The Vote of Confidence is in...

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
Look, I may be way wrong. The consensus of the Board may be right. N. Illinois may be the beginning of the end. However, things can absolutely turn around. We just have better talent across the board due to good recruiting and the transfer portal. In 1989, Bobby Ross was 0-3 against NC State, South Carolina and Virginia, Fans wanted Coach Ross gone. We went 7-4 the rest of the way and beat UGA in Atlanta. The next year 1990 with players like Shawn Jones, William Bell and Marco Coleman --- Tech wins the National Championship. I say you have to have talent to play the long game. The coaches need to pick it up. I am not going to panic. Go Jackets!

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Look, I may be way wrong. The consensus of the Board may be right. N. Illinois may be the beginning of the end. However, things can absolutely turn around. We just have better talent across the board due to good recruiting and the transfer portal. In 1989, Bobby Ross was 0-3 against NC State, South Carolina and Virginia, Fans wanted Coach Ross gone. We went 7-4 the rest of the way and beat UGA in Atlanta. The next year 1990 with players like Shawn Jones, William Bell and Marco Coleman --- Tech wins the National Championship. I say you have to have talent to play the long game. The coaches need to pick it up. I am not going to panic. Go Jackets!

I can guarantee those losses looked a but different. NC state was ranked 25,. we lost 28-38, Virginia was 10-17 and SC was 10-21at the end of the season UVA was 10-3 NC state turned out to not be as good but no team we lost to that year had a losing record (duke came in second in the conference)
Of the teams we beat that year the only team with a winning record was Clemson which was a nice upset. (clemson finished ranked 12)
Georgia was 6-6 and lost the peach bowl.

That season is well... lets just say doubtful Collins will have the same luck with opponents. We just lost to one of those teams we are suppose to beat. Clemson will be ranked when we play them. Uga will eb ranked, VT will probably be ranked.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
But you could see the fire in Ross. The determination, the coaching, the intangibles that I can’t see in this regime.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
If TStan has said this in corporate, he would have been fired. You are expected to deliver. This is the problem with GT ... there are no consequences for bad performance.
That's funny, I was just thinking that this is peak corporate world. Find a scapegoat, but make failing just as lucrative as succeeding, and have contracts that incentive things destructive to the organization.

I think you and I live in fundamentally different eras, and not just in football. I don't know whether I'm more jealous of the football environment at Tech or the corporate world you saw.

LibertyTurns

Banned
That's funny, I was just thinking that this is peak corporate world. Find a scapegoat, but make failing just as lucrative as succeeding, and have contracts that incentive things destructive to the organization.

I think you and I live in fundamentally different eras, and not just in football. I don't know whether I'm more jealous of the football environment at Tech or the corporate world you saw.
Maybe we’re just symptomatic of the world we live it now? GT used to be different from the others.

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
del-griffith-oh-sure-sure.gif

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I feel a little better after hearing the coordinators talk. However, if the comparison is to the Bobby Ross teams, I don't recall that team having so many issues with fundamentals. I do not remember feeling like the teams in the late 80s were treating a live game as though it was a scrimmage. During the Citadel game, I felt as though GT was practicing instead of playing. Even when losing, it appeared to me that GT was trying to test out new plays instead of continuing to run plays that were working. In the NIU game, the substitutions and the speed of getting the play call in were the worst I have seen in a football game. I have seen terrible high school football teams, but I don't remember ever seeing a high school team have that much trouble with those issues. Several posters have asked if the team had even practiced substitutions and play calling against a play clock. During the game, I wondered the same thing.

My biggest concerns are not that the QBs missed some TD throws, that the OL had some miscues on blocking, nor that the secondary gave up some big plays on confusion. My biggest concern about coaching is that the team went thru Spring practice and fall camp, yet we don't even have a system in place to rotate defensive players effectively, a system to get the play call in on defense fast enough, nor at least on one occasion a system to get the offensive play call in fast enough. If the team had been efficient at fundamentals, but lost because players made some mistakes, I would still be upset but I wouldn't have this much concern about the program in general.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Anyone who things Tstan is going to throw Collins under the bus in public is crazy especially after game one. That's not a good look for him or the school . All tstan is going to do is express he understands the frustration and then say some stuff on how he is confident in Coach Collins . I don't see tstan as the guy to fire a coach after the first game of the season, even if it was a bad bad loss.

Behind the scenes I would hope though he has had a talk with Coach Collins .

Let the season ride out, as disappointed as I was with this game, I highly doubt Collins is going anywhere for another year. If we lose our, maybe at the end of the year but def not mid season

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
“Obviously, going from the Paul Johnson system to any other system, we knew was going to take time,”

I understand the PR need for a public statement of support, especially given fan outrage after such a bad loss, but why oh why bring up Paul Johnson? It is really difficult to get behind Todd and this coaching staff when they continue to make these tacitly disparaging comments about a former head coach whom most of us appreciate and respect.

Todd should realize that it isn’t even the losses that are the most maddening for a lot of fans; it’s the behavior of the staff and the manner in which these games are lost. It shouldn’t take this long to field a competent and disciplined team. And Paul Johnson’s offensive system has nothing to do with the absence of these qualities thus far. To imply otherwise is disingenuous.
And of course as many have said - transitioning from CPJ and 3O has nothing to do with the defense. How that’s is relevant to our secondary being in a state of confusion on a final drive or getting no pressure on a MAC bottom feeding OL can’t be hung on the transition. That’s for CGC.
Good grief

slugboy

Staff member
If TStan has said this in corporate, he would have been fired. You are expected to deliver. This is the problem with GT ... there are no consequences for bad performance.

There is “big corporate” and there is “small corporate”. In small corporate, you’re largely making your own talking points. In large corporate, your PR/corporate communications people are writing your talking points out. The GTAA has media relations people, but we’re probably somewhere in between the big and small corporate as far as our media relations are concerned. We should have had clear talking points for this question, especially going on 680 for a planned conversation. You should have rehearsed it a couple of times.
I’m not sure if we didn’t have anything clear written up, or if we had exactly what Stansbury said, or if Stansbury elaborated on his talking points (you shouldn’t elaborate).
This statement is also a side item. He’s talked to our money people. They want winning to start now. They care far more about the rest of the season and our NIU game than they care about what nobody heard on 680. He can’t worry about sunk costs—he has Collins as his HC and he has X amount of undesignated funds to work with and maybe he has a (virtual) rolodex and some other options—his focus should be on how to get the best results from where we are right now with an accurate inventory of our assets.

{I still have a Rolodex—it’s like an antique now}

I was interviewed once for an article. When I read the article, I was amazed at how wrong everything was…even my “quotes.” I’d take this with a grain of salt. Bottom line: he should publicly support his coach. Behind the scenes may be a different story.

Same thing happened to me. In fact the story had exactly the opposite tilt I had given in my talk. The reporter took bad notes and just made stuff up. Now I always have a handout transcript ready.

That’s one reason I should listen to the interview an hear what he said in context.
Generally speaking, the thornier the question you’re answering, the shorter your answer should be. Not a one-word answer, but the more you say, the more ambiguity you add, and the more room you add for misinterpretations. So, keep it short and crisp.

I feel a little better after hearing the coordinators talk. However, if the comparison is to the Bobby Ross teams, I don't recall that team having so many issues with fundamentals. I do not remember feeling like the teams in the late 80s were treating a live game as though it was a scrimmage. During the Citadel game, I felt as though GT was practicing instead of playing. Even when losing, it appeared to me that GT was trying to test out new plays instead of continuing to run plays that were working. In the NIU game, the substitutions and the speed of getting the play call in were the worst I have seen in a football game. I have seen terrible high school football teams, but I don't remember ever seeing a high school team have that much trouble with those issues. Several posters have asked if the team had even practiced substitutions and play calling against a play clock. During the game, I wondered the same thing.

My biggest concerns are not that the QBs missed some TD throws, that the OL had some miscues on blocking, nor that the secondary gave up some big plays on confusion. My biggest concern about coaching is that the team went thru Spring practice and fall camp, yet we don't even have a system in place to rotate defensive players effectively, a system to get the play call in on defense fast enough, nor at least on one occasion a system to get the offensive play call in fast enough. If the team had been efficient at fundamentals, but lost because players made some mistakes, I would still be upset but I wouldn't have this much concern about the program in general.

I think how we practice has something to do with this. Having fun, having the DJ, getting the players engaged shouldn’t be totally incompatible with lining up quickly, getting quick reps in, and learning disciplined playing practices.

This team has most of the players who lost to The Citadel and to Syracuse. We’ve had two seasons of more losses than wins. I don’t understand how you don’t come out against a team like NIU with your hair on fire looking for a win.

To their credit, I think the receivers did—they just didn’t get the ball enough until the second half.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
This team has most of the players who lost to The Citadel and to Syracuse. We’ve had two seasons of more losses than wins. I don’t understand how you don’t come out against a team like NIU with your hair on fire looking for a win.
I am hoping that they do come out breathing fire on Saturday. Win or lose against KSU, if the team looks like they are only playing a scrimmage game, it will look really, really bad for the program. It might only be perception, but I want the perception to be a hungry and efficient team.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You express what I hope for.

Here is what concerns me. I WAS NOT SURPRISED when the 1989 season turned around. Seriously. The only thing that baffled me was why we stumbled initially out of the gate. That and why fans were so impatient.

The reason I felt that way at the time was that even in 1988 I could see that this team was being well coached. And I could easily name you 5 things the coaching staff was already doing well by then.

I still would like to be wrong about this season and wrong about how poorly the coaching of this team has appeared to me.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Anyone who things Tstan is going to throw Collins under the bus in public is crazy especially after game one. That's not a good look for him or the school . All tstan is going to do is express he understands the frustration and then say some stuff on how he is confident in Coach Collins . I don't see tstan as the guy to fire a coach after the first game of the season, even if it was a bad bad loss.

Behind the scenes I would hope though he has had a talk with Coach Collins .

Let the season ride out, as disappointed as I was with this game, I highly doubt Collins is going anywhere for another year. If we lose our, maybe at the end of the year but def not mid season
No, he won't do it publicly. But, he should have a set of deliverables for Year 3; e.g., win X games, X ranked recruiting class, X viewership (attendance), X fan satisfaction, etc.

I know several SEC AD's that meet with their head coach every Sunday morning after a game. For the greatest transformation in the history of the planet, I hope TStan is not disengaged from the process. He needs to be demanding milestones to be met.

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow
And of course as many have said - transitioning from CPJ and 3O has nothing to do with the defense. How that’s is relevant to our secondary being in a state of confusion on a final drive or getting no pressure on a MAC bottom feeding OL can’t be hung on the transition. That’s for CGC.
Good grief
And, don't forget about that 3O FG unit CPJ was trotting out there.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Ross was an accomplished coach before he came to the Flats. I recall that he quipped that had he known how bad it was, he wouldn't have taken the job. Still, he COACHED the team ... and that is what I see as the biggest difference.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
We have talent, but the biggest difference between 1989 and now is the coaching.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
This is the year.. no more excuses. He said himself at the weekly press conference that there are very few guys from CPJ recruiting.

I'm judging him this year. Year 3 needs to be it. Need some improvements over this season.
Yeah, his rocky little honeymoon is over.