The Search

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Look I'm no Gregory fan. He should've never been hired to begin with but if we wait one more year to fire him it gives us more money to go get another coach. If we are getting outbid by ****ing Vandy then obviously we should've waited. No matter who the coach is next year we will suck.

Do you have any idea just how MUCH money Vandy can spend? Take a look at their endowment and get back to us. I'm not defending Mboob in any shape, form or fashion but if it a matter of money solely Tech vs Vandy, Tech's going to lose every time.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I hope you are right, but even if so, I still don't see how MBob should be held responsible for that. Drew CHOSE the team he wanted to coach, for whatever reasons he had.

I would suggest that folk's alleged problem with MBob's handling of the situation isn't so much that he did not land Drew, but that he should not have let the Capel option fall off the table until Drew was absolutely secure (and/or he should not have fired Gregory if it wasn't a sure thing we would end up with a better coach, which it is possible we might not).

Last edited:

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
Unless he comes out tomorrow and has a hire that is amazing and no one has mentioned before, there is no speculation. Only the fact that he botched it.

I would suggest that folk's alleged problem with MBob's handling of the situation isn't so much that he did not land Drew, but that he should not have let the Capel option fall of the table until Drew was absolutely secure (and/or he should not have fired Gregory if it wasn't a sure thing we would end up with a better coach, which it is possible we might not).
Again, it is only SPECULATION that MBob "let the Capel option fall off of the table." We don't know what happened there either. As far as whether MBob should have fired Gregory, you think MBob is taking a bashing today, just imagine what it would have been like if he had not fired Gregory.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Again, it is only SPECULATION that MBob "let the Capel option fall off of the table." We don't know what happened there either. As far as whether MBob should have fired Gregory, you think MBob is taking a bashing today, just imagine what it would have been like if he had not fired Gregory.

I agree. The Capel thing is based on speculation (and some alleged insider info). I am just trying to explain to you why I think some folks are frustrated with him.

As for the firing of Gregory thing, I was 100% for firing him last year. However, given (1) the coaching options this year, (2) the likelihood that we are going to be bad next year no matter the coach, and (3) the prospect of paying off another year of both Gregory and Hewitt, I was always in favor of keeping Gregory for one more year. I was surprised when he was fired and the first thing I said was: "MBob better have someone good already lined up. If he is just taking a shot, I am against this move now." It is possible the same thing could have happened with the search had we fired Gregory after this year, but we would be in about $2MM better shape if we had waited.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
Unrelated to this opening directly, but Lakers are rumored to be after Calipari and he is interested if the money is right.

Would open up arguably the biggest job in America. Interested how those dominoes fall from there and how it would affect any other openings.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Unrelated to this opening directly, but Lakers are rumored to be after Calipari and he is interested if the money is right.

Would open up arguably the biggest job in America. Interested how those dominoes fall from there and how it would affect any other openings.

We need this to happen so badly. Start the dominos falling again.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

Cal has been mentioned with one or more NBA jobs every year. I was actually surprised when he turned down the Cavs job with Lebron the last time around. I am fairly confident there is no way he takes the Lakers job now. He would already qualify as one of the highest paid NBA coaches based on his UK salary, he has another monster class coming in next year (as do Duke and Mich. St.) and, most importantly, his son will start as a walk-on next year at UK. LINK I don't think there is any way that Cal leaves until his son is gone.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Let me say one thing. I read on multiple sites that Drew had verbally accepted the job as late as 10:30 last evening and then Vandy came back to him today as they got cold feet with the Candidate(s) they had originally settled on, thinking he was a "safer" option. At that point he went back to MBob saying he wanted to see what Vandy had to say and was told that we had and understanding in place with him and that if he left, basically, that told him (MBob) that Drew wasn't planning on honoring it and he was taking the Vandy job and that would be how he would have to read it. Drew said he understood MBob's position and went the Nashville route.

Basically it was a "Constructive" Breach of Contract by Drew as we had an Offer on the Table that he accepted, and there was Bargain for Exchange, and then GA Tech has now suffered Damages due to his Breach in that another viable Candidate (Capel) withdrew his name based on the idea Drew had accepted.

The "bad guy" in this case was Drew because he either innocently broke his word with MBob or intentionally misled him as leverage against Vandy for more money.

On the other hand, MBob is supposed to be a College Basketball "expert" and if he blows this then I think he needs to pack up and leave as it's clear to me he has no idea how to handle the Football side of the business.

mj claz

Jolly Good Fellow
We need this to happen so badly. Start the dominos falling again.

Is this sarcastic? How would this help? UK would probably just hire someone like Tony Bennett and we would just be left with another school to compete with for the current pool of candidates.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Is this sarcastic? How would this help? UK would probably just hire someone like Tony Bennett and we would just be left with another school to compete with for the current pool of candidates.

Give me a break here, I'm reaching for anything positive.