I have said! No denying that!!

GaTechNation

Georgia Tech Fan
God I hate GT fans. Brendan Tucker, Marcus Watson, Khalid Moore, Michael Devoe. Still have Alvarado and Okogie for at least a year as well as an improving Gueye and Moses Wright. Avi Schafer is improving as well. The progress of players should be what these last two years are focused on. Not wins and losses. Next year if we are this bad then we can talk about how bad the team is but not now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Really ****ty game toward the end of what has turned into a ****ty season at the end. While undoubtedly disappointing, this is far from the worst season we have had in the ACC. I keep coming back to everything that went right last year went wrong this year. The bullet we should have caught last year we caught X2 this year.

You can be disappointed that CJP is recruiting 4 year type players and hasn't hit on any real high end difference makers so far. That extends the runway to a true good team. But as Nation points out, it doesn't eliminate the fact that there are good pieces going forward into next year. Not all the pieces but enough to see progress. Next year is the last "gap" year IMHO. We should see progress but likely not all the way back.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
God I hate GT fans. Brendan Tucker, Marcus Watson, Khalid Moore, Michael Devoe. Still have Alvarado and Okogie for at least a year as well as an improving Gueye and Moses Wright. Avi Schafer is improving as well. The progress of players should be what these last two years are focused on. Not wins and losses. Next year if we are this bad then we can talk about how bad the team is but not now.

Sorry; but it will have to be proven on the court. All I see coming back next year that is an acc starter rated is Josh. The others are bench warmers. Jose will get to an acc starter maybe next year. The rest do not have that potential because of BB Iq and instincts! The only recruit that has it that I am sure of is Devoe.

GaTechNation

Georgia Tech Fan
Sorry; but it will have to be proven on the court. All I see coming back next year that is an acc starter rated is Josh. The others are bench warmers. Jose will get to an acc starter maybe next year. The rest do not have that potential because of BB Iq and instincts! The only recruit that has it that I am sure of is Devoe.

This is hilarious. Jose is absolutely an ACC starter.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
I have been watching and keeping up with Tech basketball since the Buddy Blemker era and this is the worst team that I have ever seen at Tech. No matter the extra bad stuff that has happened this year. Acc players should be able to do this and this ect. I believe we are in for a long long time of this. What big time player is going to want to come here dig us out of this mess. I know Devoe is coming and maybe he can. I certainly hope so. But I just don't see it. Now reading some of the stuff on swarm chat some you are saying the same thing I have said! No denying that!!
If you have been watching Tech basketball for that long, you saw the '80-81 team. If you say this team is worse than that team, you have lost all credibility. That may be the worst team from a power 5 conference in the history of college basketball. Four wins all year long, three of them against NAIA teams. 0 and 14 in the ACC. This team would destroy that team regardless of all of the suspensions, injuries, and inexperience. I was a student at the time, and made some money on the side working as an usher that year. Basically got paid for standing around doing nothing because of near-zero attendance.

I know things have headed south this season, but I don't know what you are expecting based on everything that has happened this season.

I apologize to myself for taking the bait.

Mojo71

Georgia Tech Fan
Only thing that Tech fans can do is try to forget about this nightmarish of a season and "hopefully" things will be better next year. Coach Pastner has a lotttttt of work to do!

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Y'all know nothing about basketball. No one would touch our program a year ago! We got turned down by Wichita State Valparaiso Butler Xavier and Dayton's head coaches as well as several high end assistants. Everyone saw Georgia tech as a 4-5 year rebuild if everything goes right! Pastner came in and brought the highest rated class since 2012 IN HIS 2ND FULL CLASS. Quit complaining we aren't seen as a blue blood rebuilds take work and time Bennett didn't make the NIT until his 4th year at Virginia. Sit back relax and realize this won't be fixed overnight. BTW it's hard to follow his get old stay old system when his first class are all freshman...

Last edited:

Buzzzard

Georgia Tech Fan
Only thing that Tech fans can do is try to forget about this nightmarish of a season and "hopefully" things will be better next year. Coach Pastner has a lotttttt of work to do!
Pastner has stated multiple times that this year wouldn't be as good as last year (good being relative). I was hoping he was wrong. The worst part is feeling so badly as a fan while balancing that these are kids who work hard and do their best. It's tough to feel good about it.

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Unfortunately, last year's success got too many people thinking unrealistic about this year's team and got people thinking the rebuilding process was only going to take a year. I don't know how you look at a team who has three guys who have played valuable minutes and think they're going to amount to much, but that's what I'm seeing. Pastner said it in his first press conference, it's not going to be an overnight rebuild. It's going to take a few years. This year has been disappointing, but I don't know how you look at the roster and see how much else could have been done. Our incoming incoming recruits will be the best class we've had since 2012. Give it time.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, last year's success got too many people thinking unrealistic about this year's team and got people thinking the rebuilding process was only going to take a year. I don't know how you look at a team who has three guys who have played valuable minutes and think they're going to amount to much, but that's what I'm seeing. Pastner said it in his first press conference, it's not going to be an overnight rebuild. It's going to take a few years. This year has been disappointing, but I don't know how you look at the roster and see how much else could have been done. Our incoming incoming recruits will be the best class we've had since 2012. Give it time.
I agree and all I am saying is that the recruiting needs to get a whole lot better. And i agree that next years class is the best in the last few years, but it is going to have to get a lot better than even that! The reason Cremins made it so fast is that the year of 1980-1981 Steppe was ineligible. The Cremins came along and he got Steppe back!!!

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer

Most teams would love to return their top 3 scorers from a successful team the previous season. Just like what Pastner said today, they missed on too many of their 2017 targets.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
I agree and all I am saying is that the recruiting needs to get a whole lot better. And i agree that next years class is the best in the last few years, but it is going to have to get a lot better than even that! The reason Cremins made it so fast is that the year of 1980-1981 Steppe was ineligible. The Cremins came along and he got Steppe back!!!

Pastner said today that the 2019 class has to be great.

Deleted member 2897

Fact: We have won 12 more games than we were supposed to in years 1 & 2 combined when Pastner was hired.
Fact: We have 3 players out for the year.
Fact: We've had 6 players miss a third of the season.
Fact: Even the guys that are playing have had long injury stretches where they're playing through issues (Lammers, Jackson, etc.). We may not really know the full extent of that until later.

Opinion: This is the most optimistic I've been about our program in at least a decade.

I predicted 6-12 in the ACC this year before the season started. This is not how I thought we would get here, but I was not confident we could win a lot of games.

I will go on record as saying I think we'll get to 20 wins next year.

This year was a terribly frustrating year. But I wouldn't read more into it than is necessary. When stocks are in a bear market, everyone thinks the world is ending - that's when you put all your chips on the table.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Agree about all the bad stuff that has gone on! And I know when I see some of the skills lacking in the people that had to come in. I also don,t see much from them in the future. It is exactly what GTbball said in his last post! That will tell the tale on future GT basketball. That 2019 class will tell it all!

bigsands

Jolly Good Fellow
Recruiting 4 year players is the direction the team should take. Baring more issues, Pastner will be given some time, but his leash is shorter. I hope this Spring he is able to persuade the right young men to look past some of these issues and commit to the school. Running an ACC program is really challenging without Pastner's current distractions.

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Most teams would love to return their top 3 scorers from a successful team the previous season. Just like what Pastner said today, they missed on too many of their 2017 targets.
Well when your top three scorers are surrounded by four Freshman, a Junior who averaged 1.2 PPG and 10 Minutes, and a transfer from Lehigh, it's a bit of a different story.