The Search

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
And therein lies my apprehension. We're potentially bringing in a coach we have to HOPE is a better recruiter than Gregory. There's no track record or evidence of high level recruiting on his resume.
The same could have been said about Cremins and he immediately signed a decent PG from Enid, OK and a 6-9 190 pound center from Brooklyn. That turned out just fine. Enough already!

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I'll start by saying I don't have an opinion on Bryce Drew as a coach. He may turn out to be an excellent coach for GT, if he indeed becomes our next coach. Bobinski certainly has a track record of bringing in good coaches.

I will say, however, based on what Bobinski said in his press conference when he announced that CBG had not been retained, that Bryce Drew was not the candidate I expected. Based on what he said, I expected a well-respected, seasoned coach from either a mid-level high-major program looking to take that next challenge and enter the ACC fray; a well-respected up-and-comer from the high-major circuit; or a seasoned, high level guy from the upper mid-major programs. I jokingly threw out Self, Crean and Matta, but I would have expected someone like Miller (Arizona), Marshall or Few to be legitimate candidate types. The fact that we didn't even scratch at Miller (Dayton) or Mack leaves me disquieted.

Like I said, Drew could be successful at GT, and Bobinski has a record of good coaching hires, but he's untested and I'm underwhelmed by him as a potential selection. He's would be going up against Hall-of-Fame level coaches, day-in and day-out, on the court and in the living rooms. I think there are multiple assistant coaches within the ACC that would be better equiped to compete on the recruiting circuit than Drew. We can't afford to bring in a guy who has to prove himself to these kids. We need someone these kids are going to believe and trust, straight out of the shoot.

In my opinion, I think that's what happened to Gregory. I don't think he was equipped to compete for the level of HS players necessary to be competitive in the ACC. Had he been able to bring in the right kids, he would probably still be here. I think the ACC is just too big a hill to climb as a young coach to also have to drag a sagging program with him.

With what GT has to offer, the administration should be able to make GT an attractive draw for even the highest high-major coaches. The fact that we're seriously considering a guy who has been a HC for 4 years at a mid-major school, and only coaching in general for less than 1o years, leaves me shaking my head. His only asst coaching experience was also at Valpo, under his dad. Again, I'm not knocking Bryce Drew, but with everything GT has going for it, he shouldn't even be on our radar.

I agree with this. He had me on the hook for about a day that it COULD be Chris Mack or Archie Miller. Big Daddy compounded that with the whispers he was hearing.

It was pretty evident pretty quick what the tea leaves were actually saying though.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
so your saying that his rising to the top of that conference from the getgo meant nothing?

No. I'm saying that dominating the Horizon league without 4* recruits doesn't necessarily point to a guy being an ACC level coach. I doubt if you looked around that league there were many 4* players there. You wouldn't expect him to recruit 4*s there, or play against 4* players there.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
No. I'm saying that dominating the Horizon league without 4* recruits doesn't necessarily point to a guy being an ACC level coach. I doubt if you looked around that league there were many 4* players there. You wouldn't expect him to recruit 4*s there, or play against 4* players there.

But you would agree that stepping up in conference gives him more exposure with the higher level recruits.

It's all relative (to a certain point, still have to bring em in)

Coffee is for closers. Our last coach often drank apple juice.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The same could have been said about Cremins and he immediately signed a decent PG from Enid, OK and a 6-9 190 pound center from Brooklyn. That turned out just fine. Enough already!
Who are you "enough already"ing? This was my first comment, and I qualified it.

However, to your comment, there's a big difference between college basketball today and college basketball in 1981. Also, GT is in a much different position than it was in 1981. So, to compare any hire today to Bobby Cremins's situation is a little disingenuous. If we end up hiring Drew, I'm all for him being the next Cremins or better. Just question why we're having to go that route, especially after how Bobinski described the coach we were going to bring in to replace Gregory.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I will support the coach we hire, and I believe most will.

I do not know where a lot of people posting here, or those tweets from the Internet world that are referenced here get their info so IDGAS.

We could hire some of the names people bring up, but it might cost 3 - 4 mill per year. We can afford that, but do not want to.

IDK if Capel or Drew is better.

I do know that I have to question the smarts of someone thinking it is a good idea to be the first to replace K.

THWG

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
But you would agree that stepping up in conference gives him more exposure with the higher level recruits.

It's all relative (to a certain point, still have to bring em in)

Coffee is for closers. Our last coach often drank apple juice.

Yes. My point was that it's silly to try and make any analysis off the fact that he didn't have any 4*s at Valpo, in either direction.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We're 3 hrs from tipoff of the Final 4.

I'm assuming the "coaches conference" ends soon.

I'm supposed to be feeling good that we've not inked a coach yet?

Let's see:
a. We're announcing right before tipoff to garner max coverage
b. We're announcing tomorrow or Monday night in order to make bigger splash
c. We're respecting the accomplishments of the Final 4 coaches/schools by not detracting from their big days but taking their moment away by revealing our guy
d. We're completely jacked up- no plan, playing a weak hand weakly, used as a pawn, etc

Well how's everybody voting?

I think door D is rapidly becoming a reality. Praying I'm wrong and/or we get lucky and catch lightning in a bottle.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I expect formal announcement on Monday. Bud and MBob are in Houston as are majority of college coaches including Drew.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
The fact that we didn't even scratch at Miller (Dayton) or Mack leaves me disquieted.

I have seen no evidence that GT did not offer the job to Miller or Mack. No one knows who has been contacted by GT or who has contacted GT.
The news is that there is no news. And, to be honest, I find that very troubling.

And I feel a rant coming on............!
There is today a vacancy in the greatest conference in the college basketball world, and that fact does not produce dozens of suitors.
You would think that there would be a line of applicants outside MBob's hotel room demanding an interview.
Pittsburgh, of that same conference, had a vacancy and one guy jumped at it. He has my admiration.

What basketball coach with just a tad of competitiveness in his soul would not jump headfirst at either opportunity?
If you are competitive wouldn't you want to challenge Coach K, Williams, Boeheim, Pitino and Bennett almost daily?
Has college basketball become a sport of cowards? Has it come down to coaches only wanting to go to schools where winning is "guaranteed"?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I have seen no evidence that GT did not offer the job to Miller or Mack. No one knows who has been contacted by GT or who has contacted GT.
The news is that there is no news. And, to be honest, I find that very troubling.

And I feel a rant coming on............!
There is today a vacancy in the greatest conference in the college basketball world, and that fact does not produce dozens of suitors.
You would think that there would be a line of applicants outside MBob's hotel room demanding an interview.
Pittsburgh, of that same conference, had a vacancy and one guy jumped at it. He has my admiration.

What basketball coach with just a tad of competitiveness in his soul would not jump headfirst at either opportunity?
If you are competitive wouldn't you want to challenge Coach K, Williams, Boeheim, Pitino and Bennett almost daily?
Has college basketball become a sport of cowards? Has it come down to coaches only wanting to go to schools where winning is "guaranteed"?

The news was that Mack declined to interview. Not sure about Miller.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
And therein lies my apprehension. We're potentially bringing in a coach we have to HOPE is a better recruiter than Gregory. There's no track record or evidence of high level recruiting on his resume.

Except that we can target very strong local guys to help us with that as well