The unsportsmanlike penalties and targeting at last weeks game

alagold

Helluva Engineer
It is sad that we reacted like that for this. adversity.I have to wonder if the bs bravado and dancing on sidelines didn't lead to some of that.Just take care of business.!

I think Kalib got a penalty for extended crap because he was frustrated when he sat back and watched their QB lunge for that first down in the beginning.It told me we didn't respect or expect them to give that effort.THAT is ALL on the coaches.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If IRC, CGC said something about the guys being frustrated about low blocks, and they were reacting and saying stuff. I could be wrong, but that is what I remember.

But, it DID cost us. At least twice, drives were extended because of these penalties occurring on 3rd downs where we had gotten the stop.

Can't believe they were not prepared mentally and emotionally for that, since most had seen it first hand in practice the last few years.

Everyone in football cut blocks. I hope we have not suddenly become one of “those teams” we used to ridicule for their behavior after getting cut.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
The same “chippiness” that was displayed during the Clemson and USF games went on during the Citadel game. The refs weren’t with it and the players didn’t adjust.

Animal02

Banned
Football is for action. Talking is for the announcers. I would be happy to watch real football where there is no taunting allowed. It has no place on the football field. It is just another sigh of our degenerating culture. Collins to survive has to fix this now.
I would like it to be a penalty for a player to motion for a penalty flag. Seems like every pass play it happens.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
It is sad that we reacted like that for this. adversity.I have to wonder if the bs bravado and dancing on sidelines didn't lead to some of that.Just take care of business.!

I think Kalib got a penalty for extended crap because he was frustrated when he sat back and watched their QB lunge for that first down in the beginning.It told me we didn't respect or expect them to give that effort.THAT is ALL on the coaches.

A coach cannot make a player respect their opponent.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
A coach cannot make a player respect their opponent.

I think a little differently, but even saying you’re correct, a coach CAN still pull said player out of the game. The coach determines who is on the field. The coach(es) also work with these players day in, day out, and should possess the ability to get a good read on players’ characters, and maybe have some foresight into whether the players would have a tendency to do that (respect their opponents). But, if coaches promote and foster a culture of showboating, dancing, etc, you just might also indirectly foster a culture of taunting and the like.

Your perspective is interesting to me. The more I read of your posts, the more I wonder why teams even need coaches? In your opinion, what do coaches even do or what purpose do they serve?

Animal02

Banned
I think a little differently, but even saying you’re correct, a coach CAN still pull said player out of the game. The coach determines who is on the field. The coach(es) also work with these players day in, day out, and should possess the ability to get a good read on players’ characters, and maybe have some foresight into whether the players would have a tendency to do that (respect their opponents). But, if coaches promote and foster a culture of showboating, dancing, etc, you just might also indirectly foster a culture of taunting and the like.

Your perspective is interesting to me. The more I read of your posts, the more I wonder why teams even need coaches? In your opinion, what do coaches even do or what purpose do they serve?
Coaches can "make" players disrespect an opponent. They can certain make them respect them as well. It is obviously not by force, but other means of motivation.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I wrote in another thread that outside of the loss, the taunting we did to FCS players was the second disappointing thing. Absolutely no reason for P5 players to talk that kind of trash to FCS players. I'm glad other players seemed pissed that those players got flagged, so that means it isn't a "culture" thing. However, those players who got flagged should have sat for a quarter if not the rest of the game. One of the penalties extended a drive that led to a score.

Let's not forget that we were the 3rd least penalized team coming into the game. That doesn't happen if it's a "culture" thing or the team isn't disciplined. Sometimes teams have a bad day...GT had a VERY VERY bad day against Citadel. Our offense, defense, special teams, coaching, discipline, fans...everyone had a bad day and that's why we're talking about Citadel. However, if things like this keep happening, then coaches and players are fair game for critcism because that is NOT the GT I've supported since I was a kid.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
Really? If that’s so, a coach would’t be able to make that player respect the coach. I’m sure you didn’t mean what you said.

No I mean exactly what I said. Players and people have to be intrinsically motivated to do something.

A coach can try and motivate, punish, correct, praise, and any other form of motivation, but they cannot make them do anything.

The coach can pull the player and affect playing time. Perhaps that’s why we don’t see WW on the field?

White_Gold

GT Athlete

Well, what do you think? I think coaches play a big role.

Recruiting
Scouting
Gameplanning
Coordination
Instruction
Promotion
Fundraising

Did I leave anything out?

LibertyTurns

Banned
No I mean exactly what I said. Players and people have to be intrinsically motivated to do something.

A coach can try and motivate, punish, correct, praise, and any other form of motivation, but they cannot make them do anything.

The coach can pull the player and affect playing time. Perhaps that’s why we don’t see WW on the field?
If I was the coach and they were giving me the finger, I’d send them home.

I deal with millennials every day. They aren’t all untrainable snowflakes.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
If I was the coach and they were giving me the finger, I’d send them home.

I deal with millennials every day. They aren’t all untrainable snowflakes.

I agree. But guess what, sending them home did not make the individual do what you wanted them to. Kinda getting in the weeds of philosophy of leadership.

You see anybody get kicked off the team this week like Tennessee had after their abysmal performance?

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
our players are all way too young to be millennials. Millennials are 25+ years old

I'm not saying our players are or have a millennial attitude, I'm saying the touchy feeling penalties come from a millennial approach to life. The penalties shouldn't be called --footballs a mans game.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Imo it’s about having a little class. Hit hard as hell, high five your teammates and line up and do it again. Posturing and talking trash the ref can hear from over 10 yards away....is stupid and thuggish.

Maybe that’s the culture we are going for now.....

I think there is a difference in perspective based on age. To me and my older mindset (post 50) playing hard includes hitting hard, talking crap and drawing blood, preferably my own to be truthful. Talking sh*t is part of the game to me. I also believe it stays on the field, hanging out with or being friends with the other team is cool ---after the season !

To me standing over someone after a big defensive play and yelling/screaming or posing is the very essence of the game. It makes it exciting and it's very masculine, the very theme of male prowess. It gets stopped when the over team shuts you up. Not when someone feelings get hurt and a ref takes up for them.

Animal02

Banned
I think there is a difference in perspective based on age. To me and my older mindset (post 50) playing hard includes hitting hard, talking crap and drawing blood, preferably my own to be truthful. Talking sh*t is part of the game to me. I also believe it stays on the field, hanging out with or being friends with the other team is cool ---after the season !

To me standing over someone after a big defensive play and yelling/screaming or posing is the very essence of the game. It makes it exciting and it's very masculine, the very theme of male prowess. It gets stopped when the over team shuts you up. Not when someone feelings get hurt and a ref takes up for them.
I am 59.....and feel just the opposite.....my head coach that would not tolerate it. It was a quick way to get benched.