The Search

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
To all the Capel likers, how do you know we didn't try to get him to come here only for him to turn around and decide he will stay at Duke? How do you know Capel wasn't our first choice, but HE turned it down?

I believe there is only one poster who is insinuating that wasn't a possibility. And I think most of the people that wanted Capel are still happy with Drew, and not even upset if Drew was our first choice.

In the last 33 years Oklahoma has only had three losing seasons. Two were under Capel and the third was the year after he left. One of those years he had three McDonalds all americans on the roster. I know he had some problems with one of his assistants and some issues left over from the previous coach but that doesn't really explain how he let Oklahoma get that bad. Oklahoma is not a hard place to win at.

And the team with 3 MC'Ds had a team full of ego that an extremely young coach wasn't able to control and it hurt him that year and especially so the next year. That issue should be helped a lot by his experience at OU as well as being under K the past 5 years. Capel has learned the hard way that it's not just getting talent, but also being able to control it. I'm not saying Capel has no flaws or has never done anything wrong, but he did have success at a program comparable to an ACC team, and in the time since has done things to help solve one of the major problems he had there. Capel had some bad things happen at OU. Drew has never had any experience dealing with 4 and 5 star recruits, and no experience coaching at the college level anywhere but Valpo. Even if he can attract the high level recruits we really have no way of knowing if he could control them.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
To all the Capel likers, how do you know we didn't try to get him to come here only for him to turn around and decide he will stay at Duke? How do you know Capel wasn't our first choice, but HE turned it down?
Guys. If Capel wanted to be the coach at Georgia Tech all he had to do is call MBob and ask for the job.

THWG72

Georgia Tech Fan
Either way it's a big upgrade from Gregory. I'm sure Drew realizes the importance of having a really good point gaurd. As far as Capel...why would he leave Duke?

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Bryce would also bring experience as a player in the NBA who was also taken in the 1st round. That has to be appealing to a recruit. Many have said he is also a great X's and O's coach. I hope so. That is if he is the man.

I'm not sure why Capel is such a hot name for us. I've not seen any sustained success from any of rat boy's explayers. Wojo is the only one that hasn't had time to fail. Dawkins, Amaker, Capel, there are a couple more wasting air that I can't remember that have done absolutely zero as HC.

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
I've been looking through the recruits BD has pulled in at Val. He has not had a single 4* or higher yet he has still made the NIT/NCAA 4 out of the 5 years. That's good to be some legit coaching right?

THWG72

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm excited about Drew. Look what we've been dealing with the last 5 seasons. It's got to get better. Tech shouldn't be a hard sell for 4 and 5 star talent. Location, education and new facilities.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I've been looking through the recruits BD has pulled in at Val. He has not had a single 4* or higher yet he has still made the NIT/NCAA 4 out of the 5 years. That's good to be some legit coaching right?

Look at the conference.

*note I'm not saying he's a bad coach.

THWG72

Georgia Tech Fan
Valparaiso really didn't play anybody tough on a consistent basis. 2 decent wins were BYU and Florida St. They also played Oregon really close. I really don't think we can look at that though. The 4 and 5 star talent wants to play at the big schools in the power conferences. I don't think Coach K could get that kind of talent if he were coaching at Valparaiso.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure why Capel is such a hot name for us. I've not seen any sustained success from any of rat boy's explayers. Wojo is the only one that hasn't had time to fail. Dawkins, Amaker, Capel, there are a couple more wasting air that I can't remember that have done absolutely zero as HC.

Amaker has become a pretty good coach. 4 consecutive NCAAT at Harvard before this year. And an NIT birth before that run.

Chris Collins is the other one you're looking for

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Amaker has become a pretty good coach. 4 consecutive NCAAT at Harvard before this year. And an NIT birth before that run.

Chris Collins is the other one you're looking for

Quin Snyder is currently the coach for the Utah Jazz. His college head coaching experience was not the best.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Twitter provides me with great entertainment

image.png

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'll start by saying I don't have an opinion on Bryce Drew as a coach. He may turn out to be an excellent coach for GT, if he indeed becomes our next coach. Bobinski certainly has a track record of bringing in good coaches.

I will say, however, based on what Bobinski said in his press conference when he announced that CBG had not been retained, that Bryce Drew was not the candidate I expected. Based on what he said, I expected a well-respected, seasoned coach from either a mid-level high-major program looking to take that next challenge and enter the ACC fray; a well-respected up-and-comer from the high-major circuit; or a seasoned, high level guy from the upper mid-major programs. I jokingly threw out Self, Crean and Matta, but I would have expected someone like Miller (Arizona), Marshall or Few to be legitimate candidate types. The fact that we didn't even scratch at Miller (Dayton) or Mack leaves me disquieted.

Like I said, Drew could be successful at GT, and Bobinski has a record of good coaching hires, but he's untested and I'm underwhelmed by him as a potential selection. He's would be going up against Hall-of-Fame level coaches, day-in and day-out, on the court and in the living rooms. I think there are multiple assistant coaches within the ACC that would be better equiped to compete on the recruiting circuit than Drew. We can't afford to bring in a guy who has to prove himself to these kids. We need someone these kids are going to believe and trust, straight out of the shoot.

In my opinion, I think that's what happened to Gregory. I don't think he was equipped to compete for the level of HS players necessary to be competitive in the ACC. Had he been able to bring in the right kids, he would probably still be here. I think the ACC is just too big a hill to climb as a young coach to also have to drag a sagging program with him.

With what GT has to offer, the administration should be able to make GT an attractive draw for even the highest high-major coaches. The fact that we're seriously considering a guy who has been a HC for 4 years at a mid-major school, and only coaching in general for less than 1o years, leaves me shaking my head. His only asst coaching experience was also at Valpo, under his dad. Again, I'm not knocking Bryce Drew, but with everything GT has going for it, he shouldn't even be on our radar.

Last edited:

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Either way it's a big upgrade from Gregory. I'm sure Drew realizes the importance of having a really good point gaurd. As far as Capel...why would he leave Duke?
I'm pretty sure Gregory understood that too. He just couldn't recruit a top-shelf PG to Tech.
I hope Drew is a better ACC-level recruiter.