The sun is rising...

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Considering Collins cut loose the two recruits CPJ had committed when he took over, all the 2019 LOS were CPJ guys except for Jarred Southers, who transferred in from Vandy.

Yea, cut those 2 loose. Braun left. He's lost Rankins, Pendley and Spiers to medical. I'm not denying that the OL results have been underwhelming but at the same time I wonder what he has truly had to work with outside of Jordan Williams.

JacketFan137

Banned
I respectfully disagree. With recruiting, the transfer portal, and proper development, you should be able to see significant result within four years. You should certainly see some improvement by then.
the problem is even in the places recruiting at the absolute top don’t always hit on their recruits. it’s not like you just sign a full line and they start every game and by year 4 they’ve all played together. some guys get hurt, some guys don’t grow enough for college ball, some guys transfer or just never were that good and they miss

you’ll maybe get 1 or 2 guys each recruiting class that can end up being positive assets. in other words you’re basically throwing you know what at the wall until something sticks.

gdamian

Georgia Tech Fan
The next 2 games will be "interesting". However, the bye week will come at a good time, IMO. I predict we will lose a close game to Pitt, but beat Dook and be 2-4 at the bye. I believe Key will start to instill a sense of discipline, getting back to basics ( wrapping up tackling, minimize penalties, fix special teams, etc.). The players will breathe a sigh of relief, IMO, and look forward to a fresh start with Key. They had to have felt the build up to CGC getting fired. I am feeling hopeful that with Cabrera we will will make good, thought out, hires for AD and HC to put us "back in the game".:buzz:(y)
We'll likely be an underdog to Duke. Will (sadly) be a good test.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
the problem is even in the places recruiting at the absolute top don’t always hit on their recruits. it’s not like you just sign a full line and they start every game and by year 4 they’ve all played together. some guys get hurt, some guys don’t grow enough for college ball, some guys transfer or just never were that good and they miss

you’ll maybe get 1 or 2 guys each recruiting class that can end up being positive assets. in other words you’re basically throwing you know what at the wall until something sticks.
Agree if anyone goes back in the past years and looks even before the NIL a class was good to keep 50% they signed all 4 years

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
why is above the line vs depth chart such a big deal?

above the line was cheesy but we all knew what what the depth chart really was lol
It’s absolutely a big deal. It places an emphasis on competition for the starting job that will be published and known publicly. ATL was basically just our entire roster grouped by position in numerical order. You could look on the ramblinwreck website and get the same information.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I respectfully disagree. With recruiting, the transfer portal, and proper development, you should be able to see significant result within four years. You should certainly see some improvement by then.
It's kinda comical to think that we might need until 2026 or maybe even as far out in the future as the 2028 season to turn the OL around. We might as well give up. I'm excited about Carbrera's comments, Nevelle, even Key. Breaths of fresh air. Can't wait for us play Pitt to see what the immediate impact looks like, looking forward to Dook for what a standard non-chaotic week will look like, etc. There's excitement for our last 8 games, even if we may only win 1-3 of the 8. We're going to start playing phsical football again & our aim is to compete. Back here on this board we lament change and postulate, contrive or concoct elaborate scenarios in our minds how we understandably went backwards for 4 years & could now need another 4-6 years to dig ourselves out of the OL ditch, but that's just crazy. I've seen experts estabish low expectations they could easily exceed by leaps & bounds to coronate themselves as heroes, embellish their resumes or get huge payouts for exceeding milestones, but this is really taking the cake. We went to a bowl game & overnight, poof, we immediately sucked worse than Incarnate Word & have to give up a decade of GT football to fix it. Not buying it & if it's true all those in charge & behind the regime change will go down in infamy.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
They were also one of the absolute worst pass blocking units in the country. Building an OL that could do both reasonably well meant starting over, and we are still in the process of that transition. IIWII.
Look I’m ok with Key as interim and I like the guy. But still in the transition? It’s year four. Players are gone after 4-5 years. That’s a BS excuse for an awful unit in year 4.

JacketFan137

Banned
Look I’m ok with Key as interim and I like the guy. But still in the transition? It’s year four. Players are gone after 4-5 years. That’s a BS excuse for an awful unit in year 4.
the line play should be better. the transition was always gonna take 4 or more years. both things can be true.

it even took kirby several years to get their o line where it is today. retooling a group in college football is hard since you always have guys coming and going. by now we should be serviceable but to get to the point we have a GOOD line, like one you genuinely have to acknowledge when playing us, will take a while

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Is it too much to ask that we improve a little bit along the way? We seem to be getting worse. Our OL FEI passing stats regressed from 2020 to 2021. 2022 isn't looking any better.
The OL has stagnated. "Transition" isn't just a noun, it's also a verb. We had a transition period, we were in a state of transition, but we didn't transition.

Last edited:

GT33

Helluva Engineer
The OL has stagnated. "Transition" isn't just a noun, it's also a verb. We had a transition period, we were in a state of transition, but we didn't transition.

The word they were looking for was regression. Unfortunately, they forgot the "to the mean part" and just regressed. Now we need progress.

georgytech

Georgia Tech Fan
Our season is most likely not going to go well from here on out... but with Collins gone and Key running the show for the last eight games, I feel a lot better about the rest of '22 and beyond. Under Collins I felt like we had lost our identity. We weren't playing "Georgia Tech" football. Now that Collins is gone, we're returning to the way we need to do things. Idk the last time I heard a coach say the words dicipline and accountability at a press conference. I think Key will be a lot more professional than Collins and won't put up with some of the stuff Geoff did. Seeing a depth chart instead of the ATL crap makes me feel at ease. We may not win many games under Key, but he already has my respect. Go Jackets!
Thumbs ☝

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Anyone that thinks Key will be the next coach is in for a rude awakening. He is our only option at this point. Beat Georgia and he might get an interview.

georgytech

Georgia Tech Fan
There's no confusion here. While we're all hopeful that Key can turn this around, many are justified in being apprehensive based on the OL performance and over the last 4 years. If Key's OL unit was as impactful as Choice's RB unit, then this would not be an issue.
A lot of the Oline bashing is unfair in my opinion as we are playing really young guys there & I expect they will look better in the 2nd half of the year.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Everyone acknowledges that the lines are the hardest to recruit and get going. I’ve posted this before - then why do our coaches continue to sign way more DB‘s and WR’s than OLinemen? It seems like every year we talk about this and every year I check the roster (under both CPJ and the last guy) and we have 15-20 DB’s, WR’s, and previously ABacks who never see the field. Why don’t our coaches over recruit and bring in 5-10 more OLinemen every year and hope the statistical game shows up and we find 5-8 we can use? Look at our current roster- we have about a dozen WR’s who never play, many of who may leave due to lack of playing time. I’d much rather have 12 more big bodies so if we have a couple of OLinemen go down we aren’t scrambling around like we see every year.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I was very anti-Key also. The OL performance over the last 3+ years raised substantial concerns. I wouldn't say I'm thrilled to see him as interim HC as @85Escape is, but his presser yesterday gave me hope that maybe he'll be ok. He said the right things. Cabrera and Neville tagged him, so he atleast deserves his shot. Personally I'd be excited to see him succeed & prove me wrong.
To be clear...I'm not thrilled to see Key as interim, but I'm good with it. I'm thrilled with the change and good with Key being interim along the way to fixing this mess. If Key turns out to be the next Saban, then great. Let's just not give him a long-term contract if he gets us to a bowl game this year.