The unsportsmanlike penalties and targeting at last weeks game

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I am 59.....and feel just the opposite.....my head coach that would not tolerate it. It was a quick way to get benched.

So your coach would get mad when you hit someone hard, play so hard you drew your own blood and you yelled after a nice hit ? hummm. I would understand if you were dirty or started fights but being intense apparently is out of style. Guess the days of Butkus, Lambert and Jones are over forever.

Animal02

Banned
So your coach would get mad when you hit someone hard, play so hard you drew your own blood and you yelled after a nice hit ? hummm. I would understand if you were dirty or started fights but being intense apparently is out of style. Guess the days of Butkus, Lambert and Jones are over forever.
No..the trash talk / taunting. It was "act like you've done it before.....used to say if the opponents were trash talking, to point at the score board,. and if you could not do that, then you better start playing harder.
BTW.....I will admit I did play a bit dirty.....used to leg whip D players.....never did get caught. :whistle:

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
No..the trash talk / taunting. It was "act like you've done it before.....used to say if the opponents were trash talking, to point at the score board,. and if you could not do that, then you better start playing harder.
BTW.....I will admit I did play a bit dirty.....used to leg whip D players.....never did get caught. :whistle:

I bet your pinched people and poked eyes at the bottom of the pile too (shaking head in sad disappointment)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don’t think any of the true freshman got penalties. Open to being wrong.

Pretty sure they were all CPJs guys coached by CPJ for a majority of their careers at Tech. It’s about culture change, not reverting back to the old ways.

It’s amazing those things didn’t happen while CPJ was here then.......

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think there is a difference in perspective based on age. To me and my older mindset (post 50) playing hard includes hitting hard, talking crap and drawing blood, preferably my own to be truthful. Talking sh*t is part of the game to me. I also believe it stays on the field, hanging out with or being friends with the other team is cool ---after the season !

To me standing over someone after a big defensive play and yelling/screaming or posing is the very essence of the game. It makes it exciting and it's very masculine, the very theme of male prowess. It gets stopped when the over team shuts you up. Not when someone feelings get hurt and a ref takes up for them.

Jawing between players happens every game. What Tech was penalized for last week repeatedly crossed a line. One almost everyone here would be up in arms if the Citadel had done the same and not been penalized. We crossed a line. CGC himself acknowledged that.

I talk crap to my friends all the time. What happens when strangers talk crap to each other? You know all too well. What typically causes mass brawls between teams when they occur? You really want to promote that?

Give me money down all day long over the unsportsmanlike penalty garbage. If that’s our new culture I’ll be following other programs. I seriously doubt CGC will allow it to continue.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Just watched the replay real quick.

1st Unsportsmanlike: Oliver kind of stood over the Citadel player and you can see he said something to him. IMO ticky tacky call depending on what was said.

2nd Unsportsmanlike: Martin and Brooks both get in the Citadel QBs face after Curry sacked him. Not smart.

3rd Unsportsmanlike: Not shown on TV, but you can see CGC is furious at one of our players (Chimedza I assume) as we are running off the field. I assume from CGCs reaction that it wasn't a bad call.

This is pretty accurate from my three viewings on tape. The first one was questionable. The other two were legit. The second one was really stupid on the part of our players. The late hit call was out of the range of the camera. It should be noted that this was a Southern Conference crew and they were pretty quick with the flags. Our guys should have picked that up from the get go. IIWII

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Football is for action. Talking is for the announcers. I would be happy to watch real football where there is no taunting allowed. It has no place on the football field. It is just another sigh of our degenerating culture. Collins to survive has to fix this now.

I am kind of tired of the talking and yammering back and forth myself. I see defensive players celebrating making a tackle. Really? For our team, less talking more showing is definitely in order. Then you can dance, talk, and carry on all you want.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It most certainly did, especially the dancing by the defense after a 7 yard gain or something similar.

Attaochu punching QB in face comes to mind.
And most GT fans were pissed as hell about it and it was an anomaly. It cost us a very important game. This last episode just made us look like idiots. (and cost us a game, importance is debateable.) What folks worry about with the recent events is that is not an anomaly, but a trend.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
To me standing over someone after a big defensive play and yelling/screaming or posing is the very essence of the game. It makes it exciting and it's very masculine, the very theme of male prowess. It gets stopped when the over team shuts you up. Not when someone feelings get hurt and a ref takes up for them.
Oh, like when David Curry stood over and glared at a mediocre FCS qb (I thought he was gonna pound his chest like Tarzan) after a very average tackle only to have the very same mediocre FCS qb run for a first down on the very next play. Ok, I get it.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
And.....how was that handled?????
We also don't know yet how last game was handled. Are you willing to accept the # of unsportsmanlike penalties in the next game @ Temple as indicative of the new culture as well? How about the first two games of the year?

One game does not define a culture. To me the "new culture" hand grenades appear to be confirmation bias, unless someone produces data around unsportsmanlike penalties at Temple relative to other teams. It might exist, but no one has provided it.

I am not joking when I say this... Speaking to penalties more generally... I was hopeful a culture had already developed after the first two games, one where we were #2 in the country in fewest penalties/game. I was as ecstatic about that as I was disappointed about the lack of composure vs. The Citadel. We had reasons for frustration in the first two games, neither of which led to the dead ball ridiculousness that we saw vs. The Citadel.

I expect the coaches have addressed the nonsense already and we won't see it @ Temple. If not, I will be concerned.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
At least one of these unsportsmanlike calls was bull**** from what I could see. Not making excuses, but the officials did a piss poor job.

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
At least one of this unsportsmanlike calls was bull**** from what I could see. Not making excuses, but the officials did a piss poor job.
If that was the only one, I doubt we'd be seeing the uproar. I'm much more concerned with why we can't move the ball or stop the ball against a FCS bottom feeder.