The sun is rising...

JacketFan137

Banned
You're just being argumentative at this point. There has been substantial progress. There has not been a substantial change in results.

Hence this statement:

Fact: Our OL is better today than it was in 2019. The very fact that we can execute any kind of downfield passing attack attests to that.
Fact: Our OL is not good, and still needs work in developing players to fit the scheme.
would also add based on our current depth chart we are starting from left to right:

RS Freshman-RS Sophomore-Sophomore-RS Freshman-sophomore.

lot of youth there that will be here at least two more years. a good hire that can improve development and that could be a strong unit in the future as they are all gonna be very experienced

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
Being I guess what you call a sidewalk fan because I graduated from Southern Tech not Georgia Tech I not sure I understand some on here.
It seems like the new President is someone who seems to care about Tech and Tech sports. And I understand that it's fun to talk about who could be the next Head Coach. But I don't think that decision may not come till the end of the season, and we have a new AD.
So right now, we have an interim Head coach CBK. I also understand that lots don't care for CBK (and sad to say I was one) But just maybe it was not all him but the way CGC run practice.
So I guess what I'm saying is lets get behind the team and CBK and see how it goes the next 8 games. I'm sure Clemson didn't think Dado would work out when they named him interim head coach. I'm not saying CBK will work out but I have to feel he will try. Lets give him the new AD and the President a chance to see what they do after the season. support the team.
We'll hire an AD around UVA I'd assume then expect a coach to be announced day after the georgia game

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
would also add based on our current depth chart we are starting from left to right:

RS Freshman-RS Sophomore-Sophomore-RS Freshman-sophomore.

lot of youth there that will be here at least two more years. a good hire that can improve development and that could be a strong unit in the future as they are all gonna be very experienced
The one thing to remember is that with the COVID year, and the way GT lists the grades, all of these players are a year older than normal. Under normal circumstances we would be saying: RS-Sophmore, RS-Junior, Junior, RS-Sophmore, Jr. Not the oldest line, but not playing true frosh either...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The one thing to remember is that with the COVID year, and the way GT lists the grades, all of these players are a year older than normal. Under normal circumstances we would be saying: RS-Sophmore, RS-Junior, Junior, RS-Sophmore, Jr. Not the oldest line, but not playing true frosh either...

Our starting OL is recruiting class 2019 (Quick), 2020 (Williams), 2021 (Robinson II), 2021 (Franklin), and 2021 (Fusile).

Other than Quick, we're not benefitting from extra development there due to the COVID year.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Fact: Our OL is better today than it was in 2019. The very fact that we can execute any kind of downfield passing attack attests to that.
Fact: Our OL is not good, and still needs work in developing players to fit the scheme.
2018 to 2021:

Fact: Our OL pass blocking got better, #127 to 93
Fact: Our run blocking got worse, #6 to 70
Fact: Our offense got worse: #19 to 92
Fact: We went from 86% running & 14% passing to 58% running & 42% passing

We traded elite running which we did an extremely high percentage of time for significantly increased passing which we did very poorly albeit not atrociously as we did before. I will note that even when we had one of the most atrocious pass blocking OLs in the nation and maybe even rivalling some of the worst ever in the history of D1 football, we averaged 8.6 ypa. With the "improved" pass blocking we averaged 7.0 ypa, so it's not like we got much out of it. Rushing went from 5.7 ypa to 4.6 ypa & that was with having the luxury of a NFL roster RB AND a highly coveted, likely a 4th round draft choice in the backfield. In total, we got worse & got worse except for a slight improvement in pass blocking, so minimal as to be inconsequential in actual games.

You have to really, really reach to see anything improved here. Believe what you like, but the numbers don't lie.

JacketFan137

Banned
2018 to 2021:

Fact: Our OL pass blocking got better, #127 to 93
Fact: Our run blocking got worse, #6 to 70
Fact: Our offense got worse: #19 to 92
Fact: We went from 86% running & 14% passing to 58% running & 42% passing

We traded elite running which we did an extremely high percentage of time for significantly increased passing which we did very poorly albeit not atrociously as we did before. I will note that even when we had one of the most atrocious pass blocking OLs in the nation and maybe even rivalling some of the worst ever in the history of D1 football, we averaged 8.6 ypa. With the "improved" pass blocking we averaged 7.0 ypa, so it's not like we got much out of it. Rushing went from 5.7 ypa to 4.6 ypa & that was with having the luxury of a NFL roster RB AND a highly coveted, likely a 4th round draft choice in the backfield. In total, we got worse & got worse except for a slight improvement in pass blocking, so minimal as to be inconsequential in actual games.

You have to really, really reach to see anything improved here. Believe what you like, but the numbers don't lie.
the ypa argument falls pretty flat on its face when you’ve noted that we throw the ball three times as often. of course the efficiency is crazy on paper when that was plenty of games of going 4/10 passing but they’re all deep balls that hit on play action. regression there was always expected.

the line has improved its just not good enough. acting like there’s zero improvement is a big reach

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Right now for 2022 we are 118th in sacks allowed, 119th in sacks per game, and 124th in TFL allowed. I guess maybe thats an improvement in some stat somewhere.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Right now for 2022 we are 118th in sacks allowed, 119th in sacks per game, and 124th in TFL allowed. I guess maybe thats an improvement in some stat somewhere.

Three of our four opponents so far rank in the top 35 in sacks and/or TFL. Clemson and Ole Miss DLs are two of the better DL in the nation right now. UCF is no slouch either.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Three of our four opponents so far rank in the top 35 in sacks and/or TFL. Clemson and Ole Miss DLs are two of the better DL in the nation right now. UCF is no slouch either.
How much are we propping those stats up? Ole Miss had 7 sacks against us. They had 6 combined against the mighty teams from Troy, Central Ark, and Tulsa. UCF had 4 sacks against us. They had 5 against their other 3 opponents combined.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
That's exactly why it takes so long. If you started with all freshman by year 3 1/2 to year 4 you'd be awesome but have to start all over again the next year. The trick is to develop 1-2 guys a year and rotate them in. Takes 4-6 years to get enough players into the system for that to work.

But that's what football coaches told me, not internet fans, so maybe they don't know what they are talking about.
I hope we're not hiring any of those coaches.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
I mean sure, if you don't like the message, shoot the messenger.
I'm guessing we're differing on semantics. You probably mean a line that is consistently good. I mean a line that is serviceable run blocking and stops turning our QB into a human pinata. We are not even at that level yet. Maybe we get there by year end as our youth gets experience.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
How much are we propping those stats up? Ole Miss had 7 sacks against us. They had 6 combined against the mighty teams from Troy, Central Ark, and Tulsa. UCF had 4 sacks against us. They had 5 against their other 3 opponents combined.
Those are some might impressive numbers. We’ve made Ole Piss and UCF look like world beaters. If not for GT padding their stats, they’d probably be below average. And that’s with Kiffy backing off. Let’s hope he didn’t put his punter in to play LB, we’ve seen what that punters playing out of position do to us once too many times.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I'm guessing we're differing on semantics. You probably mean a line that is consistently good. I mean a line that is serviceable run blocking and stops turning our QB into a human pinata. We are not even at that level yet. Maybe we get there by year end as our youth gets experience.

My argument is that we have seen improvement in line play since 2019, it's just not obvious to the casual sports fan.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Those are some might impressive numbers. We’ve made Ole Piss and UCF look like world beaters. If not for GT padding their stats, they’d probably be below average. And that’s with Kiffy backing off. Let’s hope he didn’t put his punter in to play LB, we’ve seen what that punters playing out of position do to us once too many times.

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Squints

Helluva Engineer
That's exactly why it takes so long. If you started with all freshman by year 3 1/2 to year 4 you'd be awesome but have to start all over again the next year. The trick is to develop 1-2 guys a year and rotate them in. Takes 4-6 years to get enough players into the system for that to work.

But that's what football coaches told me, not internet fans, so maybe they don't know what they are talking about.

This would not be a shocking development considering coaching is one of the most nepotistic, full of **** professions I've ever encountered.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This would not be a shocking development considering coaching is one of the most nepotistic, full of **** professions I've ever encountered.

OK. But I was talking to HS coaches who aren't particularly GT fans nor do they particularly have a grudge against GT. They simply told me what it takes to develop an OL from scratch as we were talking about what would be involved in transitioning the offense. Smearing the entire coaching profession because the opinion isn't favorable aside, do you have other evidence that they are incorrect in their professional assessment?