The Vote of Confidence is in...

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
As for everything except game management, game winning, and game week prep, CGC has exceeded expectations. He needs those 3 to keep his job.
Isn't that a bit like saying that the fall from a 20 story building was a lot of fun for the first 19 stories?
What matters is the bottom line....

slugboy

Staff member
Some people have given information that they got from people at or associated with the AA. I’ll recap the exterior (fan-facing) hiring timeline from three years ago:
  • Paul Johnson announces he’s retiring with plenty of games left in the season
  • Some fans wonder whether he was pushed out. Most seem to be wondering who the next coach will be
  • Few, if any, head coaching positions are open. Several sportswriters write that this is a good time to get a new coach.
  • The AA starts a very quiet and close-to-the-vest search. Not much information is leaking.
  • A small group of potential coaches start appearing. It’s not many—Whiz, Collins, Elliot, Monken.
  • Louisville fires their coach and almost immediately hires Satterfield. No indication that Satterfield ever had interest in Tech
  • Somewhere around here, interviews start.
  • Suguira and others announce on social media that Whiz has been offered the job. The GTAA doesn’t really deny it, and doesn’t say much.
  • This board is probably calmer than most (i.e. we’re hopping mad, but other places are even worse), and the pitchforks are out. Most people are highly upset, think that it’s “Chan 2.0” and that football will be boring on the Flats again.
  • I think it’s about this time that Elliot pulls his name out of the hat, although it’s not clear how much it was in the hat
  • Like I said, the pitchforks are out. I’m sure the AA heard from the fans in the seats that they didn’t like the (rumored) Whiz hire.
  • Whiz announces he’s not interested in the job.
  • In the meantime, a couple of other jobs have come open and hired their coaches.
  • Interviews restart. A few names seem to pull out of the process. Key is one of the names bandied about.
  • Collins negotiations start
  • Collins hired. Starts arranging what looks like a good coaching staff, although some want a different OC.
  • Collins is first choice for a few fans (back to O’Leary days). Most think he’s a fine second choice if their first wasn’t going to take the job
Well … no other option that fit what the "Big Money" wanted. We had several good - heh, heh - options that were simply ignored.
Other than Monken, who are these people? At the time, there weren’t many names coming up. You’d have to think that some of the issue was lack of interest.

No real information, just a deduction. You have a TO team that has been successful winning 9, then 5, then 7 games in the last three years. That team's coach has just retired. There were several coaches in his coaching tree or who ran teams with a TO emphasis that might very well have been interested if they were asked.

They weren't asked.

My deduction = nobody who affected the decision was interested in pursuing them. My further deduction = they weren't pursued because the AD was pressured not to do so by large donors to the program. And, of course, there had been a substantial faction of the fans who had always wanted to ditch the TO and all its works.

There have been murder convictions based on less.

Ken Niumatalolo doesn’t seem to be leaving Navy for Tech—or very many other places other than maybe out in Utah. Bohannon isn’t even at a G5 school. If you’re going to pluck from the CPJ tree, Monken or Niumatalolo are your top choices, and Monken was the one who’d been winning lately and, as I mentioned, Niumatalolo doesn’t really seem to be interested in moving.

If you’re interested in continuing the Flexbone, Monken is almost the only option. Reports were that he was interested. However:
  • Johnson was the master of the Flexbone, and the last few years have been declining. Would one of his students do better than him? If not, why bother?
  • The other coaches are either in service academies or lower divisions. Recruiting is still a big question at a P5 school
  • Monken and Niumatalolo both had better defenses that CPJ, so it’s possible to have a good defense with the Flexbone.
A lot of the energy of the fan base had been sapped the last few years. It wasn’t just the $$$ donors who wanted a change.

I would have liked Monken, but I also think that would have slashed our fan base to just the Flexbone fans. So, yeah, I’d be watching.

Monken was the only real Flexbone coach in the mix, so there’s one coach who may not have been pursued. And he’s clearly a good coach. Who are the others?
I also remember quite a few people on this board pulling for Brian Bohannon and Jeff Monken. I wonder if they were ever on TStan’s list or they were just hopefuls for CPJ/3O supporters on GTSwarm. Well, I guess we will all get to see BB in action at Bobby Dodd on Saturday.
I think Monken was on the edge of his list, but every AD had been getting an earful for years. Also, Stansbury’s mission was to grow the fan base and re-energize the program. A new Flexbone coach wouldn’t have done that.

Fair enough. I can see Year 5. However, seven years still is a lot. That’s two whole seasons that wasn’t necessary to give a somewhat unproven coach.

I’m not saying your sources are wrong, but I also feel like that is just an excuse from The Money, TS or both. There were definitely other options. There are plenty of coaches who would kill for an opportunity to coach a Power 5 school. Now, how many of those did we actually want? Sure, that’s a different answer, but a good negotiator would have used such things to bring Collins down to five. The seven year contract made a lot people squeamish, even plenty of those who liked the hire overall.
The minimum you’re seeing in a contract for a new P5 coach hire is 5 years. Most fans thought 7 was excessive, but it’s two years extra, not an extra 6-7 years. Maybe a great negotiator talks him down to 6, but the important parts are the guarantees and not the length.
Regarding the other options, WHO were they? WHO was interested in Tech at that time that you knew about in 2019?
Coastal Carolina’s HC became their HC in 2019. He looks great now, but who had him on their radar in 2019?
Rhule was getting ready for his jump to the NFL.
Scott Frost went to Nebraska the year before. Were we getting UCF’s coach?
There weren’t many names being discussed on this board in 2019.

Whisenhunt was interviewed.
He was not offered the job.
The folks doing the interview knew in the middle of it that he wasn't going to be the guy.

It’s interesting that a superbowl-winning OC wasn’t the guy for his alma mater. I don’t think he was going to fit, but it’s kind of surprising on the face of it.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Some people have given information that they got from people at or associated with the AA. I’ll recap the exterior (fan-facing) hiring timeline from three years ago:
  • Paul Johnson announces he’s retiring with plenty of games left in the season
  • Some fans wonder whether he was pushed out. Most seem to be wondering who the next coach will be
  • Few, if any, head coaching positions are open. Several sportswriters write that this is a good time to get a new coach.
  • The AA starts a very quiet and close-to-the-vest search. Not much information is leaking.
  • A small group of potential coaches start appearing. It’s not many—Whiz, Collins, Elliot, Monken.
  • Louisville fires their coach and almost immediately hires Satterfield. No indication that Satterfield ever had interest in Tech
  • Somewhere around here, interviews start.
  • Suguira and others announce on social media that Whiz has been offered the job. The GTAA doesn’t really deny it, and doesn’t say much.
  • This board is probably calmer than most (i.e. we’re hopping mad, but other places are even worse), and the pitchforks are out. Most people are highly upset, think that it’s “Chan 2.0” and that football will be boring on the Flats again.
  • I think it’s about this time that Elliot pulls his name out of the hat, although it’s not clear how much it was in the hat
  • Like I said, the pitchforks are out. I’m sure the AA heard from the fans in the seats that they didn’t like the (rumored) Whiz hire.
  • Whiz announces he’s not interested in the job.
  • In the meantime, a couple of other jobs have come open and hired their coaches.
  • Interviews restart. A few names seem to pull out of the process. Key is one of the names bandied about.
  • Collins negotiations start
  • Collins hired. Starts arranging what looks like a good coaching staff, although some want a different OC.
  • Collins is first choice for a few fans (back to O’Leary days). Most think he’s a fine second choice if their first wasn’t going to take the job

Other than Monken, who are these people? At the time, there weren’t many names coming up. You’d have to think that some of the issue was lack of interest.

Ken Niumatalolo doesn’t seem to be leaving Navy for Tech—or very many other places other than maybe out in Utah. Bohannon isn’t even at a G5 school. If you’re going to pluck from the CPJ tree, Monken or Niumatalolo are your top choices, and Monken was the one who’d been winning lately and, as I mentioned, Niumatalolo doesn’t really seem to be interested in moving.

If you’re interested in continuing the Flexbone, Monken is almost the only option. Reports were that he was interested. However:
  • Johnson was the master of the Flexbone, and the last few years have been declining. Would one of his students do better than him? If not, why bother?
  • The other coaches are either in service academies or lower divisions. Recruiting is still a big question at a P5 school
  • Monken and Niumatalolo both had better defenses that CPJ, so it’s possible to have a good defense with the Flexbone.
A lot of the energy of the fan base had been sapped the last few years. It wasn’t just the $$$ donors who wanted a change.

I would have liked Monken, but I also think that would have slashed our fan base to just the Flexbone fans. So, yeah, I’d be watching.

Monken was the only real Flexbone coach in the mix, so there’s one coach who may not have been pursued. And he’s clearly a good coach. Who are the others?

I think Monken was on the edge of his list, but every AD had been getting an earful for years. Also, Stansbury’s mission was to grow the fan base and re-energize the program. A new Flexbone coach wouldn’t have done that.

The minimum you’re seeing in a contract for a new P5 coach hire is 5 years. Most fans thought 7 was excessive, but it’s two years extra, not an extra 6-7 years. Maybe a great negotiator talks him down to 6, but the important parts are the guarantees and not the length.
Regarding the other options, WHO were they? WHO was interested in Tech at that time that you knew about in 2019?
Coastal Carolina’s HC became their HC in 2019. He looks great now, but who had him on their radar in 2019?
Rhule was getting ready for his jump to the NFL.
Scott Frost went to Nebraska the year before. Were we getting UCF’s coach?
There weren’t many names being discussed on this board in 2019.

It’s interesting that a superbowl-winning OC wasn’t the guy for his alma mater. I don’t think he was going to fit, but it’s kind of surprising on the face of it.
One small correction: CPJ announced his retirement the week after the u[sic]ga game in 2018.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I keep seeing that a LOT. For some reason there's a misnomer that if the creator of an offense can't make it work, one of his disciples won't make it work either.

The thing is, football evolves. There's more to football than just the offense, and running it one way. Monken, Coach Ken, and Bohannon are on record saying they have modified their offense for their situation. Bohannon, though on a lower level, is doing really well. Coach Ken was doing extremely well but seems to have hit a down patch. Monken is probably the best overall coach from the CPJ tree...and I think he has surpassed CPJ in overall coaching. IMO, from a pure coaching standpoint, Monken is probably a top 5 coach in college football today. The fact that no P5 school will hire him tells you the aversion from ADs and big money alumni (who have a bigger hand in coaching decisions than most fans think) have to "the triple option offense". Wherever Monken goes, I think his floor is 7-8 wins, and his ceiling is a conference championship and possible playoff appearance.

If you look at the Air Raid guys, Lincoln Riley has surpassed Leach. Art Briles, until he got fired in shame from Baylor, surpassed Mike Leach...Briles really took Leach's concepts to another level by adding a legitimate run game (probably the closest thing to a Flex/Air Raid combo we've seen).

You see it with coaches from other coaching trees. They evolve from what they learned from "the master" and they tailor it to their situation. Some take off, others not so much. It's just a mistake to say "If the Grand Master can't do it, why do you think his student will do better?" Each "student" is different. Just remember guys like Einstein, Elon Musk, Hawking, Galileo, etc. were all someone's student to start.

Also, I'd like to add. I get why Monken was a no go at GT. However, I think he would have won BIG here. I do think Monken would NOT have come to GT though given what happened with CPJ (lots to that story) and the aversion to the "triple option" once CPJ decided to step away from coaching.

slugboy

Staff member
I keep seeing that a LOT. For some reason there's a misnomer that if the creator of an offense can't make it work, one of his disciples won't make it work either.

The thing is, football evolves. There's more to football than just the offense, and running it one way. Monken, Coach Ken, and Bohannon are on record saying they have modified their offense for their situation. Bohannon, though on a lower level, is doing really well. Coach Ken was doing extremely well but seems to have hit a down patch. Monken is probably the best overall coach from the CPJ tree...and I think he has surpassed CPJ in overall coaching. IMO, from a pure coaching standpoint, Monken is probably a top 5 coach in college football today. The fact that no P5 school will hire him tells you the aversion from ADs and big money alumni (who have a bigger hand in coaching decisions than most fans think) have to "the triple option offense". Wherever Monken goes, I think his floor is 7-8 wins, and his ceiling is a conference championship and possible playoff appearance.

If you look at the Air Raid guys, Lincoln Riley has surpassed Leach. Art Briles, until he got fired in shame from Baylor, surpassed Mike Leach...Briles really took Leach's concepts to another level by adding a legitimate run game (probably the closest thing to a Flex/Air Raid combo we've seen).

You see it with coaches from other coaching trees. They evolve from what they learned from "the master" and they tailor it to their situation. Some take off, others not so much. It's just a mistake to say "If the Grand Master can't do it, why do you think his student will do better?" Each "student" is different. Just remember guys like Einstein, Elon Musk, Hawking, Galileo, etc. were all someone's student to start.

Also, I'd like to add. I get why Monken was a no go at GT. However, I think he would have won BIG here. I do think Monken would NOT have come to GT though given what happened with CPJ (lots to that story) and the aversion to the "triple option" once CPJ decided to step away from coaching.
I like Monken (and he's even more run-heavy than Johnson was). I was giving some of the PR arguments and hiring thoughts that would come up for the hiring committee and AD.

I also think there are some really bright and innovative coaches out there, but to get to them early either takes luck or a stroke of genius. And, you have to find them early: once a coach has their team in the top tier, why move unless the support and resources are just fantastic?

zzzboy2524

Georgia Tech Fan
“Obviously, going from the Paul Johnson system to any other system, we knew was going to take time,”

I understand the PR need for a public statement of support, especially given fan outrage after such a bad loss, but why oh why bring up Paul Johnson? It is really difficult to get behind Todd and this coaching staff when they continue to make these tacitly disparaging comments about a former head coach whom most of us appreciate and respect.

Todd should realize that it isn’t even the losses that are the most maddening for a lot of fans; it’s the behavior of the staff and the manner in which these games are lost. It shouldn’t take this long to field a competent and disciplined team. And Paul Johnson’s offensive system has nothing to do with the absence of these qualities thus far. To imply otherwise is disingenuous.
These coaches sound like our players have never lined up in a traditional type of offense, Before CPJ, these players knew how to run a split back or any other offense.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The rumor was that Monken wasn't tied to the flexbone in discussions with USCe. According to the reports, he wanted to demonstrate his ability as a P5 HC not as an advocate of any particular offensive or defensive strategy.

I don't know that much about him personally, but I do think that if Monken had come to GT and had success that he would leave quickly to a higher tier team. According to Johnson, he turned down the higher tier offer that he got because he had made a promise to his family to not uproot again until his daughter was out of high school. If not for that promise, he might have been coaching down 85 after only a year or two at GT.

However, I don't know that thinking nostalgically or wishing something else had happened almost three years ago will do anything productive. I don't believe that thinking about who we might can hire after CGC is fired is productive either. He won't be fired anytime soon because of money. IF he is fired at the end of next year, we don't know who might be available and/or interested. It doesn't do any good at the moment.

Right now, the only thing that will help is for this coaching staff to improve and start winning. The GTAA and the fans should support the team and the coaches and try to win. I am not saying that we can't criticize, I myself said that I have never seen a high school team have as much fundamental problems with substitution, play calling, and game management. The fans should still go to games and cheer. The GTAA should still provide all the resources it can to the team. (Instead of actively starving the team in an attempt to get rid of the coach like MBob did.)

FolkHall

Georgia Tech Fan
Anyone who things Tstan is going to throw Collins under the bus in public is crazy especially after game one. That's not a good look for him or the school . All tstan is going to do is express he understands the frustration and then say some stuff on how he is confident in Coach Collins . I don't see tstan as the guy to fire a coach after the first game of the season, even if it was a bad bad loss.

Behind the scenes I would hope though he has had a talk with Coach Collins .

Let the season ride out, as disappointed as I was with this game, I highly doubt Collins is going anywhere for another year. If we lose our, maybe at the end of the year but def not mid season
Game one?????? This was game 23.......

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The rumor was that Monken wasn't tied to the flexbone in discussions with USCe. According to the reports, he wanted to demonstrate his ability as a P5 HC not as an advocate of any particular offensive or defensive strategy.

I don't know that much about him personally, but I do think that if Monken had come to GT and had success that he would leave quickly to a higher tier team.

I don't have a dog in the hunt as they say but would it not be a wise career move for Moncken to switch his offense now to something that has less "bad PR" the system he is currently running. It seems that if I were in his shoes and felt like my coaching philosophies were holding me back professionally I would fix it now rather than hoping to get a chance somewhere up the food chain.

Disclaimer- this is an observation regarding his professional career and is neither an endorsement or criticism of his current system of offense.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I don't have a dog in the hunt as they say but would it not be a wise career move for Moncken to switch his offense now to something that has less "bad PR" the system he is currently running. It seems that if I were in his shoes and felt like my coaching philosophies were holding me back professionally I would fix it now rather than hoping to get a chance somewhere up the food chain.

Disclaimer- this is an observation regarding his professional career and is neither an endorsement or criticism of his current system of offense.
If you are the HC and not the OC, I don't know that it really matters. Saban ran a boring offense that played basically to not make mistakes for a long time. He completely changed recently as offenses started becoming more prolific. I think Leach and/or CPJ could do just fine running a football team as a HC with a different offense. The issue with those two is that they probably wouldn't want to let the OC do his job, they would want to interfere with play calling and nuances. I do think it would have been easier for Monken to change offensive styles at USCe than if he had come to GT. GT would have had to change the physical attributes of the players or change players to run another offense. At USCe, he would have already had the players to run a different offense.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If you are the HC and not the OC, I don't know that it really matters.
Again, if you are associated with a system that has a certain stigma (if you will) it seems proactive career wise to prove that you can be successful running other systems in your CURRENT job. That way you are reducing the risk for an AD who hopes you can make the switch successfully. I think it is proactive and something I would do in his shoes if "moving up" is in his career goals. In the same vein, if I were Tony Elliott I would move to show I could be productive without the trappings, talent, resources, etc. at his disposal at Clemson. Again, that is what I would do and I certainly don't expect everyone to agree with my approach.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Again, if you are associated with a system that has a certain stigma (if you will) it seems proactive career wise to prove that you can be successful running other systems in your CURRENT job. That way you are reducing the risk for an AD who hopes you can make the switch successfully. I think it is proactive and something I would do in his shoes if "moving up" is in his career goals. In the same vein, if I were Tony Elliott I would move to show I could be productive without the trappings, talent, resources, etc. at his disposal at Clemson. Again, that is what I would do and I certainly don't expect everyone to agree with my approach.

I don't think it went well when the service academies ran anything else. Shoot, Air Force runs it and that's not Troy Calhoun's offense at all

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
One small correction: CPJ announced his retirement the week after the u[sic]ga game in 2018.
I was at the UGA game and you could see the frustration in his face and demeanor on the sideline. We were totally outmatched by superior size and speed. It was like he realized it just wasn't working for him anymore. He is a very competitive person and he realized he couldn't compete at the highest levels. He coached for a long time with a lot of successes at different places. He is gone now so time to move on. He did. We have a new guy. He will either succeed or he won't. Time will tell.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't think it went well when the service academies ran anything else. Shoot, Air Force runs it and that's not Troy Calhoun's offense at all

I tend to agree with this. It makes for an inetersting conundrum however. To win there, the sytem seems to work well for them. However, it is increasingly difficult to move on from those jobs. So it may be the last coaching stop for a coach (and some probably are fine with that). While we have more details than outsiders, I would venture to say our struggles have reinforced the myth (right or wrong) that the transition away from it is brutal.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

In the interest of sanity, I'm keeping this to my responses, except the last.

1. Moncken was the obvious choice if we wanted to keep the TO, but Fritz was on some people's lists, mine, for instance, at the time (btw, he still is). Bohannon would have taken the job as well and probably still would; several assistants were being talked about. Niumatalolo would have stayed at Navy and still will; he'll retire as their winningest coach ever.

2. Point 1: Isn't it obvious why now? It was just as obvious then. Point 2: That was always the rap. Problem = year of offensive success and a D roster filled with 4 star recruits makes sustaining the argument difficult. And, yes, that's why we hired Ted Roof and kept him. Point 3: True. Paul was unable to match the offer of the one DC h really wanted. Too bad, that.

3. Sooooo … you find the fans united these days? I think these divisions were in the cards and had been for years. If the team was winning, however, the rumblings were kept under control.

4. I think this business about growing the fanbase has always been unrealistic. Tech has a small alum base, many of the students today could care less about going to the games (even at Bama), and the Atlanta market is crowded with multiple sports events. Basketball has a better chance of growing then football, imho. Also, nothing re-energizes a program like winning.

I know this makes me sound like a Paul fanboy, but I'm really not. We can win at Tech with a spread offense.and it does make the people who pay so much attention to recruiting happy. I thought we would have been better off sticking to our last and, like you, I was surprised that Wisenhunt wasn't interested in the job, but all that is over. We have to win with the new direction. But it remains to be seen if that will happen. If is doesn't, we need to rethink.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
. We have to win with the new direction. But it remains to be seen if that will happen. If is doesn't, we need to rethink.
This is guaranteed imo. What we as fans will argue heatedly over is "when' not "if' if things do not right themselves.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I tend to agree with this. It makes for an inetersting conundrum however. To win there, the sytem seems to work well for them. However, it is increasingly difficult to move on from those jobs. So it may be the last coaching stop for a coach (and some probably are fine with that). While we have more details than outsiders, I would venture to say our struggles have reinforced the myth (right or wrong) that the transition away from it is brutal.
As much of a fan of the 3O as I am, I think this is 100% correct. Someone somewhere will try it again for good reason, but they will hesitate based on our experience so far (Right or wrong).

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
4. I think this business about growing the fanbase has always been unrealistic. Tech has a small alum base, many of the students today could care less about going to the games (even at Bama), and the Atlanta market is crowded with multiple sports events. Basketball has a better chance of growing then football, imho. Also, nothing re-energizes a program like winning.
Funny. I had a call with a GT Alum today who is a supplier in our industry. Good guy and externally seems like the kind of guy who might be a fan. I brought up our season so far and he asked “yeah, how are we doing this year ? hows the new coach doing?”. Guy had no idea. Lived in Atlanta post graduation and hadn’t been to a game since he was a student. That’s pretty indicative of a very large amount of our alum network and is a big reason why the stadium expansion was such a bad idea….