The Vote of Confidence is in...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Augusta, first I want to think you for the quality of your posts. You seem to keep a level and objective head and it is interesting to read well written and thought out posts in the middle of so many pithy and snarky one or two sentence comments posted ad nauseam.

With that being said, we all thought GOL, given his background as a successful DC, could step in and fix the D problems which were the Achilles heel of his regime and, as he alluded to, was the cause of Lil Joe not winning the Heisman Trophy as a senior. From that experience, perhaps the head coach has too much on his plate to be much help. I know some will argue that it should be done but history shows that neither GOL or PJ were able to stop the leaks. Tenuta did, which may suggest that the HC may be too busy to assist and that it requires coordinators who could or can do it on their own. I know CPJ was on the record about wanting a guy who we could just delegate the D to and not be as involved.

First, thanks.

Secondly, I am tempted to agree with you regarding the HC and responsibilities, but I still think that at some point the HC has to step in and take the rudder. Sure, he needs to be able to delegate, but if he has time to be a development team linebacker, he has time to spare to help his DC with coaching up the secondary. He should have to lean harder on his OC than his DC, as he can always act as his own DC if he had to. CPJ was rare, but not unique, in being a HC to call the offensive plays. Defensive minded HCs should be able to do the same if necessary. CPJ was willing to delegate the D, but not the O. At this point, I'd think CGC would need to be extremely hands on with his D to get this confusion ironed out.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
After three years a transition should have been completed at least to the point of defensive backs knowing where they are supposed to be lined up and not arguing with each other.
But I was told that the Defensive Backs were our strength.....Again.
Not aimed at you by the way. I agree with about everything you write.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree with everything TStan said. Collins recruits are basically either Covid Sophmores or Freshmen and will get better and better. GT has gone from the absolute bottom of the ACC in talent to middle of the road. This wins will come as the talent matures.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
And of course as many have said - transitioning from CPJ and 3O has nothing to do with the defense. How that’s is relevant to our secondary being in a state of confusion on a final drive or getting no pressure on a MAC bottom feeding OL can’t be hung on the transition. That’s for CGC.
Good grief
Well, I disagree with playing DEF with the TO regime makes no difference.You practice a lot vs it and you NEVER see the quality of a good passing attack. BUT there is NO excuse now for having ZERO sacks and a worst Havoc rate than last yr.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I agree with everything TStan said. Collins recruits are basically either Covid Sophmores or Freshmen and will get better and better. GT has gone from the absolute bottom of the ACC in talent to middle of the road. This wins will come as the talent matures.
Are the multitude of transfers we brought in not allowed to contribute?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
If the 3O is the reason we are bad after 2 + years , then tell me what this has to do the the defense not see 2 tight ends the DB's not knowing what to do and the defense looking on the sidelines wait on the play. It's elementary the reason is poor coaching.

Im rubbing off on you. This why i convos need to be off CDP and more on Thacker/Burton

IslandsofGaunilo

Georgia Tech Fan
These are the extremes, but there's a vast middle ground. I wish Geoff would just tell the truth, good or bad. Otherwise, he loses credibility.
He shouldn't be running anyone down, but he gushing while losing is a bad combination.
Collins strikes me as an inveterate bullsh*tter, just like any politician. There is a difference between lying and BSing, though, so Collins may very well speak the truth when he is BSing, but it is by accident and not his intention. His intention, it seems to me, is to sloganeer his way through this transition, without any respect to what the truth might be. And it is this quality that I believe pisses so many of us off, although it might explain why he is such a good recruiter.

jackets55

Jolly Good Fellow
Not calling out any poster or player, but I keep reading that "youth" is part of the problem and once we develop senior players we will be better. Looking at the NCAA participation report, of the 11 defensive players who started the game, 1 is a sixth year player, 2 are 5th year, 6 are 4th year, 1 is 3rd year and 1 is 2nd year. I kind of think we are "old" enough to stop the team we played Sat.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Not calling out any poster or player, but I keep reading that "youth" is part of the problem and once we develop senior players we will be better. Looking at the NCAA participation report, of the 11 defensive players who started the game, 1 is a sixth year player, 2 are 5th year, 6 are 4th year, 1 is 3rd year and 1 is 2nd year. I kind of think we are "old" enough to stop the team we played Sat.
The problem is most of those guys are 3 ply soft.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Absolute bottom of the barrel? 😂

I remember when Cutclife was negatively recruiting against Tech with this line and CPJ pointed out that Tech had put 4X as many wide receivers in the NFL as Duke.

Roswellgoldmember

Georgia Tech Fan
Absolute bottom of the barrel? 😂

I remember when Cutclife was negatively recruiting against Tech with this line and CPJ pointed out that Tech had put 4X as many wide receivers in the NFL as Duke.
I don't buy that the team Collins took over was bottom of the barrel in the ACC. Neither the recruiting rankings nor the results on the field would validate that. We were 7-5 and 5-3 in CPJ's last year and beat some pretty good team. I understand we had challenges specific to transitioning from CPJ's offense but saying we had no talent is Collins and message board hyperbole.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Serious question: Why did TS give him SEVEN years to transition? Mathematically, by Year 4 there will be no more Triple Option players on the team. Year 4 should be the final exam for CGC.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Serious question: Why did TS give him SEVEN years to transition? Mathematically, by Year 4 there will be no more Triple Option players on the team. Year 4 should be the final exam for CGC.

Bc the 1st two yrs was deemed rebuilding
Yr 3 is really yr 1

Also, Yr 4 can’t be the final exam bc CGC first full recruiting would still only be Covid Sophmores/Juniors. Yr 5 is honestly nut cutting time

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
According to the cognoscenti, Collins demanded it and we had no other option. He was offered 5, but turned it down. We were negotiating from a position of weakness. Nobody worth their salt wanted the job. Just reporting what I'm told...

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
That should explain the 3 and out 7 times out of 11 possessions. Of the other 4, 1 ended in a turnover and the other 3 in scores. It seems that if the opponents make a first down, then the drive ends in a turnover or a score. If we need to change personnel, then call a TO or have a rash of ankle injuries.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don't buy that the team Collins took over was bottom of the barrel in the ACC. Neither the recruiting rankings nor the results on the field would validate that. We were 7-5 and 5-3 in CPJ's last year and beat some pretty good team. I understand we had challenges specific to transitioning from CPJ's offense but saying we had no talent is Collins and message board hyperbole.
Theys transitions and transitions apparently. I recall what people wrote before Paul's first year as coach. "Massive transition!" "It'll take years to get players who fit his system!" "They might win 3 games!" "It'll never work at the P5 level!"

And Paul then took players recruited for a completely different system and who had gone 7 - 6 and lost to Fresno State in the Humanitarian Bowl and turned them into a team with a 9 - 3 record and a loss to LSU in the Peach Bowl. You simply can't find a more perfect squelch to the constant drumbeat of "historic transition" then that.

Knowing how to coach makes a difference. And having a bunch of good D players helped. Gailey could flat spot talent.

Last edited:

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
According to the cognoscenti, Collins demanded it and we had no other option. He was offered 5, but turned it down. We were negotiating from a position of weakness. Nobody worth their salt wanted the job. Just reporting what I'm told...
Well … no other option that fit what the "Big Money" wanted. We had several good - heh, heh - options that were simply ignored.