The Vote of Confidence is in...

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Based on what?
No real information, just a deduction. You have a TO team that has been successful winning 9, then 5, then 7 games in the last three years. That team's coach has just retired. There were several coaches in his coaching tree or who ran teams with a TO emphasis that might very well have been interested if they were asked.

They weren't asked.

My deduction = nobody who affected the decision was interested in pursuing them. My further deduction = they weren't pursued because the AD was pressured not to do so by large donors to the program. And, of course, there had been a substantial faction of the fans who had always wanted to ditch the TO and all its works.

There have been murder convictions based on less.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
A good AD should have a list ranked 1-10 for replacements if any coach resigns or is fired. He knows enough people from other schools to have a really good idea of the up and comers.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I thought you said after Whisenhunt was offered (due to the influence of the Big $$), that Elliot saw the writing on the wall and by the time Whisenhunt turned us down he had lost interest. Maybe I got that wrong. But I think the main point is that if he submitted a resume, he was interested at one point and there was a possibility he would have come here.

I think we missed our chance to get a very good HC. Just my opinion. A guy who had the best grades on the football team in Engineering and earned a scholarship after walking on has got to have a lot of moxie and intelligence.
I could be wrong but I don't think we even interviewed him. Not sure why ( Elliot)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I hesitated more than once to reply on this, but what the hell..

We can all recognize this exact scenario has played (is playing) out at the national level with far more life consequence.
[And I would submit from one sideline more so than the other]

But this to say: this is not an anomaly. It is not a matter of stupidity, but that there is entrenchment no matter what and excuses and reasons every step of the way. We are witnessing a microcosm of the real world, including the obligatory and templated stamp of approval, from the powers that be. But it becomes really messy and divisive to try to affect things one has little control over.
But don’t over think it. The replacement can be better. The give away is usually found in whether the new approach is endorsed by the majority or not.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Can someone enlighten me as to the meaning of transition when used in general speech.

The way I understand it is if we are transitioning away from a scheme, that implies we are gradually moving away from it. This implies that it will take a while for the change to be complete.

I have heard many times, however, that this staff has decided to rip the band-aid off. Dive right into the new schemes. This implies a sharper change, but quicker turn around.

That being said, I don't like hearing the transition excuse for the reason as to why this has gone so poorly.

I will grant that this team is young. There are also many transfers who have recently came into the program. These things can lead to some of the disorganization we saw this past weekend (not saying this explains it all). That's the better excuse in my opinion. That is also the reason I have some hope for a season turn around. Just stop telling me the transition excuse.

Its not the transition and I highly doubt it is the roster or transfers. Its the lack of teaching, the non discipline, lack or preparation, lack of organization/communication, slow and poor decision making on game day, and too much focus on the wrong things....all coaching issues.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
There were newspaper and other media reports that Whisenhunt had been offered the job. There was a fan backlash. Ken turned us down after the backlash.
The timing might be related, or not.
It should not be hard to find it through Google
Whisenhunt was interviewed.
He was not offered the job.
The folks doing the interview knew in the middle of it that he wasn't going to be the guy.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
So that means that at some point CGC was clearly the #1 choice. If we offered him a 5 yr deal and he (is his agent) said no and then we went to 7, them we were negotiating against ourselves. There was no other party in play. If wr stick to our guns I can’t imagine CGC turns it down - but we didn’t. And that my friends is the rest of the story

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
During the ACC Road Trip on ACC Network, it became clear TS was going to go away from the option once PJ had coached his last game at Tech, whenever that was going to be.
I'm pretty sure PJ knew that was going to be the case from talking to Stansbury about his decision to ride off into the sunset.

School still needs to do something to recognize PJ. No, I ain't talking about a statue. But dude took us to 3 ACCCGs, 2 Orange Bowls. He did it without anybody getting arrested and without guys skipping class.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
So that means that at some point CGC was clearly the #1 choice. If we offered him a 5 yr deal and he (is his agent) said no and then we went to 7, them we were negotiating against ourselves. There was no other party in play. If wr stick to our guns I can’t imagine CGC turns it down - but we didn’t. And that my friends is the rest of the story
To my knowledge, the only two interviews conducted were with Whisenhunt and with Collins.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
During the ACC Road Trip on ACC Network, it became clear TS was going to go away from the option once PJ had coached his last game at Tech, whenever that was going to be.
I'm pretty sure PJ knew that was going to be the case from talking to Stansbury about his decision to ride off into the sunset.

School still needs to do something to recognize PJ. No, I ain't talking about a statue. But dude took us to 3 ACCCGs, 2 Orange Bowls. He did it without anybody getting arrested and without guys skipping class.

I think a Paul Johnson night at BDS will be totally appropriate at some point, probably when we are winning and not so divided.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I think a Paul Johnson night at BDS will be totally appropriate at some point, probably when we are winning and not so divided.
My sources tell me he is moving to Arizona at some point, perhaps soon. His house in the Atlanta area is up for sale, from what I hear.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

Was this because TStan wanted to do that, or donor pressure to do so, or both?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Don't get me wrong, Elliott was my first choice as well. It's hard to report on here sometimes without getting my conjecture intertwined. All I can say factually is that GT did contact him, but it didn't go very far very before Elliott pretty much removed himself from consideration. My opinion is that he did see the writing on the wall and quietly asked his name to be removed so as not to seem passed over. But that last part is opinion. For whatever reason, it was shortly after Whiz that CGC became the odds on favorite.

Edit to add that several, not all, big $$ boosters were very high on Whiz.

I've been told that CGC had a lot of backers, and one of them was O'Leary. O'Leary still has a LOT of GT friends....and by friends, I mean a lot of GT people who give a LOT of money to GT. From what I understand, O'Leary played a big role with CGC getting the job over other candidates. If you look at our staff, there's a lot of ties to O'Leary. If you remember when CGC was first hired, you saw and heard a lot from O'Leary...makes sense now. There were a lot of people who wanted someone with GT ties, especially ties to the Ross/O'Leary era. Also remember, Todd Stansbury and CGC crossed paths several times in their career, and O'Leary and Stansbury know each other very well from GT and UCF days.

Tony Elliott was VERY interested in GT, but from what I've been told he was never treated as a serious candidate. Elliott could read between the lines and he just dropped his pursuit of our job. He didn't quit his pursuit because he didn't want the GT job, he quit because GT never really wanted him and he knew it.

There were several camps that wanted "their guy". The O'Leary/CGC camp won. There was never a serious consideration for anyone with ties to CPJ or anyone with his spread option pedigree.

All of that is 2nd/3rd hand so take it with a grain of salt...but I do respect the few people that told me that.

Hindsight is 20/20. IMO, CGC did have a respectable resume and the big advantage CGC had was he was here when we were recruiting well and he had O'Leary's blessing. His pedigree and success in the SEC ('Bama, Florida, Miss State) impressed a lot of people. Some may disagree, but CGC could still turn this around. As each game goes by, I find it difficult to believe myself considering how fundamentally bad we are in several areas, but when you can recruit like CGC, I'm really holding out hope (in vain?) that it's going to work out eventually.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
As for everything except game management, game winning, and game week prep, CGC has exceeded expectations. He needs those 3 to keep his job.