The Search

gtfan088

Georgia Tech Fan
Our "insiders" were still suggesting Drew was the guy even after reports that he was the front runner for Vandy surfaced, which leads me to believe that those with a more comprehensive view of the picture were a little better informed. It's easy to think you know the whole picture when you'r privy to a small slice of it instead of gathering info from all parties (i.e. Valpo/Drew associates, Tech, Vandy, etc.).

BTW, I don't mean this as a shot to those on here with connections. Just pointing out that sometimes there's a bigger picture that's hard to see when you have partisan interests.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Some random AJC commenter threw out the Northern Iowa coach who I'd never heard of, Ben Jacobson. Gotta say, his resume is better than Gregory's was, and better than Kelsey and guys like that....

His resume makes you scratch your head. Great success his first 4 years, and somehow he stays at N Iowa. Been there for 10 years now, and has had varying degrees of success. Post season play of some sort 7/10 years, and while he's never had a losing record (overall and in conference), he's had some funny swings in his record. Not a consistent 20+ winner, but he's never come in lower than 4th in his conference...which includes Gregg Marshall's Wichita State.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
His resume makes you scratch your head. Great success his first 4 years, and somehow he stays at N Iowa. Been there for 10 years now, and has had varying degrees of success. Post season play of some sort 7/10 years, and while he's never had a losing record (overall and in conference), he's had some funny swings in his record. Not a consistent 20+ winner, but he's never come in lower than 4th in his conference...which includes Gregg Marshall's Wichita State.

He just signed a 10 year contract. He is a lifer there most likely.

Kmag

Jolly Good Fellow
Geez, I feel deflated. I cannot see why any SEC program outside of Kentucky would be a legit choice over an ACC team in the middle of Atlanta. We truly are a sleeping giant for the right coach. History shows you that this can be a great job. Recruiting in the ATL should be easy here, why would a mid major coach turn us down?

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
A potential benefit of this swing and a miss being so public is that agents of disgruntled coaches or big names that we haven't reached out to may put in a feeler to GT expressing their interest in the position. Could open up a wider pool of candidates.

This is standard practice for Free agents in other sports, wouldn't be surprised if it was the same way with coaches.

Ramblinwreck07

Jolly Good Fellow
A couple ways to save this:

1. Go pay whatever necessary to get a Wright or a Marshall or someone of that ilk (99% unlikely).

2. Go crawling and begging back to Capel and do whatever necessary to get him.

Just about anything else will end in embarrassment for this search.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I kind of see this as Bryce Drew looking at the challenge that comes along with GT and that associated with Vandy, and deciding he wasn't ready to take on the challenge of competing with half a dozen HoF coaches on and off the court, while trying to rehabilitating a program. If I were a guy with as little HC experience as he has, I'd be reluctant as well. tic

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if this is the post he mentioned or not, but the one that jumped out at me says, "For all we know he was playing Tech off Vandy, and he double-crossed Bobinski." I think that is entirely within reason.

It is also possible that it wasn't so villainous. My best guess is that Drew was genuinely interested in taking the Tech job and told Mbob that was the case. Then, Vandy came on stronger, likely upped their offer a good bit, and Drew changed his mind. While that may have effectively resulted in Tech and Vandy playing off each other, based on what I have heard about Drew's personality and character, I find it unlikely he was just using Tech to up the Vandy offer. I suspect he had genuine interest in both.

It is also possible that it wasn't so villainous. My best guess is that Drew was genuinely interested in taking the Tech job and told Mbob that was the case. Then, Vandy came on stronger, likely upped their offer a good bit, and Drew changed his mind. While that may have effectively resulted in Tech and Vandy playing off each other, based on what I have heard about Drew's personality and character, I find it unlikely he was just using Tech to up the Vandy offer. I suspect he had genuine interest in both.
I hope you are right, but even if so, I still don't see how MBob should be held responsible for that. Drew CHOSE the team he wanted to coach, for whatever reasons he had.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Bottom line: Our number one choice left the barn. The other candidate (Capel) publicly withdrew. GT still has no coach, and our search is looking like we are fumbling.

Now I ask you: If you are in the fortunate "1 in 6 grads is a millionaire" group, would you have confidence in giving your money to people in the Athletic Department and trusting them to do the right thing with it? You don't get to be in that company by doing foolish things with your money. Given the last 10 years of mind numbing decisions with the department's money, I'd have alligator arms when Ma Tech comes calling for donations.