The unsportsmanlike penalties and targeting at last weeks game

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I was at the game, in the SW corner, didn’t really get a good view (or a replay) of the penalties that our DEF guys kept getting. We’re they legit? And does anyone have video clips of them?

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I was at the game, in the SW corner, didn’t really get a good view (or a replay) of the penalties that our DEF guys kept getting. We’re they legit? And does anyone have video clips of them?

It’s hardly worth complaining about as it wasn’t the issue that lost us the game. And I can’t remember each one and what it was for right now. But it was hard to believe that flags came out from what I was seeing on the screen. Normal trash talk for a game at this level. Nothing excessive IMO. Think one was a late hit that wasn’t all that late either.

Hard to believe one of the least penalized teams in the country over the first two weeks suddenly crumbles completely against an FCS team.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
If IRC, CGC said something about the guys being frustrated about low blocks, and they were reacting and saying stuff. I could be wrong, but that is what I remember.

But, it DID cost us. At least twice, drives were extended because of these penalties occurring on 3rd downs where we had gotten the stop.

Can't believe they were not prepared mentally and emotionally for that, since most had seen it first hand in practice the last few years.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
That's the way you play against a rival, not FCS Citadel. Why didn't they have the cajones to play like that against Clemson? 404 culture, I guess.

We did play like that against Clemson. Obviously when we weren't making plays they didn't, but in the first half there was plenty of the same emotion that the refs, and apparently some of our fans, just want to kill off.

To the topic, the first two were bunk calls to things that happen in every game. The third one was apparently a late hit away from the ball that I never got to see a replay for so can't say.

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't have a clip and not really wanting to watch the game again searching for it, but I remember seeing on the screen a quick glimpse in one of those pileups of a GT player reaching towards a Citadel player with what started looking like a grab but ended with a closed fist. Although it wasn't one of the calls, it definitely was a dirty play that contributed to the toxic atmosphere.

GT_EE78

Banned
I don't see a video on GT bob page.
couldn't find the full game on youtube
i'd like to see those deadball fouls too
don't remember replays during the game if any ......

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I couldn't see the taunting penalties from the stands. I did see the late hit, but it was out of the corner of my eye and wasn't sure about the timing.

There was also a tackle by Curry after which he was looking down apparently screaming at the player and stepped over him while looking down apparently screaming. I was surprised they didn't call a penalty on that one.

wgardiner3

Jolly Good Fellow
Just watched the replay real quick.

1st Unsportsmanlike: Oliver kind of stood over the Citadel player and you can see he said something to him. IMO ticky tacky call depending on what was said.

2nd Unsportsmanlike: Martin and Brooks both get in the Citadel QBs face after Curry sacked him. Not smart.

3rd Unsportsmanlike: Not shown on TV, but you can see CGC is furious at one of our players (Chimedza I assume) as we are running off the field. I assume from CGCs reaction that it wasn't a bad call.

GT_EE78

Banned

1st Unsportsmanlike: Oliver kind of stood over the Citadel player and you can see he said something to him. IMO ticky tacky call depending on what was said.

2nd Unsportsmanlike: Martin and Brooks both get in the Citadel QBs face after Curry sacked him. Not smart.

3rd Unsportsmanlike: Not shown on TV, but you can see CGC is furious at one of our players (Chimedza I assume) as we are running off the field. I assume from CGCs reaction that it wasn't a bad call.
where did u find a replay? Link?

GT_EE78

Banned
I have it recorded on my YouTube TV DVR. Looks like it is scheduled to rerun at midnight on Fox Sports South if you want to set your DVR.
Dang,missed it. I fell asleep watching "The Last Alaskans"... was thinking that waking up to hike a mile,shoot the bear who's trying to eat you, cut a hole in 3 feet of ice in order to fetch the water for morning coffee has to be worse that being a GT fan right now. That show always cheers me up.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer

It’s pretty much a guarantee to get a penalty when you stand/lean over someone. The second he did it, I screamed obscenities because I knew what was about to happen.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This is the kind of stuff da U was infamous for in the JJ days. The taunting penalty was put in specifically to stop things like Oliver did. The calls were justified. When you get one blatant incident, you almost have to call the next one, even if it isn't quite so bad. Games get out of control unless the refs take responsibility.

And, yes, it is unsportsmanlike. The penalty has been on the books since … well, football started.