The Search

gtbync

Jolly Good Fellow
Ask Jabari Parker who was instrumental in his decision to attend Duke. Here's a hint: Jahlil Okafor, ESPN.com's top ranked player in the 2014 class, and Tyus Jones, the top ranked point guard in the class, had the same answer.

"The entire time I felt me and coach Capel built a very strong relationship, and that's a big reason that played a part in me choosing Duke," Jones said. "We have a good relationship, and I felt comfortable with him and I felt that I could trust him."

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
No one has the scoop yet. Bobinski is handling this as well as one can and has leaked nothing. Now, Capel does fit what we are looking for but so do some others. All I know is we want a coach in place in the next couple of days. Hearing it very well could be tomorrow.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If so, that means it is likely Capel. I initially said Jeff was my favorite (I like Bryce Drew as well), but I'm definitely okay with JC. He knows how to win, and he would rake on the recruiting trail, especially guards. It doesn't hurt that he has a huge head start on recruiting Wendell Carter either.

I'm sure that some will be upset due to his Duke ties, but winning - on the trail first, then the floor - changes that quickly. Hope to hear some good news soon.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I friggin hate dook with a passion and I'd be on board with Capel. That said, @BigDaddyBuzz has had some great info during this search and I live behind the paywalls on Scout & Rivals.

I could easily see it being someone else, but who knows. We'll find out soon enough. Meanwhile, more info below.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I've been on the fence about Capel. Maybe my wont for optimism is making me come around to the idea.

A coach like Jeff Capel fits in the ACC. You throw out Bryce Drew or some of these other small school guys, it still feels like an uphill/prove it to me battle. I can visualize Capel on the sideline competing against the elite and being ready right now.

As @connell62 said, recruiting immediately is imperative. We almost can't wait to figure it out in a year. Capel brings instant credibility and could turn us a PG (just speculating) and the best of the rest (elite HS or grad transfer).

Combine recruiting (maybe near Hewitt ability, if what's being said here is true) and the perception, imo, that he can communicate + X and O better than the last two we had, I think we'd be in good spot.

Now that I've talked myself into it, look for someone else to be named HC tomorrow.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
OK lost like 5 guys after the coach getting burger kids paid left and Capel lost his job the next year. Coincidence?