The Search

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I need to clarify myself a little, just so that everyone understands what I'm saying. . .

I don't have an opinion one way or the otehr regarding Bryce Drew's ability to take GT back to the level we were at.
I am cautiously optimistic that Bobinski knows what he's doing and will bring in someone that will return us to the upper eschelon of CBB.
I'm not down on GT or GTAA or our Administration. (again, I'm cautiously optimistic)

My comment was one of confusion and incredulity.

We are a storied athletic school. We have been successful at the highest level of CBB in the not distant past. We are in a protected pocket within an urban environment, in a fertile region for HS and AAU basketball. We play in the most competitive league against the highest level of competition and coaching in the country. We can be competitive salary-wise.

Why is our #1 targets an assistant coach who potetially has baggage and a successful mid-level mid-major coach with 4 years coaching experience and only 10 years experience in CBB (all at the same mid-level mid-major school). There is no knock against either candidate. But neither of them meet the criteria Bobinski set forth in his press conference.

My comment about Mack and Miller wasn't that we didn't contact them, but that neither of them jumped at the opportunity, even before being approached by us.

Anyway, I hope we end up with someone who will continue the academic and social successes gained by CBG and improve the recruiting and on-court success. I don't care who that is, or where he comes from. If he's honest and successful, I'm happy.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
I need to clarify myself a little, just so that everyone understands what I'm saying. . .

I don't have an opinion one way or the otehr regarding Bryce Drew's ability to take GT back to the level we were at.
I am cautiously optimistic that Bobinski knows what he's doing and will bring in someone that will return us to the upper eschelon of CBB.
I'm not down on GT or GTAA or our Administration. (again, I'm cautiously optimistic)

We are a storied athletic school. We have been successful at the highest level of CBB in the not distant past. We are in a protected pocket within an urban environment, in a fertile region for HS and AAU basketball. We play in the most competitive league against the highest level of competition and coaching in the country. We can be competitive salary-wise.

Why is our #1 targets an assistant coach who potetially has baggage and a successful mid-level mid-major coach with 4 years coaching experience and only 10 years experience in CBB (all at the same mid-level mid-major school). There is no knock against either candidate. But neither of them meet the criteria Bobinski set forth in his press conference.

My comment about Mack and Miller wasn't that we didn't contact them, but that neither of them jumped at the opportunity, even before being approached by us.

Anyway, I hope we end up with someone who will continue the academic and social successes gained by CBG and improve the recruiting and on-court success. I don't care who that is, or where he comes from. If he's honest and successful, I'm happy.

How is Drew different than Miller? I'm surprised everyone was so enamored with Miller to begin with.

And that's how it usually works. You hire a top assistant or an up and coming coach

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
I was intrigued enough to see where the ACC coaches came from. See below.

List of ACC Head Coaches:

6 hired from Mid-Majors
2 hired from failed NBA jobs (after successful NCAA jobs)
2 hired from SEC (1 begrudingly)
1 from a top 5 team in country and Big 12
1 from Big east
1 from Pac 12
1 hired internally

Boston College- Jim Christian- Hired from Ohio (Mid-major)
Clemson- Brad Brownell - Hired from Wright State (Mid-major)
Duke- Coach K - Hired from Army (Mid-Major)
FSU- Leonard Williams - Hired from Washington Wizards (formerly with Miami)
Louisiville - Rick Pitino- Hired from Boston Celtics (formerly with Kentucky)
Miami - Jim Larranaga - Hired from GMU (Mid-major)
NC State - Mark Gottfried - Hired from Alabama (SEC)
UNC - Roy Williams - Hired from Kansas (Big 12)
Note Dame - Mike Brey - Hired from Delaware (Mid-major)
Pitt - Kevin Stallings - Hired from Vandy (SEC)
Cuse - Jim Boeheim - Hired from Cuse assistant
Virginia - Tony Bennet - Hired from Washington State (Pac-12)
Virginia Tech - Buzz Williams - Hired from Marquette (Big East)
WFU - Danny Manning - Hired from Tulsa (Mid - Major)

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

I LOVE tech basketball and we have had some big success in the past. That said, I think you are way over-estimating Georgia Tech's current basketball status. We have made the tourney, what, twice in the last 10 years? Maybe four elite eights in the history of the program? We are currently a mid level power 5 program with potential to be a good power 5 program.

This is not 1965 anymore. There is a ton of money in college basketball. The top mid major programs are having more sustained success than ever and their coaches are being paid more than ever. There is also more turnover than ever, with top jobs coming open on a regular basis. In short, there is simply more motivation than ever for top mid-major coaches to keep the good thing going they got until an elite job comes calling. Realistically, we were never going to get Mack, Miller, or Marshall, and that is not as much a reflection on Tech as it is a reflection on the current state of basketball.

We are probably the top job open this year, but we are still not an "elite" job. Drew and Capel seem to be the top candidates that would consider a non-elite job. It sounds like we may have landed one, and that is a good thing. Last time around, we were rejected by Chris Mooney for fk sake.

I would be much happier with Drew than some power 5 retread. To even reference Pitt grabbing stallings quickly as a good thing is laughable to me. I am exciting about Drew if that is the case.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I would be much happier with Drew than some power 5 retread. To even reference Pitt grabbing stallings quickly as a good thing is laughable to me. I am exciting about Drew if that is the case.

Amen to the retread comment. Why is Miller considered in a different category to Drew? They have both been head coaches for 5 years with Drew having better results in a worse conference. They don't seem like they are in different categories.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
And therein lies my apprehension. We're potentially bringing in a coach we have to HOPE is a better recruiter than Gregory. There's no track record or evidence of high level recruiting on his resume.

As opposed to what? Which option is a guaranteed guy? I'd argue that Cosch K and USA hoops recruits itself. You're not going to get the 40 HR guy at the price we pay. You're going to get the guy with a nice 94 mph fastball and a slider with decent #2 potential.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
As opposed to what? Which option is a guaranteed guy? I'd argue that Cosch K and USA hoops recruits itself. You're not going to get the 40 HR guy at the price we pay. You're going to get the guy with a nice 94 mph fastball and a slider with decent #2 potential.
If we want to play with the big boys, we need to pay with the big boys. Why aren't we paying for the 40 HR guy?

Realistically, there are to discussion threads here. One is why isn't GT apparently attracting the kind of attention an opportunity like Tech presents should attract? What did Bobinski promise us in his press conference, and does Bryce Drew meet those criteria. On the second, I'd say Drew does not meet the criteria Bobinski layed out, not that his isn't a damn good coach.

My point was pretty much, where are the coaches Bobinski was talking about? Did they all turn us down? Are we still talking to them? We'll just have to wait and see.

I'm comfortable with what I've read about Drew, but I've only seen a handful of games coached by him, and there's big faith in someone without much experience.

gtuberfan

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd much prefer if we don't land Capel that he doesn't go to any school that would think of recruiting the south east. So here's hoping vandy likes them some Amaker.

100% agree. No need to have even more schools with good recruiting having an imprint on the Atlanta area. DO NOT want capel at vandy.

Amaker has become a pretty good coach. 4 consecutive NCAAT at Harvard before this year. And an NIT birth before that run.

Chris Collins is the other one you're looking for
Yes he has, but Harvard isnt a basketball juggernaut. He was ran out of town at Michigan. Hurley is the last apple off the tree and the jury is still out. Just saying rat boy's hasn't spawned any golden boys in the coaching world. Capel isn't the one. Honestly I'd rather stay as far away from duke as possible. K is a legend, but when he goes so does duke basketball. A lot of kids go to unc because of unc not Roy Williams. Kids go to duke because of rat boy. Yes, they'll still be good, but not like they are now.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
If we want to play with the big boys, we need to pay with the big boys. Why aren't we paying for the 40 HR guy?

Realistically, there are to discussion threads here. One is why isn't GT apparently attracting the kind of attention an opportunity like Tech presents should attract? What did Bobinski promise us in his press conference, and does Bryce Drew meet those criteria. On the second, I'd say Drew does not meet the criteria Bobinski layed out, not that his isn't a damn good coach.

My point was pretty much, where are the coaches Bobinski was talking about? Did they all turn us down? Are we still talking to them? We'll just have to wait and see.

I'm comfortable with what I've read about Drew, but I've only seen a handful of games coached by him, and there's big faith in someone without much experience.
What comments from MBob are you referring to with regards to the coach he's looking for?