The Search

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
Not unhappy with Drew, but still think Capel was the best choice. Drew brings question marks about recruiting. I also don't like going back to the mid major level for a coach. Drew didn't put Valpo on the map; he's just continued what his dad built. I hope he can recruit and surrounds himself with top notch recruiters. I'll support him 100% and I hope he gets GT basketball back to where we expect, but I don't think this is the slam dunk hire we expected. I'm sure that sentiment won't go over well though.

Agreed. But with Capel, you already have an elite recruiter that's been at an elite program. I just think there's too many question marks with Drew. He hasn't went to war night in and night out in the ACC. He hasn't been a part of a national title run. He hasn't been a part of the type of accomplishments we desire. I hope he gets it done. Ive been a Bryce Drew fan since The Shot, and we'll have to trust MBob on this one. I was just sold on Capel.

You make it sound like Capel desperately wanted to come to Tech, but we held out for Drew. How do you know this to be true? It could easily be Capel deciding he will not leave Duke and GT moving on to their #2 choice - Drew.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't get the fascination with Capel. Blake Griffin was probably going to Okl anyway. He had 3 McDon all-Americans after that, one of whom had a $3000 dollar loan to his mother facilitated by a Capel assistant. Those 3 left early after the season when the investigation began, a season where they went 4-12 in conf, 13-18 overall. He signed 2 4* guys in 2010 but also 3 unranked guys, a 2* and a 3*. They were 5-11, 14-18 in 2010-2011. He was fired after that season with no 4* commitments. Do people really think he gets fired if he was just unlucky with talent leaving early? Like I said, I don't get.

Enfield was my number 1, but of the names getting discussed, Drew looks really good to me. He's taken his team to a post-season tournament all 5 years and won his league 4 out of 5 years. The suggestion that he's on the same level as CBG defies my understanding.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don't think you're in the majority but I think it's pretty much split 51-49. I was in the Drew camp. Was #2 for me behind Wade (on the realistic list) and tied with Enfield. I like Drews X's and O's and if he is able to staff his crew with certain people I think we can make a serious impact in to GA recruiting scene.

Reason why I wanted Capel was because I don't think we are going to be able to recruit at the level we need to by having an X's and O's guy and "fixing" the recruiting with the assistants. IMO it will take a good recruiting staff top to bottom to get us to the level we should be. I also don't like relying on assistants alone for that because great assistants get hired away, and so you really want a strong recruiting HC to minimize the impact of that.

My other cause for concern with Drew, and what makes me think the similar argument about good X's and O's assistants getting pulled away isn't as strong, is that while he has had a ton of success at Valparaiso, it is success in a one bid league. IMO he doesn't just have a ? when it comes to recruiting but also a ? in how does he stand up to the top half of the ACC in terms of planning and adjustments. It's a ? more because of a lack of opportunity to answer it one way or another, but a ? nonetheless.

With Capel there really shouldn't be any ?s about his recruiting at a high enough level, and having won 30 games at OU, I don't think the ?s about his X's and O's are that much larger than the ones Drew has.

With all that said, I still like Drew as a candidate and the comparison of this hire, if it turns out to be true, to the last one is silly. gregory was a middle of the road coach in the conference he was in and the fans of the program the program he was at were happy to see him leave. Drew is, imo, the best coach in the league he is in and the fans love him. And, iirc, Drew has a pretty good rep for recruiting the chicago area, which is a lot closer to recruiting Atlanta than gregory's recruiting base at Dayton. I knew gregory would fail here from day 0, and I'm not alone in that, and it wasn't some deep insight. While there are question marks surrounding Drew, I think he at least has a decent chance for success here, and if we land him then we clearly upgraded at the HC position.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Reason why I wanted Capel was because I don't think we are going to be able to recruit at the level we need to by having an X's and O's guy and "fixing" the recruiting with the assistants. IMO it will take a good recruiting staff top to bottom to get us to the level we should be. I also don't like relying on assistants alone for that because great assistants get hired away, and so you really want a strong recruiting HC to minimize the impact of that.

My other cause for concern with Drew, and what makes me think the similar argument about good X's and O's assistants getting pulled away isn't as strong, is that while he has had a ton of success at Valparaiso, it is success in a one bid league. IMO he doesn't just have a ? when it comes to recruiting but also a ? in how does he stand up to the top half of the ACC in terms of planning and adjustments. It's a ? more because of a lack of opportunity to answer it one way or another, but a ? nonetheless.

With Capel there really shouldn't be any ?s about his recruiting at a high enough level, and having won 30 games at OU, I don't think the ?s about his X's and O's are that much larger than the ones Drew has.

With all that said, I still like Drew as a candidate and the comparison of this hire, if it turns out to be true, to the last one is silly. gregory was a middle of the road coach in the conference he was in and the fans of the program the program he was at were happy to see him leave. Drew is, imo, the best coach in the league he is in and the fans love him. And, iirc, Drew has a pretty good rep for recruiting the chicago area, which is a lot closer to recruiting Atlanta than gregory's recruiting base at Dayton. I knew gregory would fail here from day 0, and I'm not alone in that, and it wasn't some deep insight. While there are question marks surrounding Drew, I think he at least has a decent chance for success here, and if we land him then we clearly upgraded at the HC position.
Hewitt went to a final four at georgia tech does that make him a good coach? Capel had insane talent with Griffin there and couldn't do anything after Capel and Hewitt are to similar to me. I do believe Capel is a better coach than Hewitt fwiw

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Hewitt went to a final four at georgia tech does that make him a good coach? Capel had insane talent with Griffin there and couldn't do anything after Capel and Hewitt are to similar to me

It means he proved he could do it at this level, and it isn't like that team just got by on talent. But I've already addressed that stupid comparison.

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
To all the Capel likers, how do you know we didn't try to get him to come here only for him to turn around and decide he will stay at Duke? How do you know Capel wasn't our first choice, but HE turned it down?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

In the last 33 years Oklahoma has only had three losing seasons. Two were under Capel and the third was the year after he left. One of those years he had three McDonalds all americans on the roster. I know he had some problems with one of his assistants and some issues left over from the previous coach but that doesn't really explain how he let Oklahoma get that bad. Oklahoma is not a hard place to win at.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
To all the Capel likers, how do you know we didn't try to get him to come here only for him to turn around and decide he will stay at Duke? How do you know Capel wasn't our first choice, but HE turned it down?

I don't know that either way. I also don't know whether we'll end up with Drew, but expect that that it will work out that way (it usually does, ie leak of deal, then wait background check before official). For me, it doesn't matter. I'm just glad that it looks like we're going a different way.

GT22

Georgia Tech Fan
Exactly my thoughts

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Except for the internet rumors, what evidence do we have that GT was ever interested in Capel? From what I heard from my Duke friends in Durham, there was never any contact with GT. Maybe they are wrong, but no one at Duke ever said anything about it. Pro or con. There was never any hint that Duke was trying to hang on to him or encourage him to leave. Nothing. Except for the Luke DeCock column suggesting we consider the NC Central coach, there was nothing in the NC newspapers.

I was initially in favor of Capel, but as I learned more about his time at OU I cooled on him a lot.

If Drew is the guy, I am happy.