The sun is rising...

slugboy

Staff member
S

still can’t block on a screen pass.

It’s not a lot of fun to pull up the condensed games, but go and look at Ole Miss and UCF. It won’t be hard to find one of our screens.

What I’ve seen is that a player either doesn’t see a tackler coming from the backside, or that a player doesn’t make the right blocking read, or that a running back doesn’t follow his blockers as long as they should. Mostly, it’s ONE player making a mistake (and it’s not always the same player).

Some of those problems should get better with coaching focused on fundamentals. Probably not by Pitt this weekend, but if we stay healthy I’d expect that to get cleaner during the rest of the season.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It’s not a lot of fun to pull up the condensed games, but go and look at Ole Miss and UCF. It won’t be hard to find one of our screens.

What I’ve seen is that a player either doesn’t see a tackler coming from the backside, or that a player doesn’t make the right blocking read, or that a running back doesn’t follow his blockers as long as they should. Mostly, it’s ONE player making a mistake (and it’s not always the same player).

Some of those problems should get better with coaching focused on fundamentals. Probably not by Pitt this weekend, but if we stay healthy I’d expect that to get cleaner during the rest of the season.
I hope so, but what would you base that optimism on? We don't have any different coaching on OL than we did at the start of the season. But maybe somehow a change at the top will make a difference in our OL fundamentals, I dunno. Hard to see how, though. I hope the new beginning works magic. We'll see.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
OK. But I was talking to HS coaches who aren't particularly GT fans nor do they particularly have a grudge against GT. They simply told me what it takes to develop an OL from scratch as we were talking about what would be involved in transitioning the offense. Smearing the entire coaching profession because the opinion isn't favorable aside, do you have other evidence that they are incorrect in their professional assessment?

Sigh. I don't know why you feel the need to turn every post that isn't 100% in step with you on this into some sort of passive aggressive semantics fight.

Interesting assumption but it's got nothing to do with what your buddies told you. Or however they might feel about GT. I'm comfortable 'smearing the entire coaching profession' because of my own and others personal experiences with a lot of it as well as my own observations watching terrible coaches consistently fail upwards. Coaches aren't oracles. Sometimes they do in fact not know what they're talking about. Like I said, this should not be a shocking revelation.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Sigh. I don't know why you feel the need to turn every post that isn't 100% in step with you on this into some sort of passive aggressive semantics fight.

Interesting assumption but it's got nothing to do with what your buddies told you. Or however they might feel about GT. I'm comfortable 'smearing the entire coaching profession' because of my own and others personal experiences with a lot of it as well as my own observations watching terrible coaches consistently fail upwards. Coaches aren't oracles. Sometimes they do in fact not know what they're talking about. Like I said, this should not be a shocking revelation.
Geoff Collins is example 1A, and many many high school coaches are morons as well, including many of my own coaches in high school. Should I start quoting my coworker that coaches a little league team as some sort of authority? I mean they've won their league's championship the last 3 years...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I keep reading this phrase, but you must have a different definition of it than I do. It wasn't "from scratch" as I understand the term. "From scratch" would be a team with no OL at all. The pass blocking now is barely better than it was in 2018.

Pedantry is what people result to when they are losing the debate...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

But when the consensus of many experts says the same thing, you can be sure they are most likely right.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
My argument is that we have seen improvement in line play since 2019, it's just not obvious to the casual sports fan.
Maybe you aren’t trying to talk down to us all, but it sure comes across that way. Maybe not. Maybe by “casual sports fan” you just mean the entire population other than football coaches at the high school level or above, all of whom you seem to have polled at the breakfast spot or something.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Maybe you aren’t trying to talk down to us all, but it sure comes across that way. Maybe not. Maybe by “casual sports fan” you just mean the entire population other than football coaches at the high school level or above, all of whom you seem to have polled at the breakfast spot or something.

One of the coaches I am friends with had an OL offered a scholarship to Tech under CPJ. He was one of the biggest voices of caution on this.