The Search

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I LOL'd at his previous tweet before that. I take it he feels strongly it's NOT Capel.

Dabiz has long been a great GT hoops source. Trust him more than some pay sites. Really knows the local AAU scene and GT hoops...He tweeted this last night about Capel:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Dabiz has long been a great GT hoops source. Trust him more than some pay sites. Really knows the local AAU scene and GT hoops...He tweeted this last night about Capel:

Yup....I agree on Dabiz.

His choice of words in response to Klein's tweet makes it look like he's heard otherwise RE Capel.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is this person known to have insight?

Seems like a rather generic response if you ask me, but interesting nonetheless.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
if the budget is $2M I would spend that on Capel long before Bryce Drew.

If you take Drew that is looking 2 years down the road. Capel should be off and running pretty quickly. Would be trouble for about half our roster as he would be churning it day one.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Because whenever K guys leave the roost they've basically failed.

And it's odd for people to act like Capel is like all the others when he had a decade worth of coaching experience, including 8 years as head coach, before ever coaching for Duke. He already built himself a pretty good reputation, especially as a recruiter, before going to Duke.

And on top of that, people put far too much emphasis on coaching trees. They don't mean much.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My thoughts exactly, and he is a proven recruiter. As dtm mentioned, he already has relationships in our area and has recruited top level guys for years. Drew hasn't competed against the big boys at Valpo for his guys... Not to say Drew cannot draw talent, but we would need some patience and it wouldn't be as quick of a turnaround.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
if the budget is $2M I would spend that on Capel long before Bryce Drew.

If you take Drew that is looking 2 years down the road. Capel should be off and running pretty quickly. Would be trouble for about half our roster as he would be churning it day one.
Heck half our roster graduates or has run out of eligibility.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yep more than half of the existing roster is gone but I was actually getting to the ones that are left. I expect he would churn the returnees to get spaces for new faces. I can think of at least 2 and possibly 3 that might not stay around.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Yep more than half of the existing roster is gone but I was actually getting to the ones that are left. I expect he would churn the returnees to get spaces for new faces. I can think of at least 2 and possibly 3 that might not stay around.

We currently have 2 open ships and will have 5 for next year as things are. Space isn't an issue.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
We currently have 2 open ships and will have 5 for next year as things are. Space isn't an issue.
You may be right but I think you could also be surprised at how much roster management he may do. Or at least try to do. I think he would look at this roster and think he has major short term work to do via transfer and 5th year srs. And I haven't even really looked at unsigned seniors that could be interesting.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Just saw the thread on the Hive saying Capel is coming to interview per WSB. I am OK with this one - more than some of the other candidates I saw. Not as good as Marshall for instance but a very good recruiter. Expect we will have an above average PG transfer within 2 weeks.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Just saw the thread on the Hive saying Capel is coming to interview per WSB. I am OK with this one - more than some of the other candidates I saw. Not as good as Marshall for instance but a very good recruiter. Expect we will have an above average PG transfer within 2 weeks.

It is from Zach Klein, who has a poor track record on Tech news, so I wouldn't count it higher than rumor.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I enjoy how close to the vest this is being played. The suspense is killing me, but in an enjoyable way.
There are four main options here and only one of them is good:
A. We've got this great hire on the hook & are working the details out while managing to keep a lid on it. Since Bobinski has such a low profile he can wander in & out of other team's coaches offices without being detected. We're also getting a steal because he only wants $500k/year with no golden parachute and he's the next coming of John Wooden.
B. We got turned down but our main target(s) and are regrouping trying to figure out what to do. The B list is looking better by the day. The longer this lasts the more we end up paying for a lower profile hire.
C. We expected phone calls after the announcement from interested suitors & are either waiting next to the phone hoping it rings or it has been an endless series of losers clogging the line. Maybe we contacted their contacts trying to drum up some interest, but no bites yet. Either way, we've not spoken to anyone we've wanted & Bobinski's got his lizard on the line so the search team is about to go into panic mode.
D. We never had a plan and are fumbling around trying to find our way. The search team is trying to find a case of lipstick to put on the pig.

I sure hope it's A, but it's smelling like C.