The sun is rising...

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Our season is most likely not going to go well from here on out... but with Collins gone and Key running the show for the last eight games, I feel a lot better about the rest of '22 and beyond. Under Collins I felt like we had lost our identity. We weren't playing "Georgia Tech" football. Now that Collins is gone, we're returning to the way we need to do things. Idk the last time I heard a coach say the words dicipline and accountability at a press conference. I think Key will be a lot more professional than Collins and won't put up with some of the stuff Geoff did. Seeing a depth chart instead of the ATL crap makes me feel at ease. We may not win many games under Key, but he already has my respect. Go Jackets!

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Really interested to see how we look on Saturday. Likely not too much change this week, but I would think going forward, we will at least have a shot against Duke, UVA and Va. Tech, maybe others. 3 or 4 wins would be a huge improvement on where we were just a few days ago and would show the situation we were in under the former coach.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
How long will it take to correct the unforced errors this team has been making for the last four years? How long will it take for the coaching staff to learn how to use timeouts and make in game adjustments? How long will it take for the team to start giving full effort for an entire game?

There were enough wins on this schedule to get to a bowl game if we had just handled the above issues.

We’re fixing to find out a lot. Even if we don’t win games, progress should be visible to the naked eye.

JacketFan137

Banned
why is above the line vs depth chart such a big deal?

above the line was cheesy but we all knew what what the depth chart really was lol

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
The next 2 games will be "interesting". However, the bye week will come at a good time, IMO. I predict we will lose a close game to Pitt, but beat Dook and be 2-4 at the bye. I believe Key will start to instill a sense of discipline, getting back to basics ( wrapping up tackling, minimize penalties, fix special teams, etc.). The players will breathe a sigh of relief, IMO, and look forward to a fresh start with Key. They had to have felt the build up to CGC getting fired. I am feeling hopeful that with Cabrera we will will make good, thought out, hires for AD and HC to put us "back in the game".:buzz:(y)

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
why is above the line vs depth chart such a big deal?

above the line was cheesy but we all knew what what the depth chart really was lol

I just think it offers much better clarity. It's not a huge deal but got rather annoying when you had tons of names that truthfully weren't gonna play many snaps at all.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Being I guess what you call a sidewalk fan because I graduated from Southern Tech not Georgia Tech I not sure I understand some on here.
It seems like the new President is someone who seems to care about Tech and Tech sports. And I understand that it's fun to talk about who could be the next Head Coach. But I don't think that decision may not come till the end of the season, and we have a new AD.
So right now, we have an interim Head coach CBK. I also understand that lots don't care for CBK (and sad to say I was one) But just maybe it was not all him but the way CGC run practice.
So I guess what I'm saying is lets get behind the team and CBK and see how it goes the next 8 games. I'm sure Clemson didn't think Dado would work out when they named him interim head coach. I'm not saying CBK will work out but I have to feel he will try. Lets give him the new AD and the President a chance to see what they do after the season. support the team.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I mean the ATL chart was grating because we were a bad program under coach so anything “unique” was verboten.

I liked the concept of having guys practice as either being above the standard needed or below. If you’re really running separate workouts for the “developmental” players. It’s what Pastner does with his guys (remember when he had Devoe working with a track coach in the off season and Moses doing developmental work in the first few seasons during practice). We just didn’t see the results from it.

As has been hashed out here repeatedly, everyone knew there were starters and 1s v 2s v you’re only coming in for injuries.

JacketFan137

Banned
if anything the loud mouths that complained the most should be the first one’s buying tickets for the rest of the season. they wanted collins out and got what they wanted so i would expect sold out crowds since he was the reason they weren’t going right?

unfortunate reality is a lot of those guys probably don’t go to games and haven’t supported our program in years anyway

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I mean you ain't wrong, but all it us is us playing with a shiny new toy rn.

Key is last year's Christmas toy with missing pieces. Sure, if we picked it up we'd have fun playing with it. But we're stuck on tryna figure out what's in that big box under the tree. That's all.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Being I guess what you call a sidewalk fan because I graduated from Southern Tech not Georgia Tech I not sure I understand some on here.
It seems like the new President is someone who seems to care about Tech and Tech sports. And I understand that it's fun to talk about who could be the next Head Coach. But I don't think that decision may not come till the end of the season, and we have a new AD.
So right now, we have an interim Head coach CBK. I also understand that lots don't care for CBK (and sad to say I was one) But just maybe it was not all him but the way CGC run practice.
So I guess what I'm saying is lets get behind the team and CBK and see how it goes the next 8 games. I'm sure Clemson didn't think Dado would work out when they named him interim head coach. I'm not saying CBK will work out but I have to feel he will try. Lets give him the new AD and the President a chance to see what they do after the season. support the team.

The very vast majority of Tech fans and alums that I've spoken to are all thrilled with the change, happy to see Key as interim and fully supportive going forward. I'd suggest we don't take The Swarm as even a reasonably representative sample of GT Fans. There are some on here who would gripe if we won 12 games a year, saying that if only we had done it their way, we'd win 13+.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
If it helps, I graduated from Tech, married a GT ME and count a full 5/5 of my closest friends (all guys I grew up with and attended GT with). Outside of work I live in an almost entirely GT bubble and I DON’T always understand us.

We’re sometimes analytical to a fault and argue the most pedantic points we can find. On occasion we look to prove ourselves smarter than the other even if we agree in principle.

That said, we are also often pragmatic and when faced with a case that shows our error - and after given due time to attack it with a vengeance for showing us our fault - will double down on the correct path forward.

GT makes some of the most confident, self-assured people I have come across (I believe we self selected to go there and through fire and force became more so to get out). That cuts both ways, and what I will say is that if CBK gets the boys going, you’ll see a level of support people have been withholding.

I have tried to be vocal here, and in real life, about the need to lead with investment and provide the cash the program needs to reach our goals. I am hopeful that CBK does what he said he would do in his first press availability and we see improvement against Pitt and Duke (maybe steal a win from one or both) and go into the Bye with some renewed confidence.

I thought it spot on when he said coaches and players were waiting for something to happen (good or bad) as opposed to making the good thing happen and playing to win versus playing to lose. Here is to hoping that attitude permeates the team these next few weeks and we can attack the back half of the season.

Go Jackets!

Last edited:

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Agree, we got our wish that collins is gone. It's my understanding that the president stepped in because, collins was already toast essentially. He wanted to be able to give enough time to get a new AD, that could find a new HC and still have time to meet early recruiting.
I haven't been the biggest fan of Key, but who knows maybe he was limited by collins.
Now is not the time to continue bitching.

Let Key have a chance at this and see if he's cut out to be the full time HC while the search goes on.

If collins was the biggest turn off for fans , then now we should show the staff and team our support in any way possible, not continue to tear the program down

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
There's no confusion here. While we're all hopeful that Key can turn this around, many are justified in being apprehensive based on the OL performance and over the last 4 years. If Key's OL unit was as impactful as Choice's RB unit, then this would not be an issue.